This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childishness at Wal-Mart

I'm traumatized. I don't get anywhere near the amount of exposure to rude and/or violent people as a lot of you seem to. I've worked retail for 20 years, so I've seen my share, but today's sighting made me cut my shopping trip short and get the hell home.

I went to Wal-Mart to exchange some shoe liners I had bought, and to get a few items. (For one thing, that's the only store that carries the coloured copper wire I use in my jewellery). It wasn't too busy, but thanks to Calgary's labour shortage, there was only 1 lane open besides the self-checkouts. Whatever, I use the SCOs most of the time anyway, because I kind of think they are neat and they really speed things up, I think.

As with pretty well every other self-checkout on the freaking *planet,* there was one line for all 4 of the checkout stations. People went to whichever till was free when it was their turn. That's normal, right?

Well, one guy skipped the line and went straight to the checkout. The person who had been next in line said "hey! it's not your turn!", echoed by the other 4 people behind him, including myself. Mr Impatient turned around and instantly started cursing him out, saying that the other guy was too stupid to stand in the right line, and obviously there hadn't been a line at that checkout, f-- this, f-- that, etc. Once again, everyone in line said no, you have to wait, it's not your turn. Mr Impatient ignored us and kept focusing on the other guy, even as he backed down from the self-checkout and headed toward the manned checkout lane. He was threatening to punch the guy out, and all kinds of stuff - and the other guy was responding in the same vein. They were talking back and forth like this even as the line-obeying guy was doing his checkout!

Eventually I lost MY temper and snapped," oh, for Chirist's sake! You are both acting like CHILDREN!" and glared at them both. I was in between them at this point.

They shut up. (Teacher Voice is a pretty useful skill).

However, I was pretty upset after that and I decided to come straight home instead of going to another store where I wanted some bike stuff that is on sale. It will probably all be gone now

*pats and gives cookies*

Well... maybe they'll have your bike stuff tomorrow?

*is hopeful*
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

kudos on silencing them

maybe the summer heat is making people stupid?
      "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        *pats and gives cookies*

Well... maybe they'll have your bike stuff tomorrow?

*is hopeful*
        *feels better after cookies*

I'll go and see. There's nothing I desperately need, but I'm doing a long ride on Sunday (100 km) and I thought it might be nice to have a smaller pannier or a little rack bag. (I use a pair of big panniers to carry all my stuff when I bike to work or school, or when I run errands like today. But the ride on Sunday is supported - rest stops and support vehicles all over the place - so I really only need a spare tube, my keys & credit cards, a little thingy of sunscreen, and my rain shell that scrunches up really small. Heck, I can probably fit almost everything in my jersey pockets, but I feel insecure without a little bag of "just in case"... too many years in Girl Guides )

I told a couple of friends about what happened and they immediately asked if it was that specific WM location. Apparently it has a reputation for being extra-crazy. I'll keep that in mind from now on!!

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
          As with pretty well every other self-checkout on the freaking *planet,* there was one line for all 4 of the checkout stations. People went to whichever till was free when it was their turn. That's normal, right?
          Is that how it's suppose to work!?

Seriously, that's not what happens here...

There's two types, there's the full-length checkouts that each have their own line. Or there's the one's you're talking about, where there's 4 small ones near each other.

I never knew the small ones were suppose to share one line though... everyone here just gets behind the one that has the fewest people
          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

OK, maybe that's a Canadian thing? I've never seen individual lines for the self checkouts. Sometimes there is even a little rope to show where to wait. Most of the SCO areas are pretty cramped anyway.

Comment

You get a ROPE too!?

...so not fair...
              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Here in PA we have the one line for the SCOs at all the store's that have them (our walmart isn't gifted with them yet)
                Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

at least at the Smith's that I regular they have 4 SCOs and 2 lines... the SCO area has 2 machines on each side and normally 2 lines will form up with people waiting for whichever of the 2 machines on their side opens up first... and yeah, in Utah we are vigilante enough to tear someone a new one if they dare mess up the order we have set up.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                  X