Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GMA Reporter teaches people how to haggle...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    Does this one involve lots and lots of ?
    Oh, yeah.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
    I bet you had them donated, though. I remember you saying you'd had sex toys donated.
    True on both counts.

There were many days in which we all wished they provided gloves.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Pah, that's nothing!

Try working at a dry-cleaner's sometime...

Comment

I did make a comment:

"Tory lied several times to get her discounts, so I guess lying to sales associates doesn't count as real lying. Of course, maybe she should discuss this with her minister/priest/rabbi, but I'm sure they would approve.And to LisaKNYC, you couldn't have worked in retail for long, or you would know that the customer is NOT always right. Sometimes they're complete lying scum, who scream and throw tantrums, damage merchandise, trash fitting rooms and displays, and then treat sales associates as servants they are free to order about.When I was in retail, a long time ago, the markup on clothing from wholesale to retail was usually 100%. That means that if a blouse cost the store $10, we sold it for $20. Now, however, thanks to retailers and shoppers who demand lower and lower prices, jobs making these goods have nearly all been sent to other countries, where the employees are treated like slaves, working long days for pennies, then the goods that are shipped back only cost the retailer $5 at wholesale, but they mark them up to $25, then put them on sale for 40% off, which means the retailer is still making $10. Of course, to maintain those prices and costs, the manufacturing jobs are gone, sales associates no longer make a living wage, even with commissions, and the goods are of poorer quality. Welcome to 21st America: If you're not rich, you're sc**wed.
        Posted by:
        wonderif1 8:36 PM"
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

You know, this so reminds me of my ex-husband. He'd do the same annoying thing. I left him at a store once because he felt that haggling for a motherboard was more important than our date. I should have taken that as a sign that he wasn't worth my time.

I say if you don't have the coupon, either go home and get it, or just don't buy the item. Period.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            I did make a comment:
            I knew that someone from here had made a comment!

"CS.com....we're everywhere!" <.< >.>
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              I did make a comment:

"Tory lied several times to get her discounts, so I guess lying to sales associates doesn't count as real lying. Of course, maybe she should discuss this with her minister/priest/rabbi, but I'm sure they would approve.And to LisaKNYC, you couldn't have worked in retail for long, or you would know that the customer is NOT always right. Sometimes they're complete lying scum, who scream and throw tantrums, damage merchandise, trash fitting rooms and displays, and then treat sales associates as servants they are free to order about.When I was in retail, a long time ago, the markup on clothing from wholesale to retail was usually 100%. That means that if a blouse cost the store $10, we sold it for $20. Now, however, thanks to retailers and shoppers who demand lower and lower prices, jobs making these goods have nearly all been sent to other countries, where the employees are treated like slaves, working long days for pennies, then the goods that are shipped back only cost the retailer $5 at wholesale, but they mark them up to $25, then put them on sale for 40% off, which means the retailer is still making $10. Of course, to maintain those prices and costs, the manufacturing jobs are gone, sales associates no longer make a living wage, even with commissions, and the goods are of poorer quality. Welcome to 21st America: If you're not rich, you're sc**wed.
              Posted by:
              wonderif1 8:36 PM"
              Don't you know us retail monkeys aren't real people? sheesh. So lying to sales associates is ok: they're not really people! Just like berating them in person in order to feel better about your psychological problems is fine too, if they're not real people. >.<

My therapist tells me many people don't actually view clerks and associates as real people, but just robots who have to smile and serve. Many people self medicate by purposely causing scenes and pushing them around. Amazing. Just thought I'd share that.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                Don't you know us retail monkeys aren't real people? sheesh. So lying to sales associates is ok: they're not really people! Just like berating them in person in order to feel better about your psychological problems is fine too, if they're not real people. >.<
                Plus you get to touch and grope and fondle them all you like, because if they would ask you to stop, they'd lose a customer and that isn't recommended.

/Dear Abby is a Craftsman: A Tool For Life
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                  I say if you don't have the coupon, either go home and get it, or just don't buy the item. Period.
                  Or you can buy the item for the full price, if you really need it. But I got your point. Under no circumstances is it okay to lose half an hour haggling for a discount that you have no right to.

Heck, I'd rather spend a few more bucks and save 5 minutes than the other way around...
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I also left a comment on that site.

"This is outrageous. The first store she went to, she was overly pushy. Had I been the manager, I would have had a spine and asked her to leave. If you don't want to shop in my store, and are subsequently wasting my employees' time asking them questions you already know the answer to, you're already costing me money. I thought she was just out and out rude to the man working the kiosk, if I had of seen her in a mall doing that, I would be ashamed for my species.

When she lied about having the coupons, I think the sales associate knew she was lying, but because she asked quite nicely, I think I even would've helped her out at that point.

I can't see this actually helping many people, it'll more likely just cause loads of infuriating customers that retail workers are going to have to deal with, and there are enough of those already."

I think outrageous was a bit strong of a word, but I was outraged.

Comment

If you were outraged, then it's outrageous, at least to you, no matter what.

I haven't seen the segment yet, but I can imagine how it went down and I stick to my part : marked price are marked price, period. Unless you're at a flea-market / second-hand shop, you don't haggle. Even if the store is still ahead by giving you a 90% discount, they need the money to maintain the store in a clean and welcoming state, pay their employees and invest in new services you might find useful.
                      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

A flea market or tag/garage sale is the appropriate place to haggle, not a Macys, KMart, WM, supermarket, etc. If I was the manager I would have loved to make an announcement over the PA "Attention shopper wearing <color shirt, pants, etc> in <dept.> We are not a f***ing flea market b***h. If you don't like the price you are free to leave. Got it! Good. Not stop wasting everyones time"

The only time a retail store should give non-sale discounts are when it is a large order, say food or party supplies, for a charity or community event, if a mistake was made on a custom order, etc. End of story.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                          Funny I dont see anyone flying off the deep end. ...
                          Flying off the deep end? Hardly.
                          Here is the original quote that got me to say "deep end"
                          Quoth jedifarfy View Post
                          I was yelling at the tv, I was so mad. ...

Quoth Samaliel View Post
                          I haven't seen the segment yet, but I can imagine how it went down and I stick to my part : marked price are marked price, period. Unless you're at a flea-market / second-hand shop, you don't haggle. Even if the store is still ahead by giving you a 90% discount, they need the money to maintain the store in a clean and welcoming state, pay their employees and invest in new services you might find useful.
                          What about jewelry stores? or car dealerships? those are two places that haggling is still done. I myself couldn't haggle myself out of a wet paper bag, but it's a very fine art. As I stated in the first post, there are places you can haggle, and places you shouldn't. But i wouldn't limit it to just a flea market/second hand shop.

Comment

Quoth CorDarei View Post
                            What about jewelry stores? or car dealerships? those are two places that haggling is still done. I myself couldn't haggle myself out of a wet paper bag, but it's a very fine art. As I stated in the first post, there are places you can haggle, and places you shouldn't. But i wouldn't limit it to just a flea market/second hand shop.
                            Still, the point is that you don't haggle at big, chain retail establishments over $0.50 on a $3.00 item.

My attempts at haggling at jewelery stores, as well, have been restricted to sighing and saying "Oh, I love that ring but I only have $20 on me," when seeing a great hand-hammered silver ring for $25. Shocked me silly when the person sold it to me, too, as I'd always grown up with the sticker price being the sticker price.
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth CorDarei View Post
                              What about jewelry stores? or car dealerships? those are two places that haggling is still done.
                              I can understand haggling there, but not being from a haggling culture, I probably wouldn't bother trying. At a used car dealership, I might consider haggling, but if it's for a new car, I wouldn't.

Comment

When it comes to big ticket items (and I'm talking tens of thousands of dollars) then maybe a little POLITE is ok. But not something like
                                "I WANT 50% OFF!!!!"

Maybe something like "If I pay half of the amount now, can I get the extended warranty free please?"

If you seriously need to haggle over a 50c pack of gum, you need help.
                                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                                X