This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel suck, or how to insult a potential customer

SO and I are out of town for a wedding. We've booked a hotel that you have to get a wi-fi prepaid access card for. Apparently the person taking my reservation chose the non-inclusive option rather than the inclusive option. My fault for not verifying, as the price per night was significantly cheaper for non-inclusive and I didn't clue in on it.

So as I'm checking in, the clerk is giving me a lecture about why I didn't book the all inclusive (again, I thought I had; it's a moot point now). They offer one and seven day prepaid cards. I tell SO to grab a 7 day as we're going to be here for 4 days and we are going to have a lot of downtime. SO and I spent most of today taking turns on WoW and Pogo, just to kill time. She also makes it a point of arguing with me that I'm wasting my money on the card, I should just get the day pass; yeah, because $10/day is so much more cost effective than $20/7 days (it works out to be $2.86/day) . I may not be good in math, but I'm not that dumb.

SO can see that I'm tired. I've been up since 4 am, and getting me up that friggin early is a frickin' miracle in his book, so he knows that I am not going to be the most friendly person at 2 in the afternoon when I really need a nap, am hungry and will most likely bite someone's head off if they aren't careful.

So he finally jumps in, tells the clerk that we want the prepaid card, why are you refusing to sell it to us. The clerk turns to him and in a very snotty tone, tells him "Sir, I am talking to your woman, not you. You need to learn to shut up and speak when spoken to." Cue utter and total silence in the world as I hold out my hand for my ID and credit card and very quietly and calmly say "give those back to me." At the same time, SO has backed away from me and the counter and gives me wide berth as I stalk out to the car, pull out my PDA and look up the number for the corporate offices. It's a blur for the next half hour as I tell the CSR that I am canceling my reservations, I will be staying at the hotel the wedding is at and that if there is a charge from this hotel, I will be disputing it fully. Meantime the clerk is standing by the passenger side door threatening me with the police and other things, all within listening range of the CSR; I put the phone on speaker at one point and said to the clerk "go ahead, tell the rep what you just told me." The clerk shut up, but SO was more than happy to repeat it.

Long story short, we did not stay at the hotel last night nor tonight, since there wasn't a room available for the wedding party. SOs sister put us up for two nights, and there will be a couple of rooms open at the hotel where the wedding is taking place tomorrow. SIL managed to negotiate us a discounted rate for tomorrow and Sunday nights, and I have been talking to various people all day from the corporate offices of hotel we are not staying at to get the full story.
    Last edited by fma_fanatic; 08-02-2008, 02:33 AM.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
    The clerk turns to him and in a very snotty tone, tells him "Sir, I am talking to your woman, not you. You need to learn to shut up and speak when spoken to."
    Someone's not going to have that job for long! Stupid, STUPID thing to say to the customers!

Good for you, letting corporate know about that rude clerk instead of just putting up with it.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

WOW. That's possibly the worst way that clerk could've handled that. What a waste of carbon.
      "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
      "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
      X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

That Clerk sounds just like Idiot Boy. Thankfully, Idiot Boy doesn't work for my hotel. I dunno what the hell his problem was, I would have been happy to sell you the upgrades and internet card (not that it matters, internet is free at my hotel).
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

What an arse!! Please let us know how it turns out!!

I hope the wedding went well!
          "You're perfect yes it's true, but without meeeee you're only you!"

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
            That Clerk sounds just like Idiot Boy. Thankfully, Idiot Boy doesn't work for my hotel. I dunno what the hell his problem was, I would have been happy to sell you the upgrades and internet card (not that it matters, internet is free at my hotel).
            yeah ditto... I would expect to get fired after a stunt like that... also I too would be more than happy to work with people wanting to spend money, because spending money is what pays my check.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

The thing is, I was as nice as I could, considering I could have been a raging bitch owing to how I felt. Even SO had that "did I just hear that right look?" before he gave me the wide berth. SO is not very confrontational, so most times I have to prod him to take care of his problems. Other times he handles it on his own. I think it depends on his mood.

Anywho, I'll report back later. Getting ready for the wedding.
              Random conversation:

Comment

Have fun!
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

D-Did I read that right? Someone was stupid enough to be that rude and continue being rude while the victem of thier rudeness calls corp right in front of them?!

... Well they can wave goodbye to that job!
                  "Honestly officer, he asked for a shot and I gave him one. Why do you need the handcuffs?" - MannersMakethMan

Comment

It doesn't take a psychic to see where that boy's headed... the unemployment line. Corporate's going to have little trouble aiming for that huge target he's hung on his ass, complete with marquee lights and a blazing pink neon sign that says 'FIRE ME!'.
                    Last edited by IT Grunt; 08-03-2008, 12:39 AM.
                    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Oh wow...that takes a lot of balls the size of New York. I would have bitch-slapped the clerk for saying what he did.
                      He better start knowing where the unemployment office is cause he's gonna need it.

Comment

Quoth KMMCurly View Post
                        D-Did I read that right? Someone was stupid enough to be that rude and continue being rude while the victem of thier rudeness calls corp right in front of them?!

... Well they can wave goodbye to that job!
                        Hoo yeah, you did. But wait! It gets better.

Back from the wedding it was loverly, so now I have a new BIL. Yay!

So SO and I talk to the check in desk at the new hotel we're supposed to be staying at. Only, they don't know anything about what's going on, despite my SIL standing next to us, in her wedding veil, make up and everything. The only thing she didn't have on was her dress. The clerk tells her there are no rooms available because the rooms that were to be open today have since been snatched up by other people who checked in 5 minutes before we got there.

So SIL goes from blushing bride to raging bridezilla which surprises us all, as she is the calm type of person who doesn't let stuff like this get to her. Somehow, someone had released the rooms, despite the fact that they weren't supposed to be released because several cousins came in the day of the wedding and needed a place to bunk for the night. And oh yeah, as I'm checking my credit card balance online (free wifi from Starbucks), I see that I had been charged the full 4 night stay from the bad hotel.

What follows is the soft thumping of several heads hitting walls as we try to figure what the heck to do now.

Somehow, we get it all worked out, and I managed to get the charge disputed with the CC company, but I will have to print up and sign some paperwork when I get home. I plan on making sure that the hotel chain knows how incredibly unhappy I am. I was hoping for good service. I stayed at this particular hotel chain several years back when I first moved to Missouri and I had been impressed at how accomodating they were to me, seeing as I stayed with them for nearly a month.
                        Random conversation:

Comment

PM me the name of the hotel chain? It sounds like a hotel I had some dealings with a while ago myself and I'm curious if it's the same company.

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                            It doesn't take a psychic to see where that boy's headed... the unemployment line. Corporate's going to have little trouble aiming for that huge target he's hung on his ass, complete with marquee lights and a blazing pink neon sign that says 'FIRE ME!'.
                            Unless the clerk has buddies higher up in management who can make the whole incident "go away."

Which I deeply hope isn't the case, but never say never.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If the guy was "just a clerk" like I am (and nearly everyone else I know) then there is no such thing as making the incident "go away."

It just isn't done like that. But there are the rare few that do it.

This is why I want to own a hotel. Make the hotel stay and work experiance better.

Comment

Working...
                              X