This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Sense of Humor...

My sister forwarded me a recent issue of Despair.com's mailing list. For those unfamiliar with the site, it specializes in parodies of the classic motivational posters. One part of the letter struck me as perfect for this board. The author included a feedback letter regarding one of their images, found here: http://www.despair.com/government.html

This is a direct copy and paste of what was issued, names were deleted but not by me.

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:22:35 -0400
    Subject: Re: The Wailing List - Government
    To: The Wailing List

Your latest design about GOVERNMENT is reprehensible in the extreme! What are we to infer from it? That you would prefer anarchy? Everyone loves to mock the government- right up until the point where they actually need it! And make no mistake, you (EXPLETIVE REMOVED) need it!

Ever driven on a state highway? Guess where it came from? It wasn't built by American Indians! It was built by your own government!

Ever send your children to public school? Ever call 911 in an emergency? Ever visit a public park? I'm sure snotty (EXPLETIVE REMOVED) like you wouldn't dare taint yourself by depending on government in such a situation! Right?!

Hey- here's a funny question!

You ever been on a watchlist? Well, if you haven't, you're about to be. I'm forwarding your "hilarious" new design to a friend at the DHS who loves to stay abreast of "comedians" who mock government. One of your call center employees was kind enough to tell me the name of the gentleman who wrote that oh-so-funny Demotivater(sic)- so please tell Daniel (REMOVED) that his name will be included in my e-mail. We'll see how funny he thinks it is the next time he tries to hop on a commercial jet! I think he'll see the exquisite irony of the whole situation right then and there- when he has his no-no zones thoroughly scrutinized by a- wait for it!- A GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE!

If you think I'm kidding, think again. Tell your snarky little coworker Mr. (REMOVED) he ought to read up on "MAIN CORE". Because it's going to be reading up on HIM in about an hour from now!

Sincerely annoyed-as-hell-at-you,
    Allison (REMOVED)

As a response to this and other feedbacks, the powers that be at Despair.com created Sanity.

Remind me to invite her to my next party. I'm sure she'd really liven it up.

Comment

I love how she goes from "you shouldn't mock government" to "I'm going to make sure you get arrested for using you're first amendment right to free speech."

She could have an argument with herself.
      My Pointless Links collection.

Comment

Quoth redmountaingoldfish View Post
        I love how she goes from "you shouldn't mock government" to "I'm going to make sure you get arrested for using you're first amendment right to free speech."

She could have an argument with herself.
        Unfortunately, those types are perfectly serious. Watch the Starship Troopers movies (they just made number 3 as a Direct-to-Video) for an idea of the kind of government they'd probably love to have.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

People like that don't deserve their First (or other) Amendment rights.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

i love how she/he uses threats of being monitored by the government to back up her tirade.

... the irony of course is that... if the claims were true... said email-writer would actually encourage wasting the time of the government and tax-payer money just to enforce a grudge over a joke.

(and come to think of it, that kind of abuse of authority carries a possibility of prison time)

Comment

Ok, somebody forgot their coffee this morning, methinks.

Seriously, couldn't she get in trouble for e-mailing threats like that? You can bet that if I were the one to receive that e-mail, I'd be looking for the e-mail writer's boss and sending it on.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Hey, I thought the image was funny. That lady just needs to lighten up.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                X