This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilarious Karma

This is a story about the jerk who used to own a local gaming store I went to. But first a little background. There's a game called Warhammer 40k. This game uses plastic and pewter miniatures in it. Said miniatures are not cheap and after assembling and painting a good sized army you've spent many hours and hundreds of dollars on them. And the standard case for them is a large blocky black plastic box.

So this guy who used to own the game shop now works for the state goverment. While at work one day, some guys break into his car and take the usuals like CDs that type of thing. During the course of the theft said thieves tossed his carrying case onto the sidewalk (I'm picturing them opening it, saying WTF is this, then ditching it). Someone walking on the sidewalk thought the unmarked black box sitting next to a goverment building. So they called it into the bomb squad, who then preceded to detonate it.

I nearly fell off my couch when I heard about this.
    Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Oh GAWD no... damn, that sucks. Getting a case full of Warhammer figures blown up?

Thanks for the morning laugh, here. I don't suppose you've got some sucky stories about that jerk somewhere?
    You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Nah, I didn't deal with him too much personally. He was just an ass, and ripped people off on occasion, I do know that when he sold the shop to a friend of his, there was some issues after the new owner filed his taxes, apparently the jerk never done them when he owned it.

It's all good, the shop I go to now is great, the owner just gave me discounts since I was dropping $150 to start my Battlefleet Gothic fleet.

Comment

Oh the pewtermanity!!!
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Holy...well, IMO he was asking for it by not doing something to indicate the box held game figures (I just keep my DDM warbands in dice bags, easier to transport and tell what they are).

I remember those carrying cases...LastBoss put a few on ebay and didn't tell me what had to be shipped until it was too late (took me a day, many minor injuries and a lot of swearing to get them packaged properly using the store's pitiful crap supplies).
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

they would have still detnated if, because any label he would ohave put on it would have looked hand made and just slapped on and better safe than sorry

Comment

Look on the bright side- could there really BE a better way to destroy them?

If they must be destroyed, and everything is eventually, then it's just too appropriate for warhammer miniatures to get detonated
              "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Quoth Arm View Post
                If they must be destroyed, and everything is eventually, then it's just too appropriate for warhammer miniatures to get detonated
                Are tentacles dragging them down into the Abyss an option, here?

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                  Are tentacles dragging them down into the Abyss an option, here?
                  There are 40k so I think lost in the Warp would be more appropriate

Comment

I just went in and looked at my husband's carrying case; it is a square black bag that says 'Army Carrier Platoon' on the side.

I would have blown it up too!
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Yeah, anything you can put on the side of it can be placed on the side of a bomb by a bomb-maker.

I'm a bit concerned about this immediate "it's a bomb" assumption. Are things really that bad over there? Was it right ouside the government buildings or something?

Comment

Up against the side of one from what I've been told. It's state goverment and there are spots were you just have the street, the sidewalk, then a state goverment building next to it. I'm not sure what agency it was though.

Comment

Just as an aside when EOD deal with an IED they don't (at least in the UK) blow it up in the traditional sense.

They load an explosive charge into a barrel and said barrel has water within it, once the charge is initiated the water comes out the end and disrupts the device completely.

It does it this way because you cannot compress water...
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                            I'm a bit concerned about this immediate "it's a bomb" assumption. Are things really that bad over there? Was it right ouside the government buildings or something?
                            Well, we've got a lot of panicking, over-reacting sheeple over here since 9/11.

There are still some people that think Cottonwood Mall is a target. (Although we actually do have a couple of hard targets in NM.)
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                            X