This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery store sighting

I was at the store today, doing some shopping and my last stop was at the frozen section to get some chicken breasts. In front of the freezer display(it's really a bunker) was a woman standing there yakking on her phone. Two other customers were waiting patiently for her to move. After a few moments, she saw us moved just a few inches, then went back to her call.

This went on for a minute or so and I finally had enough. It was bad enough she was yakking her personal info over the phone; if one of us had a pencil and paper we could have gotten her credit card number, as she was apparently ordering something over the phone.

I finally spoke up.

Me: Ma'am I'm sorry, but could you please move so we can get into the bunker there?
    Woman: *glares, then moves off* Would you believe that? Some girl thinks she can tell me what to do. *goes back to yakking on her phone and blocking us*
    Me: *irritated* Lady, there are other people besides you in the store! Please move!

The lady walked off, saying she was going to get the manager to kick me out. I didn't care because the manager was right behind me and trying not to laugh.

He said after she'd left that he'd never kick me out because he knows that SO would give him a hard time about it, and the lady was in the wrong. He's a pretty cool manager.

Granted I shouldn't have been irritated, but I woke up with a tension headache and I needed to get this done today before the sales finally went off for the new ones next week.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post

Granted I shouldn't have been irritated
    With the audacity of that lady to not only ignore you but then when asked to politely move she says in plain earshot more or less that you can screw off and can't tell her what to do you have every right to be irritated.

Comment

A minute or so? You all have patience!

When I want someone to move out of my way I might give them, oooooh, around 5-10 seconds.

Comment

It may have been less than a minute, but it could have been a minute, I'm not sure. I just know it was really irritating especially as she saw all of us waiting.

SO said that he's not surprised, as there are idiots all the time that do the same thing to him when he's trying to set out stock.
        Random conversation:
        Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
        DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I probably would have waited a while and then broke her personal space bubble and got right up next to her to get what I wanted, and would have taken my time getting it too. My mom would have commented to me about how rude people are when they think the world revolves around them in a rather loud voice.
          "There is a sadist inside me. She likes cake." - Krys Wolf, my friend

In a coffee shop in Whitehouse, Texas: "Unsupervised children will be given two shots of espresso and a free puppy."

Comment

I have my 3-Polite rule. Ask three times politely then .. "get the fuck out of the way". Works everytime.

It helps if you don't care what morons think of you.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I agree about the "three polite way". After that it's just a matter of getting their attention no matter what. Annoying people!!
              It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

The 3 Polite Rule also works at movie theaters. Went to see Tropic Thunder and there was a man 2 rows back who laughed like a donkey trapped under a steam roller and would laugh at everything, even the closing credits. I did the obvious turn, then the turn and glare, then the turn glare and shush. When those failed, I waited for a quiet part and turned and said loudly "SHUT UP ALREADY!"

It should be noted that the guy's friends sat at least a seat away from him before the movie even started. So they KNEW he was like that and still went to the movies with him.
                Last edited by FenigDurak; 08-19-2008, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Um ... because he's got a wild sense of humour he's sucky? It sucks to be around the guy, but what's he gonna do, never go to another movie because he might upset someone?

IMHO, you were the sucky one. People laugh. If he's not talking through it, answering a cell phone, or being otherwise deliberately sucktastic, it's not on to yell at him.

I would have quietly found a seat somewhere else.

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                    I have my 3-Polite rule. Ask three times politely then .. "get the fuck out of the way". Works everytime.

It helps if you don't care what morons think of you.
                    I love this rule. It works in so many situations. Like one time in high school I was not happy and I had a very violent temper. Most people know when I slam things to leave me alone. Teacher took note when I slammed my books on my desk while swearing, as did others in class.

Except the moron behind me who decided to annoy me more.

1. "Please stop stabbing me with your pen."
                    2. "Stop stabbing me or I'm going to backhand you."
                    3. *WHACK*

Guy tried to get me suspended (which was what happened when you hit someone usually) but the teacher refused to write me up saying that he provoked me.

I loved that teacher so much!
                    "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

I tend to be really sarcastic and bitchy in these situations. I swear, one of these days someone much larger than me is going to choke me and throw me right in the freezer at Wal-Mart.

Family reunions in the middle of Wal-Mart. "Oh look, a white trash family reunion! How sweet!"

Two women chatting with their carts blocking everyone. "We better go the other way honey, wouldn't want to disturb the estrogen blockade!"

Someone chattering away loudly on their cell phone. If I'm behind and not yet quite ready to tromp around them, and I'm with someone, I'll add "Yeah, I fucked Johnny too.." or "Oh yeah I hear you sista, Ronnie is SUCH a ho!"......well if you wouldn't talk so damn loud and let everyone at Wal Mart hear your stories...

I am just asking for it, I know. But I'm too little and have too soft of a voice to really make it count if I yelled "Get out of the way!"....plus insulting and humiliating stupid inconsiderate people is so much more worthwhile. The looks on their faces are priceless.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I must be one really rude mo-fo.

I'm pretty fast to observe a situation; if I see someone is doing what this woman did (as opposed to someone actually shopping), I don't wait nearby for even a couple of seconds. I NEED whatever I'm shopping for (I hate shopping, most times).

I approach, flash my best smile, and say, in this overly obnoxiously cheerful tone, "Pardon my reach!" or "'Scuse me, just a sec!" while reaching around them.

Never fails. They always move. Most of the time, they even smile back. I think it's all about eye-contact and willpower. I move them with my MIND.
                        "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          Someone chattering away loudly on their cell phone. If I'm behind and not yet quite ready to tromp around them, and I'm with someone, I'll add "Yeah, I fucked Johnny too.." or "Oh yeah I hear you sista, Ronnie is SUCH a ho!"......well if you wouldn't talk so damn loud and let everyone at Wal Mart hear your stories...
                          If my hearing weren't so bad (to the point that I can hear them talking, but am unable to make out what they're saying), I'd totally do the same thing.

You need to come shopping with me.
                          "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
                            Except the moron behind me who decided to annoy me more.

1. "Please stop stabbing me with your pen."
                            2. "Stop stabbing me or I'm going to backhand you."
                            3. *WHACK*

Had something similar happen to me, back before I became the big guy I am today. This particular assmuch had been giving me hell for, quite literally, YEARS because I was the chubby little kid everyone picked on. One day my self-consciousness and worry about being a "good boy" went to hell and I told him to leave me alone.

I kept up the 'calmly assertive' crap they taught in the 'conflict resolution' lecture the school gave to try and reduce fights. No change for a week, except perhaps for it getting worse than ever.

The next week I told him, using a variety of vulgar language, to fuck off and burn in hell. A definite escalation resulted.

Monday of the third week I told him that if he didn't leave me alone I was going to beat the crap out of him. Later that day he went at me again and I kept my word.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have done it directly in front of a teacher, but I wasn't thinking at the time. I just felt the proverbial mental *snap* and then my fist was connecting with his face. I only got one shot off before I got tackled, and got suspended for three days for it, but he left me alone after that, as did the other, lesser, bullies.

Call me psycho if you will, but I still get a warm, satisfied feeling in my heart at the memory of his expression when I responded to one of his traditional tortures* with a sucker-punch that bounced his head off the wall instead of running to the teachers. To paraphrase the Mighty Ducks: "Three days? Well worth it!"

*Poke me in the gut hard enough to hurt and go "Hee-hee" at me like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

You were great. You certainly did what many of us want to do, but at times don't have the nerve to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X