This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you say this to your kid?

I went to JCPenney on Saturday to get a new pair of shoes. The children's clothing department is on the way there, which was very busy due to school having started again. As I was passing this department, there was a little boy, about 7 or 8 years old, looking at t-shirts with his mom. I suddenly heard this boy's father call to him, "Come over here and try some shoes on!" Now, this kid was wearing flip flops, which meant he was going to try on these new shoes in his bare feet, and if he didn't want the shoes, some other poor kid was going to eventually get these shoes that this other kid's bare feet were in.

Now, this is not the part that really bothered me. It was when this kid didn't move fast enough, his mother said, "Go do what your father said and stop dicking around!", in front of God and everyone else. I've told my own kids things like "Stop goofing around" or "Quit stalling", but not this. I don't need them picking up on a new phrase anyway, then getting a note home from school.

Would anyone else say this to their kid?

I've said it. In public. To my parents. A coworker. Sister. Brother-person. Friends. When asked by the bookstore dude while in Wally World, "just dicking around."

Was never aware that "dicking around" meant anything bad. Thought it was on the same par as "lollygagging" (who would gag a lolly?).

I'm still going to use it.
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
      I've said it. In public. To my parents. A coworker. Sister. Brother-person. Friends. When asked by the bookstore dude while in Wally World, "just dicking around."

Was never aware that "dicking around" meant anything bad. Thought it was on the same par as "lollygagging" (who would gag a lolly?).

I'm still going to use it.
      Nothing was said about it being anything bad. However, to those of us with children, most of us think it is inappropriate to say this to your kid, or any kid to be exact. I myself have said it to friends, my siblings, whatever, when it comes to BSing with each other. Still, it's not something you would tell your kid, unless you want him picking up on this while in kindergarten.

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
        Besides, I think that cuss words lose their shock value if you use them all the time.
        Good... they should lose their shock value... they're just words.
        <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

That doesn't mean I want to hear kindergartener's saying them.

Though, it is possible that after a stressful shopping trip, the mom slipped. I know I've said things I normally wouldn't when tired and stressed.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Don't they have those little disposable nylon socks for barefoot situations?
            Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth Bradester View Post
              Don't they have those little disposable nylon socks for barefoot situations?
              Yes, they do. Only thing is, I saw this kid trying on shoes and putting his bare feet into them. Remember, I was there to buy shoes, so it's not as if I wasn't able to witness this. The problem is, they sales people can't always monitor what's going on, being the shoes are out there already in the boxes for you. Many places I shop at any more don't have it where the guy or gal goes into the back and finds a shoe in your size. Therefore, they cannot monitor when a person puts their nasty bare feet into a shoe they may not buy.

Comment

Y'all would have been mortified to hear my dad then!

At one point, my mom was afraid that I was going to think that my name was actually "shit britches". My dad called me that when I was still in diapers, but I have absolutely no memory of it. Come to think of it, most of the colorful language that I learned early on came from my dad!
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

There is a fair-sized town in Cumbria called... Cockermouth. Seriously, go and look at a map if you don't believe me.

NSFW astonishingness. That is all.

On the A1 (I think) there is a fairly noticable signpost pointing to the village of Shilbottle. It is very easy to misread.

There's also quite a successful mechanicals company called Cummins. They make, among other things, diesel engines.

"Oh Cock" is considered to be an acceptable exclamation on BBC Television. At least at Top Gear's airing time.

By comparison, I think "dicking around" is simply a more emphatic form of "dithering".

Comment

I get told on an almost nightly basis by my superiors to stop "dicking" and "fucking" around......

My personal favorite term is "dicking the dog".....it means shooting the shit, etc.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Hm... If I'm not to say "dicking around" in public, or to kids, I guess I'd better start calling my friend Dick "Richard".

Comment

[QUOTE=greensinestro;397730]Yes, they do. Only thing is, I saw this kid trying on shoes and putting his bare feet into them. /QUOTE]

Ewww. Feet.

Hehe, Gropecunt.
                        Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

My mom wasn't one for outright using bad language, but I do remember her telling me I was "acting like a little bitch" once.

Comment

"stop dicking around"?
                            Goodness no. Heck, my little nephew really *listens* to what we say, so he'd pick it up in no time flat. Just the other day sis jokingly said "you bitch" to me (all in love tho) and she forgot he was there... the next words out of his mouth were... "bitch?"

So no, no potty mouths around the kids cos we don't want them to pick it up from us

Comment

My kids have learned that certain phrases I use while driving are due to stress and are not to be repeated.

We taught them early that there are words you use sometimes when you get angry or tired or stressed, but that they are not appropriate words to use in public or if you're a kid. Those words are only allowed to be used by adults under the stress of being adults and parents.

They heard "fucking asshole" from me today when I had to slam on my brakes (thank goodness I have ABS and a decent distance between my car and the car ahead of me) because the idjit in front of me saw a Highway Patrol car watching traffic and slammed on their brakes, even though we were doing under the speed limit.
                              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                              HR believes the first person in the door
                              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                              Document everything
                              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                              X