This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAH, the IRS is driving me insane

I know it's not exactly breaking new ground to point out the IRS tends to have the customer service skills of a sack of hammers, but this is just the worst.

Background: I refiled my taxes for 2004 and 2005 after finding out I missed some deductions that netted me an extra $500 in each year. I got the one for 2005 already but I had to re-refile for 2004 because they (apparently) never got the forms I sent in for 2004. I took a personal day and went into my local IRS office to make sure it was entered into their computers. This was at the end of April.

It's supposed to take 12 weeks to get a refund check mailed back, which would have put it at the end of July. I called then and after nearly 30 minutes on hold I was told it was being processed and give it some extra time due to all the insanity of mailing out the Stimulus checks.

Alright, I can accept that. I certainly know about dealing with the public when things get insanely hectic so I cut them some slack.

Now it's almost September and I still haven't got a check yet. I try to call during my break but each time I get told the expected wait time is over 20 minutes (and I get two 15 minute breaks). When I try to call when I get home, after going through the forest of phone trees and am about to get transferred to a human I get a message that due to technical problems my call can't be completed as dialed

I don't have any more days off until October 1, so I can't burn another day off to go to the office. If I can't get through in the morning before work, they will have successfully walled off any route of communication between myself and the IRS.

What's worse, to add insult to injury is that for all that time you have to wait on hold, there's only one song played the entire time looped endlessly. That song? The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies.

That's right, while your life slowly ticks away while the IRS decides if they want to talk to you, the only music you hear is from the Nutcracker.

Seems appropriate.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Oh boy, the IRS. What a lovely bunch of people they are.

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I didn't know you could refile previous years in order to get more deductions. That's awesome. (I'm only 23, only been doing my own taxes for about 3 years, and don't make enough to really worry about big deductions... so you don't think I'm some moron who should know better... even though I probably should.)
    I work at Walgreens.

(I'm just tired of mentioning it every time I want to relate to a story. )

Comment

oh man that reminds me thursday ineed to call th IRS cause i never got the papaerwork needed to file my claime fo rmy issing refund...
      my 1125 dollar refund...

Comment

Try email.... Or regular mail. Believe it or not regular mail gets answer very quickly at the IRS.

I had an IRS agent pessering me about filing taxes. Because he had a hard time understanding what "didn't work, so no income" meant. Once the letter was sent via postoffice. It stopped.
        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Bwahaha! The Nutcracker! How appropriate!

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
            What's worse, to add insult to injury is that for all that time you have to wait on hold, there's only one song played the entire time looped endlessly. That song? The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies.
            Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies, as performed by two Tesla coils:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=946_1197997998

/derail

Comment

It could be worse, CMS. Someone could have stolen your check and cashed it (guess what happened to me, just GUESS). I'm still waiting to hear back.
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

My company does work that ties to the IRS. We don't work with them, but our stuff facilitates filings and the like.

The stream of misinformation that comes out of their customer service is frightening. Most are not aware of what any of their departments actually do and it is always easier to send their customers our way for assistance on something that only they can do.

All the more reason to go with a flat tax nation wide. Oh well.
                I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
                -The Amazing E
                Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                  I'm still waiting to hear back.
                  Have you called to check up on this matter? Maybe they've already cut you a check and it's in the mail?

How do you contest this sort of thing anyways? And did they tell you where the cheque was cashed? (since you had said previously there was no signature, I'd like to get that person fired, thanks.)
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Website

You may want to go to their website & visit the "Where's my Refund?" area (you type in your info & it gives you the status of your refund claim) or correspond with them via email. Web address: www.irs.gov
                    Last edited by laundryhater; 08-27-2008, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Well I finally got through to them after waiting on hold for over 30 minutes again. Found out that after 4 months of waiting they're going to mail my check on Friday.
                        "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                          Well I finally got through to them after waiting on hold for over 30 minutes again. Found out that after 4 months of waiting they're going to mail my check on Friday.
                          I know it's too much to ask for, but are you getting interest on those four months that they dragged their feet?
                          "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

ha ha, that's a good one. The IRS never ever will ever ever think that they should be penalize the same way they penalize others.
                            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

We just went through a mess with the IRS over the hubby's 2006 tax return. First they mailed us a letter saying he never filed. Um, yes, he did. We got the fax number to fax his original return to (thankfully he still had it).

Then we got a letter back saying they still couldn't find his original return, so they were filing the fax we just sent as his original. Ok, whatever.

Then we got a bill for over $2000 owed for his 2006 taxes! WTF!!! After waiting on hold forever, he gets a hold of someone who informs him that not only did they lose his original 2006 return, they lost his W2's as well. Since they had no record of his income that year, they just "guessed" how much he made and calculated his taxes based on that "guess". If we wished, we could fax in his 2006 W2's, and they would recalculate. Damn straight we wished! We faxed in his W2's and all was well.

And of course the bill we got for $2000 had all kinds of scary notices about how we could try to appeal/protest/whatever, but if it turned out we owed after all, we would owe a bunch more interest on top of the original bill. I'm sure they were hoping that would scare us into just paying instead of getting it straightened out. How the hell is that even legal???

Comment

Working...
                              X