This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement senior at Goodwill - a bit long

This thread reminded me of an experience I recently had at Goodwill.

I love Goodwill and any thrift store for that matter, I call them the "house of blessings". I have gotten so much cute stuff there lately...anyway, I digress...

About two weeks ago, I was shopping on my lunch hour at the nearby Goodwill and was in line checking out when I overheard the following conversation (restated to the best of my recollection) between the cashier in the other lane and the entitled senior citizen she was checking out.

SSC: Sucky Senior Citizen

IL: Innocent lady with SSC

Cashier: Who I really don't remember saying much of anything, maybe she was just so dumbfounded at this woman that she was rendered speechless.

SCC: Those clothes there - they have the yellow tag - their only 99 cents. MAKE SURE YOU RING THEM UP AS SO!!! I'd hate to have to have you do it all over again, but you better believe I will! I'm watching you!

*SCC turns to talk to the lady standing with her*

SSC: There was some Mexican over there in the shoe aisle. He was right in my way. I told him he had better move or else!
    IL: Did he move?
    SSC: Damn right he did! I didn't think he understood me at first because he didn't move. I told him I'd run him right over if he didn't move and he needed to get the hell out of my way! Damn illegals!

Jeezus! I wanted to turn and say something, but I didn't want to intrude. I knew this was turning into a good post for this board. Besides, I didn't want her to run ME over!

*she turns back to cashier*

SSC: Make sure you give me my senior discount! (this is why she's called sucky SENIOR CITIZEN for this post)

*Now, I thought this was a joke. Really. It's freakin' GOODWILL - they are dirt cheap to begin with AND they offer senior discounts. Surely, she was joking...but, nope.

SSC: I DESERVE that discount! I better get it! *turns to the innocent lady next to her* The last time I was here, they fucking forgot it!

That's it, I figured there were cameras somewhere and they were filming the first episode of a new reality series called "When Grannies Go Bad" or something. I just kind of looked up at my cashier and we gave each other that look, you know, where we said telepathically to each other "she's batshit crazy!"

So, the cashier is done ringing up her order. She had bagged some glass and ceramic items - when they do this, they wrap them in newspaper and then put them in the bag. After the cashier puts the bag in the ladies cart, she tells her how much her total is and this ensues:

SSC: I heard the total the first time! I gave you a check! I put it right here on the counter!

Now I have to see this, I turn my head and I see the cashier checking her counter for said check.

SSC: YOU BETTER FIND THAT CHECK!!!! I GAVE IT TO YOU!!!! I set it RIGHT HERE on the counter.

*I thought to myself - then technically, you didn't GIVE it to her, you set it down!

Thank God for the innocent lady who immediately upon hearing that our lovely angelic uh...sucky senior set the check on the counter suggested that maybe the cashier knocked it off while she was wrapping her delicate items and immediately proceeded to check the shopping cart and found the check! I though I saw a cape on her back - but I may be mistaken.

SSC: OH thank GOD! I'd hate to think that it was stolen or I was getting ripped off!

*Yeah, couldn't just think, like the innocent lady did, that you were at fault in anyway shape or form.*

I turned around after that and the cashier and I shared another look that spoke volumes and my order was ready to check out and I could escape!

Sheesh...granny needs a pill!
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

My sucky-old-fart-in-charity-shop story:

SC: "How much is this?"
    CSR (80-something year old woman who volunteers 38 hours a week): "$5"
    SC: "No I mean for me, how much?"
    CSR: "$5."
    SC: "That's for normal people, how much for me to buy it?"
    SC: "No I want a special price."
    CSR: "OK, $6."

He decided to pay the same price as normal people.

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
      Jeezus! I wanted to turn and say something, but I didn't want to intrude. I knew this was turning into a good post for this board.
      You do that too, eh?

Whenever I'm out shopping and I see some customer acting like an idiot, I hang around and take mental notes for the forum. I don't intervene; just watch.

I am the Jane Goodall of SCs.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

As has been shown so many times on this board, racist, self-centered, stingy, pushy, bitter, jerks do not mellow with age. They just think they now can use their age as a means to get away with whatever they do.
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
          Whenever I'm out shopping and I see some customer acting like an idiot, I hang around and take mental notes for the forum. I don't intervene; just watch.
          I do that too, followed by (after the SC is gone), approaching staff and telling them about this site.
          Last edited by edible_hat; 08-27-2008, 01:07 PM. Reason: fixing my BBCode

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
            I do that too, followed by (after the SC is gone), approaching staff and telling them about this site.
            That's a good idea. There's a poster on here who I've heard mention that this site is on their business card - or a business type card they hand out.
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

That's a good idea. There's a poster on here who I've heard mention that this site is on their business card - or a business type card they hand out.
              There used to a file floating around with a generic business card with appropriate details on it somewhere...
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

SSC: There was some Mexican over there in the shoe aisle. He was right in my way. I told him he had better move or else!
                IL: Did he move?
                SSC: Damn right he did! I didn't think he understood me at first because he didn't move. I told him I'd run him right over if he didn't move and he needed to get the hell out of my way! Damn illegals!
                I would not have let that slide. I have no tolerance for that crap in public or otherwise, and I would have informed her of what a crabby, nasty, racist old koot she was.
                I will never go to school!

Comment

I'm with BaristaTray here ... I probably would've said something to the effect of:

"Why don't you just shut the hell up, you racist old bag. I don't know about those around us, but >I< am sick and tired already of listening to you drone on and on with your hateful blather."
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I don't know if I could have kept quiet. Although sometimes it's fun to egg those people on and see how angry they can get.
                    Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

GAWD, do I know customers like that. A while back I was 'volunteering' (working for the bleedin' dole, even though I was and am on disability benefits) at the HUGE City Mission near my home.

We used to have people try stupid stuff and said even stupider stuff all the time. My favourite was when a bloke who must have had an IQ of about fifteen (maybe. on a good day.) who came sauntering out of the back room.

The clearly labelled 'Staff ONLY' back room.

Carrying MY heavily customised one-of-a-kind motorcycle jacket with the Phantasy Star Online logo on the back.

Luckily, my outraged shriek attracted the attention of the 6'4" security dude, who then rescued my jacket, slammed the imbecile into a chair behind the counter with me to guard him (mwahahaha) and called the cops.

The idiot tried to protest his innocence and 'mistreatment' until I pointed out that he'd tried to take my jacket and I was state archery champion for my age group for six years running and as such I was very, very strong.

I think he ended up being more scared of me than our security dude.
                      "Everyone walk behind me, your new glorious leader!"
                      "Watch the ego, hon, you're scaring the paladin again."
                      ~ Sand and Olivia, NWN2 Fanfiction Stupidity

Comment

Not trying to threadjack here, but I was once in a store where an older man was complaining about Mexicans and illegals.

Finally it got so bad they had to call mall security to get the guy out of the store.

I nearly died laughing when a HUGE obviously Latino security guard showed up to haul the guy away.

Gotta love Karma.
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I'd have piped up and said

"Damn right you're entitled to a senior's discount. You're so old when you went to school, history class hadn't been invented yet"

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                            My sucky-old-fart-in-charity-shop story:

SC: "How much is this?"
                            CSR (80-something year old woman who volunteers 38 hours a week): "$5"
                            SC: "No I mean for me, how much?"
                            SC: "That's for normal people, how much for me to buy it?"
                            SC: "No I want a special price."
                            CSR: "OK, $6."

He decided to pay the same price as normal people.
                            Should have made it higher...like 50 dollars, to compensate for dealing with said sucko customer!

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post

I am the Jane Goodall of SCs.
                              Does this mean that SC's are actually primates?

Comment

Working...
                              X