This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokers didn't want to give blood

The blood donation truck is here today and I was doing my quarterly duty when some people came in. They spoke to the person who was taking people in (names, basic questions, etc..) and they started asking about smoking.

The person said that they ask people not to smoke for 30 minutes after giving blood and if they were taken in now then they would be out in 45 minutes.

The people left because "they couldn't go that long without a cigarette".

WTF? I wonder if they get up every hour in the middle of the night to smoke? Do their bosses approve them taken 10-20 minutes every hour to smoke a cigarette (I'd fire someone for that).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Keeping in mind that I've never donated blood but have a strong phobia of needles, whenever I get a shot (which is every three months) I have to sit down and have a cigarette to calm my nerves and keep me from throwing up all over the place.
    Those people might have been like me.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
      Keeping in mind that I've never donated blood but have a strong phobia of needles, whenever I get a shot (which is every three months) I have to sit down and have a cigarette to calm my nerves and keep me from throwing up all over the place.
      Those people might have been like me.

Then why would they be giving blood?

I forgot to mention that they argued that they should still be given the as cards ($10 for all donators) since the donation people are "rejecting" them.

Uh-huh
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        Then why would they be giving blood?
        I was just guessing with that theory.
        But again using myself as an example were it not for this thread if I went to give blood I would be going there with the impression that I'd be able to smoke afterwards.

I'm definitely not justifying their assholery and with what you added they were likely just trying to grab a free $10.

Comment

I've worked with many people who were fired, because they were outside smoking more than they were at their desks. These people literally could not go without a cigarette for more than twenty minutes at a time. We were located on the 17th floor, and you had to ride the elevators down, then walk out the door to smoke. With the hundreds of employees in the building, the elevator alone sometimes took five minutes to arrive, then you had to stop of every floor on the way down. So, many people ended up being late coming back from lunch, breaks, or just unscheduled breaks.

Comment

I smoke. As do most of my co workers. We are courteous and stick to the timing on our breaks.

As for blood, I regularly donate.

Not all smokers are rude, just as all non-smokers aren't saints.

But the people in your story, yeah - pisses me off because, well they're assholes and they give the rest of us a bad name.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I won't give blood...too scary. I'm not afraid of needles going in, I'm scared of them taking stuff OUT. Yeah, odd fear....but I just won't do it.

And if I couldn't have a cigarette after something so horrifyingly scary, double points.

You should see how quick I suck down a cigarette after I get a Pap smear and all that wonderful womanly jazz.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                I won't give blood...too scary. I'm not afraid of needles going in, I'm scared of them taking stuff OUT. Yeah, odd fear....but I just won't do it.
                Not so odd. Whenever I have to give a blood sample for the Doc I hate it.

I don't mind the prick, but I can feel blood going out of my arm, and my right foot always falls asleep.

I've almost passed out a few times...

And then the time the tech left the needle in my freaking arm while she turned her back and then tried to find a vein...

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                  I smoke. As do most of my co workers. We are courteous and stick to the timing on our breaks.

As for blood, I regularly donate.

Not all smokers are rude, just as all non-smokers aren't saints.

But the people in your story, yeah - pisses me off because, well they're assholes and they give the rest of us a bad name.
                  Don't worry, I've met plenty of responsible smokers - they dispose of their butts where they're supposed to as opposed to flicking them in dry brush, take smoke breaks when they should, or sacrafice other breaks (instead of an hour lunch, maybe a 30 minute lunch and 2 15 minute breaks etc..)
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I used to smoke, and I don't understand that "can't-go-2-seconds-without-a-butt" behavior.

Reminds me of the movie patrons who would keep going outside during the movie to smoke. I always wanted to say, "Why didn't you just skip the movie ticket and buy 2 packs of cigs?"
                    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.

Comment

People that can't go 20 minutes without a cigarette need serious medical attention. That's a bit much on the addiction front.
                      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Ugh... smoker myself, and if I could give blood, I would, so it sickens me when someone who's fully capable of giving blood (not afraid of needles, doesn't faint after giving blood, etc), doesn't. Since these were the type who wanted the coupon for even pretending to make the offer, I'm guessing they just didn't really want to make the "effort" to get drained.

(Can't give blood caused I moved to the US from Ireland... apparently, you can't detect foot and mouth disease through blood. So while I may or may not be a carrier of a disease that only effect animals, I can't donate).

Comment

The people left because "they couldn't go that long without a cigarette".
                          You know... most of the smokers i know LOVE donating blood... then again that's probably because they kinda ignore that "30 minute" rule. Usually on purpose.

Comment

Do they um.. still poke your finger when you give blood? A needle in the crook of the elbow, I don't mind. I was on dilantin for a couple years and was required to have monthly blood tests, which--and this part might make the faint of heart squeamish--I would actually sit there and watch as the needle went in and the vial started filling.

Needles anywhere else though, *shudder*. Finger, top of the hand, even forearm.. ew.. the latter two were partly caused by bad IVs experiences though.
                            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

yes. the finger-prick is still done.
                              for a while some places were doing an ear-prick in the early 90s but that was discontinued because they said there's better flow in the fingers... and they don't want to take your blood if the iron is too low

usually i just turn my head and pinch my side. works great at the dentist too

Comment

Working...
                              X