This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door-to-Door Mormon

This has been going on for a while. There's a little old couple who goes around town ringing doorbells to get people to become Mormons. And they ring the bell until someone answers if a car's parked in the driveway.

I've also been dealing with random pranksters ringing doorbells and taping signs to my door.

So on this occasion the doorbell rings. And rings. And rings. I'm figuring it's those delinquents, so I snatch up whatever's nearby (in this case, a Guitar Hero controller) and hoist it over my head. I round the corner, and...it's the Mormons.

They simply say "Have you been touched by Jesus?" and hand me brochures, never acknowledging the fact that I have a plastic guitar over my head like a sword.

"Have you been touched by Jesus?"

"Yes! Thanks for bringing up repressed memories, jerks! "

Comment

First thing-
      let me apologize on behalf of the more fanatical of my church... they haven't yet figured out the whole "lead by example thing"... for some reason they think beating you over the head with a fish will work better
      second-
      the good missionaries will say "have you heard the good news about the fullness of the gospel" for the very reason that lachrymose pointed out...
      third-
      ... and that is the funniest line ever Lachrymose
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I am glad prosletizers don't come around my neighborhood much.

When I'm ready for religion, I'll seek it out.
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

My mom has given up on being polite to them. It just makes them stay longer. I'm waiting for one of them to come to the door when I'm around so I can say "Sorry, but before I join your religion I'll have to check with my dark lord Satan."
          It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
          -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Yeah, Mormons can be just as bad as any other religion. Back when we used to be members, my mom used to say "The church is perfect, but the people aren't."

You should try telling them you're Wiccan or something, that's how I got them to stop trying to get me to rejoin.

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
              "Have you been touched by Jesus?"
              He never does it quite right.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
                They simply say "Have you been touched by Jesus?" and hand me brochures, never acknowledging the fact that I have a plastic guitar over my head like a sword.
                "Have you been touched by the Expert Level?!" *smack*

I know, I know, no violence, but I just couldn't help myself.

Comment

Quoth Ratha View Post
                  You should try telling them you're Wiccan or something, that's how I got them to stop trying to get me to rejoin.
                  We've found that saying Baptist has the same effect
                  The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    He never does it quite right.
                    I'd prefer to get all indignant and say 'How the hell do you know about my pool-boy Jesus (hay-seus), and the sexual favors he provides me with? That's none of your GD business!'

"So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

O.o

Being a recovered Mormon, that is not the way to get people interested in learning more. We were taught to just talk about the religion and if the person was interested, we'd send the missionaries around to teach them more.

Sorry you have to deal with these people. I left because I refused to become a baby factory. Not to mention I'd have disappointed any man who wanted to try and impregnate me. I have serious reproductive issues that hinder any chance of having kids. SO and I opted for kitties instead.
                      Random conversation:
                      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                        O.o

Being a recovered Mormon, that is not the way to get people interested in learning more. We were taught to just talk about the religion and if the person was interested, we'd send the missionaries around to teach them more.

Sorry you have to deal with these people. I left because I refused to become a baby factory. Not to mention I'd have disappointed any man who wanted to try and impregnate me. I have serious reproductive issues that hinder any chance of having kids. SO and I opted for kitties instead.
                        Please let's not get this thread moved to fratching. Debating over what is or isn't the doctrine of any religion will probably get it moved, and I must politely point out that some of the things you mention are probably more your personal feelings than necessarily doctrinal standpoints. You're definitely allowed your own opinions, though. *shrug*

And in response to the OP, "Have you been touched by Jesus" isn't the kind of line members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints normally use. Possible you might be under "attack" by another group?
                        Religious proselyting is usually by well-meaning folks who would like to know if you'd like to hear about their faith- they're not "shoving it down your throat" or whatever.
                        If you find them annoying, simply politely decline.
                        "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
                          After a few of the people you meet while out on the streets, anime-style poses with plastic guitars isn't necessarily odd enough to register. And as was mentioned, that doesn't sound like a normal mormon approach, either the words or the trying to hand you paper as fast as possible.

Quoth Ratha View Post
                          If you leave the church with no intention of returning, formally requesting your name be removed from church records works best, because otherwise, your name stays on the records, which means that you get our loving best until you tell us to sod off. And even then, you stay on the records. Just with a little note passed from one leader to the next of "does not want visits". (It's a nuisance all around, especially when someone tries to find out who these people are years down the road— only to be yelled at by someone who thought they left that church behind years ago. Guess who was a records clerk once upon a time?)

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
                          We've found that saying Baptist has the same effect
                          Baptist probably has a better effect than wiccan. Though if they're mormon and following instructions properly, "Not interested" is enough. (If they're mormon and that's not enough, PM me and I'll point out where to complain so that it is enough.)

Though I must say that I find it... intersting... that every so often a thread here pops up along the lines of "how I got rid of the [insert religion here] missionaries". Let me tell you, very few of the people participating in those threads are as original or creative as they imagine themselves to be.
                          Last edited by Gurndigarn; 08-31-2008, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post

Though I must say that I find it... intersting... that every so often a thread here pops up along the lines of "how I got rid of the [insert religion here] missionaries". Let me tell you, very few of the people participating in those threads are as original or creative as they imagine themselves to be.
                            Usually a simple no thanks is sufficient. Although in our local weather, even if I turn some pair of missionaries from whatever away from our door, it's nice to offer them a bottle of water first- They have to be pretty uncomfortable in nice outfits out in our summer weather.
                            "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

personally when i had my apartment in va i didn't like ANYONE knocking on my door for whatever reason. Unless it was the food i ordered.

the complex was suppose to have a no-solicitation policy but that was always being violated - tho usually by the kids selling magazines for charity/contest.

My bf would come in handy then. He's a wiccan priest.

but personally i find that a polite smile and "thank you but no" works best. Sometimes they might try to change your mind, but a second polite "no thank you" and it's pretty clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X