X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there something on my face?

This was just....eh. I mean really eh?

Went to Fred's today to pick up some cleaning supplies. While there I happened to notice the "Pay as you Go" phones by the register. Since I'd already paid, I stepped aside and was looking at there, speaking with the lady behind the counter (customer service) about which might be best.

During this time, a customer approached, to which I just nodded and said "Sorry, not in line, just asking about the phones." So the lady moved to check out.

She had this boy with her. Now there were creepy vibes coming off that kid. I dunno, something about him just bugged me. You know the kind of person. As I said at the start just "eh?"

As I'm looking at the phones, this boy comes near me and just STARES. Stands on my right side and doesn't move. He just STARES at me with this strange look. I turned to him and said quote "Anything I can do for you chief?" To which he suddenly scuttled off by his mother who was at the register.

Okay...that was odd.

Still looking at the phones, I look up at the register to find that he's still standing beside her and STILL staring right at me. This continued until they finished checking out, and he followed right along, though he did a full double take right before they left.

Even the Cashier commented that it was some really odd behavior.

The kid, I'd guess, was about twelve or thirteen.

I still have to wonder, what the heck was going on there.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Kids stare. Even tweens stare. It bothers me too.

I was in line at Wal-Mart the other day, and a really small girl was with her mother and she kept staring at me. I'm sure she didn't know any better, but it still creeped the hell out of me.

Too bad we can't teach kids that staring is rude. When I was a little kid, my parents caught me staring at someone in a wheelchair and I got Hell for it.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Small children stare at me when I wear eyeliner. It's not over-the-top goth or hooker eyeliner either. No idea why.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

It's possible the child was autistic.

Comment

Yes, autistic people often "feel" weird, because they don't behave like normal people. They don't "know" about the little subconscious cues that everyone uses to fit in. The more intelligent ones are able to consciously try to make up for innate social ability, but even they don't always get it right. Meanwhile, "normal" people are very highly tuned to detect abnormal behaviour, because in prehistoric times, it usually meant that something was wrong enough to be wary of.

As for small children, I don't mind them staring. They still find many things new and interesting, and I certainly wouldn't want to stunt their curiosity - just so long as they don't get into danger.

Comment

Sometimes I'll get kids staring at me at my job. I don't make any stink about it, and I'm far enough off normal myself that sometimes I don't pick up "weird" vibes off kids. Maybe this means in prehistoric times I'd be doomed to get picked off.

Anyway, unless I'm in the middle of something, I usually just stare right back at the kid. If they're young enough (6 years old or younger) I usually start making faces in an attempt to break the befuddled "deer in headlights" look that some kids make. And 99 times out of 100, they react by smiling and/or giggling.

Kids just seem to like me.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Children are interesting little buggers, aren't they? I had a boss once who's 8 year old daughter was obsessed with me, cause in her words, I looked 'like a princess'.

I think this is because I dress up in heels and feminine dresses a lot, but yeah, there's nothing more disconcerting than being followed around and gaped at by an 8 year old with a princess obsession.
              Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

I have the ultimate creepy kid story.I was in sarasota Fl visting my friend of 22 years. Well we were at the outlet mall and I was talking to my husband on the cell phone outside by the fountain. Well this girl maybe 10-12 years old comes up and starts rubbing her boobs(or what will be boobs one day) on my side.And she starts smiling.So I was scared to death.You know with all the child molestion accusations out there. So I starts screaming.Get the fuck away from me.Do not come near me again or I will call the cops.I dunno I figured if I said it loud enough people would look and the little girl would relize what she had done.Now that I think of it,I should had marched her up to her parents.But like I said I probadly would had accused of something. Because who knows the little girl would had probadly lied to keep from getting into trouble.

Comment

I have a way for dealing with kids who stare. I'm very evil.

I play mind games and use psychosomatic responces to my advantage. I posted this once a while ago, but if you start scratching yourself, slowly at first and slowly build into a full-on, whopper gonzo, peel the flesh from your body kind of scratch...

...they'll start feeling itchy from the psychosomatic responce.

It's evil, but it's fun.

M
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

If I'm not at work, then I just snarl at them. Bared teeth and everything.

Don't like kids. They're TALLER than me.
                    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      Anyway, unless I'm in the middle of something, I usually just stare right back at the kid. If they're young enough (6 years old or younger) I usually start making faces in an attempt to break the befuddled "deer in headlights" look that some kids make. And 99 times out of 100, they react by smiling and/or giggling.

Kids just seem to like me.
                      It's the same way with me.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                        Yes, autistic people often "feel" weird, because they don't behave like normal people. They don't "know" about the little subconscious cues that everyone uses to fit in. The more intelligent ones are able to consciously try to make up for innate social ability, but even they don't always get it right. Meanwhile, "normal" people are very highly tuned to detect abnormal behaviour, because in prehistoric times, it usually meant that something was wrong enough to be wary of.
                        This.

Me.
                        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                          "Anything I can do for you chief?"
                          Just a quick aside, if you ever visit London don't say that as 'chief' is becoming a euphimism for c@nt.
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

One day when I was cashiering a woman and her young daughter were checking out and I noticed the little girl staring at me rather strangely. She then whispered something to her mother who then said, "My daughter wanted me to tell you that she has the same name as you."

Now, my name is very unusual and I hate it. I've hated it all my life and still wish I had changed it once I turned 18. So, out of sympathy for the little girl I instinctively said, "I'm sorry."

Her mother didn't appreciate that.
                            Retail Haiku:
                            Depression sets in.
                            The hellhole is calling me ~
                            I don't want to go.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                              Just a quick aside, if you ever visit London don't say that as 'chief' is becoming a euphimism for c@nt.
                              Why? Because it rhymes with queef?
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X