Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saydrah is not pleased with her insurance agent!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saydrah is not pleased with her insurance agent!

Insert picture of a frowning toddler here.

As seen in OT, I just bought a new car. I have insurance through Farmer's, with an agent who operates locally and whose services my parents have used for approximately 20 years. I had a good experience with my one claim when I was rear-ended by a driver who hit me and fled the scene. Up until now, no problems at all.

While car shopping, I called my agent and had her give me estimates for several different makes and models of new cars, to make sure my insurance would not increase. She kindly did so, and informed me that with any of the cars I was considering, due to new safety features the monthly cost of my insurance would actually decrease. She also renewed my good student discount which I had let lapse, resulting in a credit to my insurance on the current vehicle. I was thrilled and thanked her profusely.

Okay fast forward to now: I bought the car and left a voice message with VIN and intent to insure so that it would be covered immediately under Colorado state law (presumption of intent to insure-- if you have a current car insured and have told your insurer that you have a new car and will be buying coverage, you have a grace period where you're presumed insured even without POI). This morning I get a call back from insurance agent's employee (not the same woman I spoke to regarding both my past claim and the previous estimates), who informs me:

1) My insurance will go up with the new car, not down.

2) My good student discount, which her boss, my agent, just renewed, is actually being rejected for not taking enough course hours.

I was fuming, but I did stay polite and inform her that I received estimates showing my insurance going DOWN with the new car, not up, and that my agent had just personally renewed my discount and sent me a letter showing the credit to my current insurance. I stated in a calm tone that the estimates I received were factored into my choice of a new car, and that had I been quoted with the increase rather than the reduced rate I was quoted, I may have chosen to repair my older vehicle (AGAIN) rather than spend a bunch of money on a new car and find myself now having car payments AND increased insurance. She understood that I am of course not pleased with having made a major purchase partially based on a quote that may be incorrect, and said she would look for additional discounts.

I am NOT HAPPY! GRR! I got a great deal, I love my new car, but I feel that someone who has done work for my family for two DECADES has lied to me-- they use the same computer system, obviously, so there is no real possible way that they are just getting different estimates from the computer. Also the agent has been in business plenty long enough to know how many course hours are required for a good student discount, and should certainly have informed me if the credit she sent me is actually NOT being applied to my account-- which will leave me with a bill I didn't plan to owe this month, since the credit was significant enough that I should not have been charged for my insurance this or next month. Having just bought a car, another unexpected $130 is a lot of money to have to pay!

I do not want to be an SC about this, but I think the agent is clearly at fault for giving me both a false quote and a credit that apparently will not actually be given to me. Hopefully the agent's employee will find something in her paperwork that applies an additional discount and aligns the estimates, but there is still the good student credit which factored into my financial planning.

I can and will afford even the higher rate, and I'm certainly not going to try to take the new car back (legally I could within 3 days but I'm in love already), but I'll certainly be shopping around for other insurance if this is not corrected in some way. I'm also considering calling the corporate office and filing a complaint about the two errors by my agent and asking for a credit to my account to bring the new rate at least for the next six month billing period in line with the estimate that I was given.

Obviously the employee who just gave me the higher estimate is just doing her job, and I believe she is probably correct on both fronts, but I do not think that it is okay for an agency to give a quote that is blatantly incorrect as well as send a letter stating you have been credited then revoke the credit.
    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Well that was certainly resolved quickly! While I was typing this novella, the agent (not the second employee) apparently called Corporate and gave them a piece of her mind about making her look bad by denying the student discount, so that at least is being honored, and she found another discount for a safety feature that her employee had missed, so the insurance still won't go DOWN (grr) but it won't go up much-- which is satisfactory, though still a little disappointing since I was looking forward to a lower monthly bill. Instead of a complaint, I'll be sending a compliment to Corporate since the agent went out of her way to honor as much as she could of her estimate.

Comment

1) talk to your agent before assuming she's at fault. Maybe some higher up saw the quote, decided it was not good enough and informed the other employee to call you and tell you that you can't have it. In a lot of jobs the employees are given some leeway on things. Maybe she gave you a really good deal with a lot of leeway because she has such a good relationship with your family, and now some higher up is yanking it out from under her.

2) I am a huge fan of Geico. Clickie the linkie and get a quote. Who knows...it might be lower!
      Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

It sounds like that was what happened but she got Corporate to honor what they originally gave her after all. I now have like 10 discounts on my insurance :P

I should shop around anyway, though. This was kind of a kick in the pants to do it, which I have been meaning to do for a while.

Comment

Good for you, doubly so for keeping calm and not going the SC route. Sometimes people surprise you and life is good. Much karma to the agent for being good at her job.

Comment

Geico. Give them my name and we both get discounts.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I've never had a problem with AAA. In fact I got a very nice surprise in my renewal packet: my insurance dropped 20 dollars after adding SO. And I like the roadside assistance. I had to use it a lot earlier in the year when SOs car finally bit the bucket and we had to get it towed. Nevermind that it wasn't on the policy, but it had been previously because it was my old car.

I like to look on the membership as my idiot insurance for locking my keys in the car as I'm known to do from time to time.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I can't help but wonder why you automatically assumed it was the first agent's fault. Maybe it could've been the second one's fault.

Just sayin'.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

and if you're still using the parent's house for a legal address ... and if they're still using her as an agent, you both should get a discount for insuring 2 cars through them.

Comment

If you are shopping around call Erie Insurance if they are in your area.

My Dad went to State Farm from Erie right after I left State Farm for Erie (Homeowner's only, car was always with Erie). The agent says "Tell your son to call me when his insurance renews again, I can beat Erie for him too".

So I called when it was due, and State Farm was $500 more per year.

Comment

Is State Farm the same as Farmer's? I thought they were separate companies, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever except that her business card says Farmer's.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
                        Is State Farm the same as Farmer's? I thought they were separate companies, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever except that her business card says Farmer's.
                        I don't think they are the same company, but I could be wrong.

I just mentioned Sate Farm because that was my experience, and they always have ads talking about their "new lower rates"

Years ago when I was shopping around (Progressive, State Farm, Allstate) everyone of them said to me "If you have Erie why are you calling me? I can't beat them. Did you get canceled?"

Comment

State Farm was quick to pay up after one of their clients hit me in 2000 I have USAA now, and they've been freaking awesome. With them, I've actually seen my monthly insurance bill *drop* since I bought the Corolla. The MG, on the other hand, is insured by one of their affiliates.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I have State Farm. I live in one of the highest insurance areas of the country, and they gave me a rate close to what my mom pays. Honda Fit vs. Prius, I've never had car insurance before, and I was frankly shocked that I was able to get the rate I did.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                              and if you're still using the parent's house for a legal address ... and if they're still using her as an agent, you both should get a discount for insuring 2 cars through them.
                              But not if you do not live/primarily house your vehicle there. That's a little thing called misrepresentation and it can void your ENTIRE coverage.

(just passed the CT Insurance Adjuster for Autos exam this morning! But I do live in OH....long story, LOL).

Oh, and you have 14 days to add an additional car to your policy and still have coverage, but I'm pretty sure that in most of the USA it's only 3 for a replacement car. So I'm glad this was resolved quickly!

Comment

Working...
                              X