This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad but, in a way, also humorous.

A few weeks back, we attended a family gathering in a Midwestern city that is home to a humongous University. We learned that we were there on the weekend when the off-campus student apartment leases turn over. Our hotel was smack in the center of the district so there was a great flurry of moving in going on all around us.

The hotel was full and we didn't doubt that many of the guests were families moving students into new digs. It was fun watching formal moving vans, U-Hauls, pick-up trucks with rocking chairs stowed on top a la Beverley Hillbillies and other vehicles of all descriptions packed to the gunwales with everything from bedding to Christmas decorations make their way through the streets and park in front of houses across from the hotel.

We stayed from Friday at lunchtime to Monday morning. Late on Sunday afternoon there was a knock on our door. It was a uniformed man from the hotel who wore an ID tag and identified himself. He cheerfully asked us how many chairs we had in our room. The man was invited in and we showed him our big armchair, the matching ottoman and the office chair near the desk. He consulted his list of what we should have, checked us off, confirmed that we did not have a vehicle in the parking garage and wished us a pleasant afternoon.

What was that about?

My husband and I have traveled widely together and alone on four continents for almost 40 years. In hotels we've been asked if we needed towels, coffee or shampoo. People from the hotel have come in to change a light bulb or adjust the AC. Never before had we had someone come in to do an inventory of the furniture. We pondered this for a while before both of us came to the same conclusion at the same time. Moving weekend!

No one would ever think about taking out the big armchair or ottoman. Both are extremely heavy and cumbersome. Neither would successfully segue into a student apartment. The office chair was something else again. It was very appealing and it rolled. Given the proper time of day or night the thing could be trundled over to the elevator bank or, with a few strong, young backs, humped down a stairwell. Given the lay-out of the hotel, a chair could be taken out to a vehicle in the parking area without ever having to come anywhere the lobby or the front desk.

We hate to think that students and their families with enough money to stay in a nice hotel would stoop to stealing furniture but you can never tell. We're sure people here at CS who work in the hospitality sphere can provide even worse stories. I hope yu don't have them but, if you do, I'd love to hear them.
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

That's awesome.

But wouldn't the hotel know who's credit card to charge if something like a SOFA came up missing from the room? I mean, you'd think that would be difficult to get away with.
    I work at Walgreens.

(I'm just tired of mentioning it every time I want to relate to a story. )

Comment

I'm here to tell you that they would indeed take the comfy armchair and ottoman. Also, the coffee maker, the pictures on the walls, the desk as well as the office chair, the mattresses, the beds, the dressers, the television, and the shower head. Give them enough time and they'll roll up the carpet and take that too.

We had people either steal, or try to steal, all of those things and more from our rooms when I worked at a hotel.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Stealing furniture from hotels ... lame.

I stole a washcloth once. It was awesome. Tough and scratchy. Worked great.

Besides clearing out all the freebies (my wife loves the soaps, shampoo, non-mini-bar foods), I take nothing. It's, um, stealing ...
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Yeah, people steal whatever they can. Luckily we have security & cameras to monitor people. We also usually have decent guests mostly so that helps.

I assume there were thefts, but I don't see why hurassing every guest would stop the perps.
          When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Okay, I'm curious.... I was told that if you left the soaps and shampoos, they were thrown out and new ones put in. Is that true? I can't understand wasting that much stuff if it's sitting there untouched. Either way, when I stay at a hotel, (if it's a conference), we're usually asked to collect the unused soaps/shampoos for a local women's shelter.
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Lately I've noticed that hotel shampoos and such have a seal. I assume if the seal isn't broken they can be used again. Regardless, we usually don't bother taking any of that stuff although my Husband finds the shoe polishing cloths useful and I have , from time to time taken the pocket sewing kit.
              Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

There's a hotel around here with some really comfy chairs in a public area out of sight of, well, everything. We like to speculate that with the appropriate vehicle, coveralls, and a clipboard we could all walk away with some outrageously comfortable chairs.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

yeah the shampoos and stuff are freebies, therefore not stealing if you use them. i took a comb from the pile once cos i'd liked it - and it was a freebie i'd used anyway. unfortunately it broke apart later. o well.

but um, i have my own towels thanks.

i was in a spa once where i could have purchased the robes. wish i had. they were super nice

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                    Okay, I'm curious.... I was told that if you left the soaps and shampoos, they were thrown out and new ones put in. Is that true? I can't understand wasting that much stuff if it's sitting there untouched. Either way, when I stay at a hotel, (if it's a conference), we're usually asked to collect the unused soaps/shampoos for a local women's shelter.
                    Our hotel does not throw away unused items. If there is any sign of any possible use then it must be thrown away. This could differ among hotels, but I am not sure.
                    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Virtually all hotels I've been in have the small sealed packets of soap and other consumables. I assume they simply replenish the stock and throw away the used ones.

The only substantial difference I've seen is the laundry policy. Sokos, a Scandinavian chain, doesn't automatically wash every towel in the room every day - instead, they ask you to set aside the ones you've used, and they'll wash those. And clearly it works most of the time, otherwise they wouldn't be able to continue it.

Comment

I've never stolen anything, but I have gotten bored in the past and hid some things about the room. The remote is one fun one to hide. Ideally placed in a totally random place that the next visitor would find after a good hour or two of searching.

In another prank, that cost oh, I think seven or eight dollars to pull of, we made fake "stacks" of money. Dollar bill on each side, newspaper between, and a 100 dollar wrapper around them. This was then placed in a ratty paper bag with a scrawled note about a "payment" to Vinny for "services" rendered.

Our DM got in on that one. He took the bag up to the front desk and asked if "Vincent Corleone" had checked in yet. (yeah, you'd have thought the front desk guy would have caught the name but apparently he didn't.) The guy shook his head and said they had no Corleone staying there. Grumbling the DM slid the bag over and said in his best "mafia" esqe voice. "Give him this when he gets here. He'll know what to do with it."

This was all done in a little podunk town with one stoplight. I have to wonder about the clerk's reaction on seeing that...and if anyone ever caught the joke.
                        Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                          I've never stolen anything, but I have gotten bored in the past and hid some things about the room. The remote is one fun one to hide. Ideally placed in a totally random place that the next visitor would find after a good hour or two of searching.

In another prank, that cost oh, I think seven or eight dollars to pull of, we made fake "stacks" of money. Dollar bill on each side, newspaper between, and a 100 dollar wrapper around them. This was then placed in a ratty paper bag with a scrawled note about a "payment" to Vinny for "services" rendered.

Our DM got in on that one. He took the bag up to the front desk and asked if "Vincent Corleone" had checked in yet. (yeah, you'd have thought the front desk guy would have caught the name but apparently he didn't.) The guy shook his head and said they had no Corleone staying there. Grumbling the DM slid the bag over and said in his best "mafia" esqe voice. "Give him this when he gets here. He'll know what to do with it."

This was all done in a little podunk town with one stoplight. I have to wonder about the clerk's reaction on seeing that...and if anyone ever caught the joke.

First, thanks for all the hours of needing to find a remote & program it for a very angry guest who can't find their remote but find it like an hour or two later but are still angry because it's somehow the hotel's fault. "What on earth did your housekeepers do???"

It's sooo not wise to "play pranks" at hotels. If the housekeepers happen to miss it...well let's just say I love being yelled at!

I love being yelled at. No offense, but rude man...rude

Comment

Working...
                          X