This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why oh why do they do this?

I stopped at an Acme that I don't usually go to, and I just needed a few things, so I planned to use the self checkout. (At this one, each register has space for two bags, and they're on a scale so the machine can tell if you put something in without scanning it). All the regular registers had very long lines... and all the self checks were busy so there was a few people in a line. So I get in line, and after a bit I realize I'm behind the oldest people that have ever shopped. And they're here....going to try and scan their own crap.... If we weren't out of TP, I would have just ditched.

The old farts were next, then two people behind them, then me. The oldies get a checkout, and then the other one opens, we move up...etc.

I shit you not, all of us used one checkout one right after another and the bitty and her husband were still trying to figure that damn thing out. They'd scan something, then for some reason scan it again, then the clerk would void it, then the woman SAT DOWN NEXT TO THE BAGS.....then her husband starts "telling" the machine that he most certainly did NOT put an unscanned item in the bag, the woman starts calling the clerk over again, repeatedly saying "Yoo hoo!!" (for future reference, I hate that, my GM does that and it makes my hair stand on end). By the time we left, they were still scanning things- they had a small basket of things- totally ridiculous. I have no idea how that clerk didn't shove that basket right up their heinies....

And to think, they likely DROVE there in a car. Incidentally, on my way out there was another old woman outside looking dumbfounded after she apparently backed her car into the building...

Now, I hate people just as much (or more, I'm in favor of free sterlization for adults who ask for it) as the next guy ... and, I really can't stand people who are slow in lines in front of me ... especially at the self-checkout where some people just should not be.

Really gets me boiling when some _____ (fill in the blank with the latest loon) makes things slow for everyone.

That said ... this little story has helped my sanity (not with the lines, those still go slow, no thanks to morons everywhere) ... but, perhaps it'll help others here deal with the Morons Among Us:

A young man in his 20's and and old man in his 80's were sitting at a bar. The young man was feeling friendly so he decided to strike up a conversation.

The young man says "You know, I feel sorry for folks of your generation. You had to life without cell phones, computers, modern cars, microwaves, easy air travel, satellite TV, and all kinds of other great modern conveniences!"

The old man replied "True. We had to invent them. What're you gonna do?"
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Remember this when your old and grey and not moving as fast as you once were. I'm sure some kid behind you in line will be ever so patient.

They are trying to keep up with modern society, you could have let the woman know that her sitting on the machine is causing the error. There are a lot of times when I head into a grocery store here the parents are checking out and the kids are sitting on the scale and then wondering why the machine keeps stopping.

Comment

"I'm making a bowl for you when you're Grampa's age and have to eat in the corner."

Comment

On most self-scans I've worked with, it's not obvious at all that the bag-stand is actually weighing things. If it were up to me, I would place very clear signs "Do not sit or lean on the bag stand; this is a scale" or to that effect.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Record Store Tough Guy View Post
            "I'm making a bowl for you when you're Grampa's age and have to eat in the corner."
            Someone knows his fairy tales.

The Brothers Grimm: The Old Man and His Grandson
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              Remember this when your old and grey and not moving as fast as you once were. I'm sure some kid behind you in line will be ever so patient.
              on the flip side, in the OP's defense, there is some legitimacy (doubtless of age) to the complaint that if you don't understand the SCO to just go to a line with a checker, and if it's a store that doesn't have checkers go somewhere else (it's no secret which places have SCOs and which don't)...

a less high tech example, my grandma couldn't figure out how to use bulk food bins at Winco and label her bags properly for the cashier to enter them into the computer. Want to know what she did? She either brought someone with her who understood how the system worked or she went elsewhere, not hard.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
              X