This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My foot!

I wish to heaven I'd seen this in person because just thinking about it makes me giggle, and I can only imagine what it would be like to have these memories stored where I could lovingly take them out and fondle them at my leisure.

Anyway, my friend Beth once worked at a store in our local mall that sold educational things and gifts -- fun stuff and fun stuff to work around. The store was near an exit and so one day, a white girl -- a very white girl, with red hair, freckles, and what skin that wasn't covered in freckles so pale that you could see the veins under it -- in a track suit came storming into the store.

Beth was at the counter, and the girl made a beeline for her.

"Want y'all to know some dumb n***** ran over my foot in y'all's parkin' lot!"

That's offensive, right? Bear in mind that the girl had an accent and an inflection that made her sound as though she'd been born in, raised in, and never allowed out of, East Harlem right up until that moment.

Bear in mind also that when the girl said 'my foot!' she kicked up her leg and pointed to her foot, as though perhaps Beth didn't know where such a thing might be located.

Beth says her face went slack.

"N***** rode by on a scooter and ran ova' my foot, white boy tryin' to act all black..."

Up went the foot again.

Beth, who has a bit of an accent herself, said that she made a conscious effort to smother any trace of an accent in her voice and to speak, when she did finally speak, in a voice that could have belonged to... Hubert P. Quiverbottom, Professional White Person (Kids, don't try this at home!). She did not, however, point out the obvious contradiction here, nor did she question how exactly a person "acts black" by running over people's feet on a scooter.

"Golly," said Beth, "I am so sorry to hear that. Would you like for me to call mall security for you?"

"Ain't no need. Y'all just need to know some dumb white boy wanna be all black ridin' around in y'all's parkin' lot. Dumb n***** ran over my foot."

Up went the foot.

"Gosh. That is terrible. I hope you are not hurt."

"I be fine."

"That is good. I am happy to hear that."

"Gonna sit down, get off my foot."

The foot did not come up, but it was pointed to just in case a reminder was needed.

"You do that. There are benches nearby that are ideal for sitting."

"I do that."

"You do."

And as the girl turned to leave, so did Beth, who hurried to the stock room and office, and managed to make it to the office before she laughed so hard she fell down.

I love this story. It's almost to the point that she and I, in lieu of 'hello', merely say "My foot," and point to one our feet in greeting. People tend to stare when we do it though, but we don't care.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

I totally picture Beth's voice in my head: a serene, slightly medicated Stepford wife voice, blank eyes, wide smile and all.

*applauds politely* Lovely story.

Comment

You know what would've made this great story even better?

If she'd alternate feet.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        You know what would've made this great story even better?

If she'd alternate feet.
        *giggle*

I actually did giggle out loud on this one!

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
          a white girl -- a very white girl, with red hair, freckles, and what skin that wasn't covered in freckles so pale that you could see the veins under it

I just want to post this

Albino Nigerian Woman

Red hair, freckles and white skin
          She's African-and looks like the woman described

As does this african-american albino woman from national geographic

Do a GIS for albino African-American-they ALL have red hair, freckles and very white skin-does that make them white?
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

*giggles and golf claps* Bravo Bravo.

Comment

Quoth hopie144 View Post
              *giggle*
              Becks (amongst other aliases) spreading mirth since.... Hm. I don't remember.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Yes, I've met African and Asian albinos but you can usually tell that these people aren't of European origin. The facial features are usually a give-away.
                Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Working...
                X