This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How quickly they forget...

This won't be as good a tale as most of the material on this site, however I still thought I'd share it just to confirm I don't understand other people.

So not having anything better to do with my Tuesday evening, I head down to the second-run theatre's "cheap tuesday" (only $2!) to catch a showing of the Get Smart film. I'm sitting there enjoying the film about 20 minutes into it when a woman and her 3 kids enter. First of all, I can never stand missing ANY part of a movie I watch (at home I'm the guy who would make my family/friends rewind the tape if possible), but others aren't so concerned. No big deal. Anyway they enter, all of them having a discussion about something that quiets down in about 15 seconds when they presumably realize where they are. They all take seats in front of me. Now they weren't bad people sitting there, nothing I would get up and change my seat or yell at them about (I've been in those situations during other movies, thankfully rarely) however I did notice two things:

First, they would check their cell phone every 10 minutes. The LED glare is distracting but it's a fairly minor no-no and something I can overlook. Secondly however were the two boys who would laugh much too loud at a lot of the good gags. Again, nothing too bad about this: everyone laughs at different volumes after all and I don't mind, though here it was bordering on "don't your kids know how not to yell?". Like I said, it wasn't annoying to much as noticeable... and quite a few times during the film the mother would try to sush them for getting too loud (which didn't last long). In any case they were all having a good time, laughing and watching the movie and were only in very minor levels of sucky.

However, what leaves me scratching my head is when the movie ended. I left the theatre and was standing against a wall fiddling with something in my pocket when the two boys come near me and start having a conversation. They're COMPLAINING that the movie was awful and how they couldn't believe they had made it all the way through and how boring it was. Now like I said, I had been sitting behind this group most of the film and the boys were laughing the hardest of all and having a good time. Did they already forget the experience? Did something hit them on the head and make them lose short term memory? Were they expecting a live band to play the movie score and balloons to be released? I just don't understand people.

In case anyone wonders about a review; I rather liked the film, though it falls under my "Good remakes that probably should have just been released as something independent rather than trying to tie it into a franchise" category (see: Johnny English). I hope the actual Get Smart TV series starts getting released on DVD (as usually happens when a movie version comes along).
    Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

I wonder if it's simply "cool" to think everything is boring? While they certainly did have a good time, neither would dare admit it to the other for fear of being "the dork" out of the two, so they have a round of "that sucked big time" with each other afterwards.

Comment

Yeah I am presuming they thought they were cool & that they needed more excitement then a "stupid movie". At that age a lot of young adults tend to mock everything. They are very self-conscious & willing to follow rather then lead. I think it is often influenced by their parents, however. My mother would have wanted to slap me.
      When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Just a side note: the series actually is on DVD. I'd been looking for it for years before I found it. It's only available from Time Life video.

http://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/s...oductId=211683
        Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

Working...
        X