This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucktaclur Sightings

I finally had an interview today for a political organization up in the city. I've gotten two great stories out of it.

Drivers

My mom and me were sitting at the stop light when it turned green. We start to go and not 1, not 2, but 4 cars zoom past in front of us running the red light. WTF? My mom almost hit one of them. I rolled down my window and flicked them off. I'm a firm believer in flicking people off when they do stupid shit. If I don't who will tell them they're being fucktards?

My Fellow Interviewees:

I showed up at the place I was being interviewed at. It was kind of a hole, but it's understandable. This is a grassroots organization that is new in town working with MoveOn.org to elect Senator Obama and getting more people to register to vote. They haven't been able to get everything set up, but they are very professional considering all they are currently lacking. The people who came into be interviewed were not.

I was the first one to arrive. I thought I was going to be late since I parked really far away. I didn't and got there right at 6 o'clock. The other four people didn't arrive until another 20 minutes. There were two guys and two women. They all came in together. One of the guys had two small children and they were all dressed very unprofessionally. I know we were told to dress casual, but they were more trashy than anything.

The two women each grabbed like 5 applications each and screwed up at least two of them. I don't think either of them had ever written out an application before. Which is sad since they looked to be in their mid to late twenties. One of them kept asking if they had to fill out everything or if she could skip sections. I was sitting behind them with a WTF look on my face that mirrored the man who was doing a presentation and interviewing us.

Since the others were so late, the interviewer did a shortened version of his presentation and started the individual interviews. During the entire time he was talking the guy with the kids was dozing off and the other guy was staring up at the ceiling. I wasn't the only one who noticed it.

Since I arrived first I got interviewed first. The interviewer and me talked a bit about my application and he was ecstatic to see that I had brought in a resume. They've been in the city trying to hire people for two weeks now and I was one of the few who was professional and had my act together. The interviewer let is slip that he had people coming in 20-30 minutes late all the time and looking like the four in the other room. I felt really bad for him. They're doing good work; they're just not getting good people coming in for jobs.

I hope I get the job. It's something for the here and now til I get something more permanent. The only problem is that the place is 1/2 hour away from where I live by car and I don't have one. I get to sweet talk my dad into taking me and my stepdad into picking me up.
    Last edited by RedRoseSpiral; 09-13-2008, 09:58 PM.
    Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Quoth RedRoseSpiral View Post
    I hope I get the job. It's something for the here and now til I get something more permanent. The only problem is that the place is 1/2 away from where I live and I don't have a car. I get to sweet talk my dad into taking me and my stepdad into picking me up.
    Somewhat off-topic...

I must shake my head with great sadness at that. A half mile is only a 15 minute walk, 20 with a steep hill in the way. I know, I had to hike a half-mile to the bus stop for four years (only uphill one way though, and no snow). Unless you've got horrible weather there, or health complications, that little stroll every day will do you a world of good.

And, more on topic...

I must shake my head with even greater sadness at the number of people who just don't seem to care these days. Out of 6+ billion bodies on earth, there's probably less than 2 billion fully functional brains.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

It sounds like you are a shoe-in!

There are a lot of people, it seems, who just don't "get it" when it comes to interviews and the like. I was walking by the house manager's office at work the other day and heard her admonishing a girl "Now, when you go for your interview, you have to dress like you WANT to get hired" and explaining what she should wear. It's hard for me to believe, but I guess for a lot of people it is not common sense. Maybe it was their upbringing. Maybe some people are just not good actors. I've landed the great majority of jobs I've applied for in my time, usually by acting like getting the job would be tantamount to being crowned Miss America or spontaneously having a million dollars handed to me.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
        Somewhat off-topic...

I must shake my head with great sadness at that. A half mile is only a 15 minute walk, 20 with a steep hill in the way. I know, I had to hike a half-mile to the bus stop for four years (only uphill one way though, and no snow). Unless you've got horrible weather there, or health complications, that little stroll every day will do you a world of good.
        They could mean a half hour, by car. The word was left out so it could be either. I do that sometimes..I'll say it in my head but I won't type it

Comment

Quoth Summerfly413 View Post
          They could mean a half hour, by car. The word was left out so it could be either. I do that sometimes..I'll say it in my head but I won't type it
          Yeah, I meant half hour. My fingers to brain link went a little haywire.
          Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

I went in for an interview one time, dressed in business atire. Someone else showed up in, and I sh*t you not, open toed sandals, shorts, and a bright yellow T- shirt. Ugh! Guy looked like an idiot
            "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Working...
            X