This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racist SC sighting

One of my coworkers was in Boston last night with some friends. At some point they stopped at a 7-Eleven, where it turned out there was only one guy working at the time. This gentleman happened to be Indian (this is relevant). Though he was doing his best, the line was still just about out the door.

So while she and her friends are waiting in line, this racist woman enters the line, and within moments begins throwing a FIT, screaming about how slow and incompetent the poor clerk was.

Then she came up with this gem:

"WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY!!!!!"

It embarrasses me as an American that there are people in this country who still don't understand that we are multi-cultural, and act this way.

My CW was still fuming over this today when she told me about it.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

We should send the racists back to the country of their ancestors' origin.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

People like that SC give Americans a bad,bad name.....
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Ancestors? I believe in many cases the originator of the comment themselves are often imports. They just don't think.

Comment

all americans are immigrants....

Comment

EVERYBODY in America comes from somewhere else. Everyone's family has origins in locations elsewhere in the world. AND if you go back in time far enough even Native Americans aren't really native to North America.
            So I don't understand how anyone in the United States can be racist considering that this country was formed by many races.
            Racism is another word for being ignorant & stupid.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
              EVERYBODY in America comes from somewhere else.
              Personally, I disagree with comments like this... I think we should drop em all together.

I was born here, my parents were born here, my grandparents were born here, all but ONE of my great grandparents was born here. Sorry but I'm not from "somewhere else". I'm American. That IS my nationality, nothing else.

That doesn't mean I deserve to be here any more or any less than anyone else, but I think we need to get away from the whole "I'm Scottish/Russian/whatever" thing. Separating people like that is part of the problem that creates people like the "lady" in the first post.

I'm not saying don't be proud of your ancestry, but at a certain point, you cease to be Scottish/Russian/whatever.
              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Not really. You should never forget your history, from where you came from, to what decisions in life you have made. That's the way I see it. The only thing that doesn't change is that you're under the flag of whatever country you now live in. If you dont like it that's fine. But that's how I roll.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                  Personally, I disagree with comments like this... I think we should drop em all together.

I was born here, my parents were born here, my grandparents were born here, all but ONE of my great grandparents was born here. Sorry but I'm not from "somewhere else". I'm American. That IS my nationality, nothing else.

That doesn't mean I deserve to be here any more or any less than anyone else, but I think we need to get away from the whole "I'm Scottish/Russian/whatever" thing. Separating people like that is part of the problem that creates people like the "lady" in the first post.

I'm not saying don't be proud of your ancestry, but at a certain point, you cease to be Scottish/Russian/whatever.

I have to disagree. You don't cease to be anything simply because you live in the United States. Yes, you become an American but that doesn't mean you turn your back on the place of your origins. You become part of the great "melting pot of society".

Comment

[/B]

I have to disagree. You don't cease to be anything simply because you live in the United States. Yes, you become an American but that doesn't mean you turn your back on the place of your origins. You become part of the great "melting pot of society".
                    ... but America IS the place of my origins. That's what I'm saying.

Sure, my family may have been from Scotland and Norway... but that was at LEAST 150 years ago. I don't have any connection to those places anymore, how can I be Scottish or Norwegian... if I don't have anything in common with those cultures?
                    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I'm American. My family history sucks.

Why should I claim to be something besides what I am (besides being embarassed about what we do sometimes or the "cuisine" which we foist upon the world ... you know, the stuff spooged out of factories in ready-to-microwave bags)?
                      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Okay, everyone. If you want to discuss what makes a real American and what you are, we've got Fratching. If you want to discuss the actual incident, we've got this thread. It's drifted somewhat.

Rapscallion

Comment

[/B]

You kinda contradicted yourself there. The idea of the Melting Pot is very much like what LG is saying. In fact, back during the great waves of immigration, you, and your children, weren't Scots, or Irish, or Germans, or Poles, but Americans. I've read quite a few accounts of first generation Americans whose parents refused to let them speak anything but English, because "they were Americans now." That's the Melting Pot. Your explanation's really more of a Tossed Salad.

So yes, I am an American. I may have roots in Scotland, but I am, and always will be, an American. And that Indian guy who just took his citizenship test with the Pakistani guy, the Chinese lady, and the Mexican dude? They're Americans too.

The point that immigration was what built this country can't be denied, though, and to demand that someone "go back to where they came from" is boorish and ignorant. If their ancestors hadn't come over here when they did, they wouldn't now be enjoying things like the First Amendment, and freedom from having troops quartered in your house without your permission.

^_^
                          Last edited by Record Store Tough Guy; 09-16-2008, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Sorry, Dave. Had to close this one. People weren't paying attention.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                            X