This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Ike begets Hurricane Jerk

Right, so we need a bit of backstory to this one that just happened a couple hours ago.

Ike, now a tropical depression, hit the city of P&G, Kroger, the Reds and the Bengals, which collided with a cold front coming east. The result was lots of wind, knocking down trees and knocking out power. At one point, 3/4ths of the city was without electricity.

Naturally, the few restaurants where they DID have power were going to be busy as hell, and the Waffle House was no exception.

Our experience was.... well, kinda lame, but to be fair, they did appear to be short-staffed, as we saw one server going a mile a minute getting things done. We waited quite awhile to even get drinks taken care of, and by then, we'd made up our minds on what to get.

Later on, this dude was heard talking really loud, saying he'd seen the place busier and that his wait time was outrageous. My family and I thought he was joking around, but he mouthed off later...

I don't remember the actual discussion, but it went something like this:

HJ == Hurricane Jerk

HJ: I've waited 40 minutes to get seated, and now 20 minutes to get my order taken. Why should it take this long?

[explanation drowned out by the noise in the restaurant]

HJ: I know you guys are busy. But I've seen more people and had less wait time before! This is getting outrageous. Why have I been waiting an hour and 10 minutes?!

[Cook says something, can't catch it thanks to the noise again]

HJ: Oh, what? You wanna do something about it? Huh? (at this point, the cook's being urged away from the SC. Something tells me the cook was fixin' to come around and kick some ass)

Shortly after this, he found the door and used it. We were glad to see him go, and some even applauded.

ProTip: When the remnants of a hurricane hit, be lucky anything stays open if they have power, especially on a sunday.

I was actually shocked. We went to a restaurant to eat for lunch since our power was out and there were hardly anyone there and everybody was actually tolerable.

Comment

The southern area of our city got hit by that windstorm pretty badly. Hubby and I were out of town for the weekend and got home to find no power and trees down everywhere. Thankfully, our power came back a little after 9 last night, but the energy company is saying it might be the end of the week before everyone gets power back.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

The only natural disasters I get where I live are earthquakes, which are far more rare than hurricanes, however they can do quite a bit of damage to everything.

When an earthquake happens and wipes out the infrastructure for a few days, you better get used to eating cold food, such as sandwiches and the like. Or, if you're going to cook, it'll be done the old fashioned way, outside with fire.

Restaurants are a luxury while the power companies are scrambling to get things fixed up.

Comment

We live just across the river and our power has been out since 3 pm Sunday (I am writing this at my Mom's in Louisville). I don't mind the power being out except we went grocery shopping Sunday morning and I think we'll have to eat about $50 worth of perishable food. We called for a pizza yesterday and it took them 90 minutes to get it to us; of course we understood and gave the driver a big fat tip.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Working...
          X