This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paranoid Whackjob

I've been reading some of the older threads here, and was reminded of something that set me back a few steps. The thread that jogged my memory is here http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=30153

This was about half a dozen years ago--after 9/11 and recently enough after it that a lot of people were still antsy. The evening in question, I was out with my family having dinner at a local restaurant. I was wearing my Command and Conquer Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge t-shirt. It has a symbol on the front. (Click the link for a picture of the box art--the symbol on the dude's head is what's on the front of the shirt). http://www.amazon.com/Command-Conque...5424623&sr=1-1

As we're leaving, I am accosted by a customer who accuses me of being a terrorist because I "have Arabic writing on my shirt!!eleven!!1!1!"

Pardon?

For the record, if I were any whiter, I'd be transparent.
    Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

I knew it! Your shirt says you steal my cookies!!! EQ made them for me special & I will horde them! hehehe

weird people... ignorance is bliss until it annoys the crap out of me
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Perhaps it was the same woman that reported me to the inn's security because she saw me on the loading dock in my Autobot insignia t-shirt?

Comment

A little bit off topic but arabs and other middle easterners are considered white.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
          Perhaps it was the same woman that reported me to the inn's security because she saw me on the loading dock in my Autobot insignia t-shirt?
          Don't know about that but I remember a few months/year ago someone got taken off an airplane because of a Transformers movie T-shirt. Apparently it was a threat somehow (well they *are* Robots in Disguise...)
          Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Seriously, has there ever been a single suicide bombing etc by a person wearing a tee shirt with Arabic writing on it? (Never minding that the symbol wasn't, I'd say you'd be at more of a threat from people hiding their ethnicity.

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
              A little bit off topic but arabs and other middle easterners are considered white.
              Good point--let me amend.

If I were any more Anglo/Northern European, I'd be transparent.
              Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, Anytime I see a possibly Homicidial terrorist, I go up and yell at him.

Comment

I wore a pair of earrings with these on them(west coast choppers anyone) and had a customer call in and complain to my boss I was wearing Swastika earrings, and should be fired. He called me back in to his office, looked at my earrings and said "keep wearing them, it's a free country"-at our company x-mas party he actually bought me a pair of swastika earrings as he knew I was Buddhist, and knew what the prior meaning for them was(and yes they were Buddhist and not Nazi)

Oddly enough she didn't even notice the German Army ring that I wear, taken by my grandfather from a dead Nazi soldier, and given to me as a "reminder of what hatred can do, and to never fall victim to it"
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

It's a sad world when people can't tell the difference between a swastika and the German Cross.

And yes, the swastika was originally a symbol of good luck. The Finnish and Swedish air forces (probably among others) used it completely independently of any Nazi ideas - but stopped using it after the war, because the meaning had been corrupted. The Finnish version was blue, and could still be seen on a war-vintage fighter pulled out of a Russian lake a few years ago.

Even now, the swastika is illegal to display in Germany. In the famous film Das Boot, the German Naval flag is shown hoisted on the submarine in one scene - but it is carefully folded so that the swastika on it is hidden from the camera.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                      I wore a pair of earrings with these on them(west coast choppers anyone) and had a customer call in and complain to my boss I was wearing Swastika earrings, and should be fired. He called me back in to his office, looked at my earrings and said "keep wearing them, it's a free country"-at our company x-mas party he actually bought me a pair of swastika earrings as he knew I was Buddhist, and knew what the prior meaning for them was(and yes they were Buddhist and not Nazi)

Oddly enough she didn't even notice the German Army ring that I wear, taken by my grandfather from a dead Nazi soldier, and given to me as a "reminder of what hatred can do, and to never fall victim to it"
                      not just buddhist i believe its also a Roma symbol , flipped...allow me to look further

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                        Wow... all my grandpa looted was a few crummy vases. They're nice and all, but they weren't taken off a dead soldier.
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                        X