This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mind if I vent?

So, some of you may remember my recent post about how my laptop died.

I have been going crazy without it. I have a desktop, but it is old and just not the same. So, although I couldn't really afford it, I scraped together some money and bought a Dell. My laptop that died was an HP, and I was certainly not going to buy another from them after my last one only lasted a year and a half.

So, I got it yesterday.

And it didn't work.

Right out of the box. All I got was a blue screen...nothing else. So I called them. The tech asked me to hit a whole bunch of different keys, blah blah blah. Nothing. So, then he asked me to get a screwdriver. I was at work, and couldn't find one. Not to mention the fact that I shouldn't have to take it apart when I just got it!! What if my hand slips and I break something? (Not likely, but still.) So, I tell the tech this. Then he offers to have me send it back, they will repair it and send it back to me. Again, I just bought it......it doesn't work, I really don't want that machine.

So, he said I could talk to his manager. They were both very nice, the manager said I could return it and order a new one. I also made sure to tell him that the tech was great, and I knew it wasn't his fault, blah blahblah.

Long story shorter, they get the return info and then switch me to someone in Sales. This is where the problem starts. They want me to pay for another laptop and they will refund the first when they get it back. I tell the rep that I really don't want to do that. He says "Well, ma'am, if you can't afford it, you will just have to wait."

WTF?

Let me explain, I sort of understand the point. They don't know that I am not a scammer trying to get another computer. They could send me a new one and never get the original back. However, this guy was WAY out of line, imo. Who the hell is he to talk to me like that? Jerk.

I don't even know how to explain how I feel about this. Since they sent me a defective product, I now have to wait who knows how long until they decide to refund my money before I can buy another one. I understand that as a company there is a risk that I am a scammer. However, I am not. I wanted a new laptop, I chose their company, and now I have to wait who knows how long because they sent me a defective product.

Words can not describe how frustrated I am by this whole process.

UGH.

I love Dell and have never had a problem with them, but honestly I would call back and tell them you just want a refund, not a new laptop in exchange, and that you will be purchasing your new laptop from a competitor instead.

Then send a formal complaint letter about how you were treated.

There's a guide around here somewhere on how to complain without being sucky... I just can't seem to find it...
    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

UPS is supposed to pick up the defective one, and I am just not going to order a new one. I have a feeling that it will take them FOREVER to refund my money anyway, so by then I will be so frustrated with them that I won't buy from them anyway!

Just watch, there will be good deals on Black Friday, but Dell will still have my money.

(And NO, I do not go to the stores on Black Friday....NO WAY. I am talking online deals.....)

Comment

I understand the frustration. I wish you could charge a corporation interest for holding your money for more than a certain number of days! It's like giving them a 0% APR loan of $1000 or so.
        My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

I heard that Toshiba might be putting out some good black friday deals. I know I'm in absolute love of mine.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
            I heard that Toshiba might be putting out some good black friday deals. I know I'm in absolute love of mine.
            I'm with you on that. Only problem I've ever had was the battery losing life, but that's normal. Dell, on the other hand...I got a Dell a couple years ago, it crapped out on me in six months. Got another, same thing. Bought a Toshiba, and I've had this one for almost two years now.
            Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
              There's a guide around here somewhere on how to complain without being sucky... I just can't seem to find it...
              http://www.customerssuck.com/index.p...p2_articleid=4

It was good enough to go on the front pages.

Rapscallion

Comment

Personally I picked up a refurb laptop from Tiger Direct about a year ago. Pretty good deal. About 600 for the base machine and another 400 or so for 2 year warranty. Maybe the pc was 800. Anyhoo it was a total of about 1000. All for a P4 3.0 ghz machine!! Lots of Vroom! Yeah battery life stinks but I don't usually use it without plugging it in.
                Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Gah, sounds like the tech I got when I had a (one of many) problem with my computer, which is also a Dell. He wanted me to open it up. At that time, I still didn't know much, it was brand spankin' new, and I was really uncomfortable about opening it up. After going round and round with this idiot cajoling me to open it up, I finally told him I had to hang up and go to work. Then called back and got a different tech, who helped me without my needing to open up the machine!

What I don't get is that even if they thought you were a scammer, couldn't they have set up something in their system that as soon as they received your busted machine, they would then ship out the new one? Oops, sorry....that would be something too close to logic.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

See I love tech support that assumes your stupid, or sales that assumes your stupid also

(IN this case support rocked, sales sucked a big one)

I wish you good luck on this, and hope they process your return fast
                    Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                    pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      It was good enough to go on the front pages.
                      We have front pages?!?

Wow... I've had my bookmark set directly for the boards for so long I forgot that part of the site even existed!
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I think the attitude was horrible, but if I were in your situation I wouldn't want to give them the money anyway. Sure Dell is a major corporation but... Let's say each computer is $1000 so I've already given you $1000 plus I ship the first computer back to you and give you another $1000. So right now you have my $2000 plus the computer and I have what? Nothing. Like I said Dell is a major corporation so I assume I would get my money and the computer back, but no way am I putting all the cards in their corner.

Comment

It certainly seems a little odd. My last two PCs were bought from Cyberpower, an online store. The first one had an issue with the motherboard that showed up after a few days of heavy use, and it was ultimately decided to replace the motherboard. They shipped me out a new board with the understanding that I was to ship the old board right back in the same packing, and they included the return shipping tag. If I had been a scammer, or just not returned the bad board, then I'd have been charged for the replacement board and shipping costs. Seemed like a good way to do it to me at the time. I'm not sure why the OP's company isn't doing something similar.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Dell sucks.

I still have the laptop. I called them and asked when it would be picked up and long story short they asked if I would be willing to take it to UPS.....I told them absolutely...anything to speed the process up.

24 hours later, I am still waiting for the label they promised to send, which means my refund has been delayed, which sucks because now I won't have the funds if there are any sweet black friday online deals.

AND the Dell person I spoke to yesterday asked why I didn't want to purchase another one, and I explained the refund issue and he said "Why? Don't you trust Dell to refund you?"

Gee, it must be so nice to just have unlimited money to spend. The previous poster said it exactly right, I give them more money and then have to wait, and still have no computer.

UGH.

So, yeah.......Dude, I am NOT getting a Dell.

I am not getting anything else in the immediate future though either.

HOWEVER. I am very happy with an Apple dude right now. I emailed them because I never backed up my iTunes. (I know...STUPID.) The tech who wrote me back was so extremely helpful and I got all of my music back...YAY.

I just wish that Macs were more compatible with PCs and then I would be all over that shiz.

Comment

Funnily enough, you can install Windows on a recent Mac, and it will work better than on the average PC. The build quality of MacBooks (and PowerBooks before them) is also much higher than typical PC laptops.

Comment

Working...
                              X