Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

let the holiday decoration complaining begin...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let the holiday decoration complaining begin...

So in the union where I work we used to be not allowed to decorate for xmas.Because we had a spineless trustee that caves to one college professor complaints that the xmas trees were offensive. So for like 5 years no decorations. So now we have a great trustee that has publicy said (in a professional way) that these people can kiss his ass.Thats what happens when an employee starts a petion to bring back the decorations. ( I have no idea who that could be)So now with all the beautiful trees,kawanza stuff and Hanukkah I'm just waiting for the complaints.last year someone complained about the 12 foot candles decorations on the side of the union.The trustee told them to grow up,they are jsut candles.And besides that they are a staple of the union decorations,you can see them all the way downtown they are so big. I really think that this politically correct crap has really gone too far. As my boss has put it santa claus and frosty the snowman has nothing to do with jebus(my word). My window is going to look so great with my fiber optic santa and mini xmas tree
    Last edited by candyshopgirl; 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM.

What babies...seriously, if you don't like a decoration, IGNORE IT.

What really gets me is when you wish someone "Merry Christmas" and they snap at you because they don't celebrate Christmas. I mean, how hard is it to accept the good wishes for what they are? If someone wishes me "Happy Hannukah," I will smile, and thank them, because I know that they are wishing me well, regardless of which holiday I celebrate.

My CEO is super-sensitive about "international" concerns and political correctness. She almost didn't let us advertise our after-Thanksgiving sale as an after-Thanksgiving sale, because it might confuse or offend our international members (relatively few, and they give us less money than any other group). If I ever say "Merry Christmas" anywhere in my writing for the org, I think I'd be called into her office for a serious conversation.

Sheesh. What is wrong with people? Whatever happened to being of goodwill and having good intentions?
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
      Sheesh. What is wrong with people? Whatever happened to being of goodwill and having good intentions?
      It died when one group decided they were more special than the others.
      I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
      -The Amazing E
      Zonies social group now open!

Comment

I hate the whole "anti happy holiday" people

I am not diminishing people who celebrate christmas I am INCLUDING those who celebrate ALL holidays

most religions and people have a celebration in the month of december/jan so it literally is the holiday season

if you that uptight you think people are attacking your holiday by including others you can stfu in my opinion.
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
          I hate the whole "anti happy holiday" people

I am not diminishing people who celebrate christmas I am INCLUDING those who celebrate ALL holidays
          or you can put it like Lewis Black does, everyone celebrates at least two holidays (insert religious holiday) and New Years, and it's just a hole fucking lot easier to say happy holidays than say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I'm not opposed to saying "Happy Holidays," per se. I like holidays. I just hate having pressure from my boss to never say "Christmas." Just bugs me.
            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I agree that "Happy Holidays" is easier to work with. In most cases, you can't really tell somebody's faith unless they're someone like a Christian Mennonite or a Hassidic Jew, both of whom have rather distinctive dress codes.

By the same token, telling someone they can't say "Merry Christmas" is petty and stupid.
              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I would never snap at someone who wished me "Happy Holidays!" Look at it this way: they could just as easily be saying "Fuck you." Take the goodwill where you find it, I say.
                "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.

Comment

I don't even say "happy holidays". I just stick with my normal "have a nice day."

Cause sometimes, when you say "happy holidays" you get somebody, usually some crotchety old skinbag, getting their Depends in a twist because you're not saying "Merry Christmas."

Most people don't give a shit if you say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays", and the ones who get offended and shouty over one or the other probably wake up every morning looking for things to be offended by.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I say "Happy Holidays", but then that's a personal choice since I choose to enjoy the thoughts of both Christmas and New Years. I've never received a directive to say only Happy Holidays. Matter of fact, the last place I worked suggested we say Merry Christmas so as not to upset the people who like to get upset over stupid shit.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I think that this year I'm going to wish everyone a happy solstice, just to screw with them.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                        I think that this year I'm going to wish everyone a happy solstice, just to screw with them.
                        I'm doing that.

I'll take photos.
                        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                          I'm debating doing that with Happy Kwanzaa, just to screw with people. After all, I'm as pale white as you get without an albinism gene.
                          Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

I did Happy Hannukah one year. You could tell people had to pause and think about it, and a couple got so far as to open their mouths to say something, then noticed the Jewish girl standing next to me wearing her menorah and would snap their jaws closed and scurry out with their heads down.

Tickled the Jewish girl to no end, to the point that she started saying Merry Christmas just to get in on the action. Didn't really work as well for her though, but I let her have her fun.
                            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I don't see why people get all upset about it. It's just *words*

Reminds me of the whole "Sparkle Season" bullshit Pittsburgh did not long ago. They didn't want to offend people, so instead of calling it the "holiday season" meaning Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, etc. they came up with that. Needless to say, it didn't last long. Too many people were going
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X