This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Express lane for fast walkers

I didn't actually see this one, I read it in the paper, but because there's no link, I'm sticking this in sightings. Mods, please move if appropriate.

I, like a few people, read the letters to the editor and the opinion pages, more for interesting insights into how people see things. The letters to the editor usually talk about specific articles posted, occasionally they'll put in irrelevant stuff. This one is waaaay too bitchy. I can't remember it word for word so I'll post a short summary:

Basically, the woman writing was getting sick of having to walk behind the slow people in Rundle Mall (an outdoor shopping mall in Adelaide, that has balls ) and apparaently according to her there were a lot of them. So what does she suggest? She suggests that there be an "lane" marked into the street that is known as Rundle mall for people like her, or for people like the slow person.

Fortunately, she was given a good dose of STFU by the general public
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I sort of sympathize, but I think I'm living in Bizarro World. I love the indoor track at the local rec center, but it's overrun with walkers. Yes, despite the fact that it's, you know, a track. The city has actually encouraged this by starting some "Walk Across America" program where people are supposed to count their mileage and pretend they're walking across the continent.

Anyways, tying this back into the lane envy, there used to be signs on the wall instructing walkers to take the inside of the track so as not to block the runners who are supposed to take the outside. Those signs somehow disappeared months ago, and nobody ever felt the need to put them back up now that they're needed more than ever. They were just cheap sheets of paper; I'm tempted to print out my own and sneak them in...

Anyway, sorry to derail, just venting a bit.

Comment

Her attitude suggested differently. If I can find the original paper I'll let you know, but several of the replies made me think of here, among them included:

-you're inconsiderate.
      -the world revolves around you.
      -ok, maybe we should get a red carpet and roll it out for you etc.

and elaborating further, Rundle Mall is actually a small street in the city. I'll bring up some maps as well. It's very wide and very open-air. It's a shopping mall without the roof basically

There's also a fountain, several arcades (one with apparaently a ghost ), four bronze pigs (it's a common photo op for teenagers to ride the pig that's looking at a person interestedly or to hump the pig against the bins) and a sculpture referred to as "The balls".
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Some of you bloody Adelaideians just don't know when you have it good.

Has Rundle Mall actually gotten bigger since 2000, or is it still about 200 meters long?

On topic: Why doesn't that woman just do what I did when I was there? Walk on the side of the road. I walk fast as well, and find that switching between the edge of the path, side of the road is usually fastest. Even here in Melbourne.
        This post has been brought to you by the IPF SC Neutering Campaign.

Comment

Meh, while I wouldn't want a"lane" I almost understand this.....my pet peeve is when I'm shopping, and there is a gaggle of people (usually, but not always, middle aged women) huddled in a group, moving at a snails pace.....not easy to get around, even with "excuse mes."

But an extra lane? hahhahahhaa
          "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

I think the two situations are entirely different. If I go to the track, I expect to run/or walk or what ever but I assume everyone else is there for the same reason. The local high school leaves the stadium open in the mornings and weekend so the public can use the track. I've used it before and the walkers and runners there have no problem co-existing but I'd be pretty annoyed if I couldn't run cause they were in the way.

But in a mall? Indoor/outdoor, public street, whatever, I assume people are just walking to get where they're going. Especially a mall, people are gonna be browsing.

Comment

Working...
            X