This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should this disturb me

While driving home from work today I stopped at Best Buy, from Best buy to my house it is quicker to take State St. than 15... I noticed a pawn shop that I'm sure has been there forever at about 3300 south State that is advertising "yes, we have AR 50s in stock, take home today"
    Is that even legal
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

that can be scary smiley...............but anyways, it will be good to have one right? j/k .......................ttys bro *^^*

Comment

I don't believe there is a federal law barring their ownership or sale. Certain states *cough*California*cough* have bans on pistol grips on rifles and large-caliber weapons, but that's on the state level, not the federal level.

So my guess is that it is, in fact, legal.

Comment

Quoth reimero View Post
        So my guess is that it is, in fact, legal.
        I know it's legal to own... I just don't know about the whole, "take it home today" part... I thought you had to go through a background check for heavy weapons (then again, I have to remember what state I live in )

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          Is that even legal
          It's just a rifle. Even in gun unfriendly NY I can walk into a store, buy a 30-06 hunting rifle, and walk out with it after filling out BATFE form 4436. If I could find a store that carries that rifle I could do the same thing (They're not a big demand item around here because you can't forest rats with a rifle outside of the Adirondacks). 50cal is an expensive round to fire and an expensive gun to own, but no more dangerous than any other hunting rifle.

I'm confused what the problem is.

Comment

Quoth tphillip View Post
            I'm confused what the problem is.
            like I said, I don't know if there is a problem...
            though I should put some background... I am paranoid about places like that advertising easy access guns. On February 11th 2007 around 6:30 I went to Trolley Square to pick up a birthday present for a friend... I remember that time very specifically because on February 12th at about 6:45 (which was the day I had originally planned on going but had to change my plans because of a change on my work schedule) a Mr. Sulejman Talović opened fire killing 5, injuring 4 others... using weapons purchased at a shop such as that one... and a short year and a half later they are once again advertising being the easiest place to get a gun.
            So I'm asking, am I letting a year and a half old "holy shit" moment cause me to overreact?

Comment

Can we avoid taking this one into Fratching turf, please? We've already got two threads about gun control over there, and I want to keep this place nice and civil.

Rapscallion

Comment

I thought you had to go through a background check for heavy weapons
                i think it depends on the weapon you pick.

i could be wrong but many of the laws are geared to semi autos and stuff like that
                though, from what i read once, you can get more accuracy from a regular dept store rifle. ... like an s-mart boomstick.

edit: just read the post where it says "just a rifle" yeah...

but 50-cal rounds? man ... yeah that's gotta be expensive on the ammo. and i can imagine that thing has a hell of a kick to it too.... I mean the ones i've seen have been mounted so... i can only imagine it won't be an easy weapon to use. ... oh and bloody loud too, if it's anything like the ones i saw.
                Last edited by PepperElf; 12-10-2008, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  but 50-cal rounds? man ... yeah that's gotta be expensive on the ammo. and i can imagine that thing has a hell of a kick to it too.... I mean the ones i've seen have been mounted so... i can only imagine it won't be an easy weapon to use. ... oh and bloody loud too, if it's anything like the ones i saw.
                  Unless the market has changed radically 50Cal rifles run around $6K for the basic model, and bullets can run $6/ea. Not something just anyone is going to own, much less be able to get proficient at what the gun is good at: long range sniping. It is loud but when you're target is 1+ miles away who cares?

It's not a heavy weapon by any definition other then weight. Heavy weapons imply 2+ person weaponry and is usually fired mounted on a vehicle or stationary on a bipod or tripod. Think M60 machine gun, Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW), M2, etc. These can also be owned by civilans in the US provided you get a federal license for $200, you can find a seller, and your state lets you.

IMO it's an overraction, but not a surprising one. Think of it this way: nearly all people who can afford to purchase such a weapon and buy them legally are the least likely to hurt someone with them. I'd be more concerned about those 2+ton semi-guided missiles we allow anyone who breathes "navigate".

Comment

Quoth tphillip View Post
                    I'd be more concerned about those 2+ton semi-guided missiles we allow anyone who breathes "navigate".
                    well, as someone who is destined to get killed by a bus (inside joke ) I guess I should be worrying more about the semi-guided missiles

Comment

It shouldn't be disturbing so long as the person purchasing it is only purchasing the gun and not any ammo.

Sorry, my pathetic attempt at humor....I've been awake too long.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                      X