Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An "Out of Order" sign would be helpful...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An "Out of Order" sign would be helpful...

I stopped at the bank to get some money out of the ATM in the vestibule (the bank lobby was closed, but the drive-up and the ATM were still open). I put in my card, my PIN, entered the amount, and then waited...and waited...and ... nothing. So I decided to try a balance inquiry and see if that worked, which it did. Then I did a "mini-statement" and that worked too. While I was doing that someone came out from the back into the lobby, waved to me, mouthed "It's not working" and then disappeared through the door on the other side. I suppose so the next person to happen along could also find out for themselves that it doesn't work.

So, clearly they were aware that it didn't work. Don't know if it was just out of cash or what, but if it was I would think the machine would give you some indication of such (?). And the woman said it didn't work, not that it was empty. Either way, is it too much to ask that they slap a note on it?

I stopped at Wawa on the way home, instead (their ATM is free). I checked online when I got home and only had one pending transaction, at the Wawa, so I'm pretty sure the first attempt was not deducted from my account.
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 12-09-2008, 11:46 PM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

yeah normally it wont' deduct from your account when the machine is out of cash

but i totally agree.... they should have put up an "out of order" sign.

Comment

Strange. The ATM at my bank will say on the screen it's out of order. Naturally it waits until you're mid-transaction, but at least it tells you. Perhaps the bank has a policy about posting a sign? I know it sounds silly, buy <my store> doesn't like posting hand-made signs until the last possible moment. You see, posting signs "looks bad", yet pissing off your customers is usually worse I'd think
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        Strange. The ATM at my bank will say on the screen it's out of order.
        Yeah, that was the weird thing. I recall once trying to get money from an ATM that then told me it didn't have anything for me. This got all the way to asking me if I wanted a receipt and then went back to its rotating ad screen that it displays between customers, and said nothing. Grr.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          Yeah, that was the weird thing. I recall once trying to get money from an ATM that then told me it didn't have anything for me. This got all the way to asking me if I wanted a receipt and then went back to its rotating ad screen that it displays between customers, and said nothing. Grr.
          I had that happen yesterday. I needed money. I said $60. It so not enough funds in machine to something to that effect. I tried again, but with only $20. Same thing. The I ended the transaction and it want back to it start here ad screen.

Comment

I bank at WF, and their ATMs (here, at least) always show if they're out of money. Of course, if they've only got forty, and you ask for sixty, you won't find out until you ask for it, but that's not surprising.
            The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Working...
            X