This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Jiffy Lube, Screw You

I've been getting my oil changed at Jiffy Lube. I'd go there because I'd bring it in and they'd instantly be working on it, finishing it quickly and efficiently. Every time I go, they'd go through the regular crap, asking me about getting a tire rotation (which they'd charge ~$70 for), transmission fluid, windshield wipers, air filter. I declined whenever I went. Since my car is over 60k miles, they keep suggesting their high mileage oil which would cost about $55 instead of the $38 standard oil. Went through the standard crap yesterday, they gave me a list of things that should get looked at, all of which they'd do of course but not for cheap.

Went to Sears today cause I needed two new front tires. They checked my alignment for me cause I've never actually had it checked. It was in bad shape. Got that fixed too. Not too expensive though. The woman I was talking to was telling me I really should get my tires rotated every other oil change. I asked her how much Sears charges for that...they charge NOTHING. FREE tire rotations. So I asked her if they did oil changes and they charge $8 less for the oil I use.

So Sears charges nothing for a tire rotation whereas Jiffy Lube charges over $70. Sears charges $8 less for an oil change. Damnit Jiffy Lube sucks. Thanks for screwing me.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

My last van I changed my own oil with the cheapest, most generic oil I could find. Engine ran great, even at 201,000 miles! Didn't burn a drop. Only had to get rid of it because the all-wheel drive system went out and it would cost far too much to overhaul it than the van was worth.

Comment

Huh huh huh...lube
      Heh heh m heh heh...screw

What, me gutter-minded? Well duh!
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Huh huh huh...lube
        Heh heh m heh heh...screw
        Yeah that's what it feels like when you find out how much cheaper it is to do it all yourself instead of paying someone else to do it.

Hey that's another thought that could be misconstrued by someone with a dirty mind.

Comment

I was taught how to change my oil when I was 16... and change a tire and read my oil and blah blah My brother gave me a lesson when I got my first car.

He always does his own, puts in a small bit of diesel like a cup full and runs the car for about 30 seconds then drains the oil and diesel out and tops it up with new stuff. So much cheaper. The family has been in the car 10 years and is over 200,000 kilometers and nothing has had to be done except the brake pads. The diesel apparently cleans it out really well but you can only use a tiny bit

I was always taught those places are a rip off but it helps if your brother worked at a car shop for 5 years.
          Last edited by Kiwi; 12-17-2008, 09:34 PM.
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Well, changing a tire, that I know how to do. But Sears barely charged me anything at all to put it on themselves so I figured what the hell. As far as oil changes go though, my car is quite the low rider. I couldn't jack it up high enough to do it.
            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
              The family has been in the car 10 years .
              Aren't things a bit cramped?
              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                Aren't things a bit cramped?
                haha walked into that one didnt I

no sorry I meant that it had stayed WITHIN my family, my mum brought it when I was leaving to go travelling
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

yeah i've found that sears usually charges a lot less than other places.

i failed a car inspection once and got the dreaded rejection sticker which meant i could ONLY legally drive the car home, to a repair shop, or do an inspection station. the place who did my inspection said they could fix the issues for about $300 (actually i think it was more than that!)

Sears charged me less than $200. And since I was going to be out of town for about 3-4 days they let me leave the car there until I was back.

only bad thing was that sears didn't do inspections.

Comment

I usually lost more oil then what I put in for what I could pay for someone to do. Soooooo someone else gets paid to top my fluids and change my oil. To me it's money well spent.

Comment

Well, I'm pleased to hear you had a good experience with Sears. The one over hear sucketh the big wind. I'd take it in for brakes, they'd mess up. Change a tire and oil change, they'd accidently unhook something. Yeah, I learned very quickly that Sears isn't the place for me.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I change my own oil.. I usually rotate my own tires & by usually I mean only once. Say what? But at a local car wash, they will top off the fluids and rotate my tires. Also I get a free wash. so I am not complaining.
                        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I used to change my own oil, but the vehicle I have now, I literally cannot reach the oil filter. They (the garage) have to find the skinniest guy with the longest arms to get the filter off.

The ONLY time I went to Jiffy Lube, I was feeling lazy. (I could sit on the curb and reach under the front bumper to the oil plug.) After about 5 minutes in the bay, they asked me what kind of transmission fluid I used, but did not want to tell me why. Turns out they had drained my transmission fluid INSTEAD of my oil. I had just had the engine and transmission rebuilt, and had some super-fancy transmission fluid in there. I got very upset, but did not ream them out, and went in and showed them how to change my oil. I never went back. And I tell everyone I know.

OK, so it was a 1969 Saab. In 1989. But nobody else ever had a problem finding the oil pan!
                          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I live very much by the philosophy that if I have no idea what I'm doing, take it to a professional that does. When it comes to cars I have only a very basic idea of things. Hence I take it to a professional. Thankfully the guys I take it to are real good about explaining exactly what they are doing and how it'll help the car. They also have no problems and don't go trying to weasel me into things. When I say "Change the oil as cheaply as possible" they go "Sure thing" and change my oil as cheaply as possible.

Granted I also like them cause they are not total jerks. One time my wipers broke down in the middle of a major snow storm. I had no idea what to do but I was near them so I drove there very carefully with a little patch of sight from the only spot in the windshield I could see out of. I get there and they guys recognized my car and came running since there wasn't anyone in front of me. Checked my wipers and fixed them on the spot for no charge.

Some things you just cannot put a price on. Awesome people like these guys is one of them.
                            "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

My car has over 200,000 miles on it, and I've noticeed that when I use the high milage oil, I have to add extra quarts less often than when I use the regular stuff. Or maybe it's just me.

As to getting my oil changed at Jiffy Lube or Sears, it depends on which I need more at the time-a quick change or low cost. I usually go to Sears, but if I went way too long without a change, and my schedule's packed, I'll go to Jiffy for a quick fix.

I'll never use Pep Boys again, though. The customer service sucked big time, and it took them nearly three hours to change my friggin' oil!
                              "Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding."
                              -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

Comment

Working...
                              X