This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Chromatix View Post
    but they normally work to a looser standard - it has to be pretty bad.
    Uh, no.

Depending on the Officer you might have a blown light, a slightly didgy tire or an illegal tint on the windows, however it does have to be pretty bad before they prohibit the vehicle.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
      Depending on the Officer you might have a blown light, a slightly didgy tire or an illegal tint on the windows, however it does have to be pretty bad before they prohibit the vehicle.
      Well, not exactly. Here, if a cop sees you have a headlight out, he can cite you for it. Same with a taillight or license plate light, or even bald tires. Most of those things will earn you a warning. That's why I always make sure that my lights work, or if they don't, get them fixed ASAP. It's just not worth taking a chance--I really don't want some idiot to rear-end me because I've got a bad brake light...
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
        Here, if a cop sees you have a headlight out, he can cite you for it. Same with a taillight or license plate light, or even bald tires. Most of those things will earn you a warning. That's why I always make sure that my lights work, or if they don't, get them fixed ASAP.
        Same here. I got pulled over one time for having a headlight out. I could tell the cop was itching to write a ticket, except I had the replacement headlight on my passenger seat I'd bought not even 15 minutes before. Just had to get home and put it in. This was one of the older "whole unit" replacements, not the simpler "just the bulb" most cars have today.

Comment

Beware of Jiffy Lube!

A cautionary tale...

I went in and had the oil changed at a Jiffy Lube in my new (at the time) 2003 Chevy Tracker. I used them because they were quick, and I paid a premium for it. I always had to pay extra because of my 4-wheel drive, but okay.

Cue 3 days later as suddenly my fluid light comes on and a few minutes later as I'm struggling to get home at 1 in the morning from inventory at my job at the time when the engine goes BOOM and car dies. I have to walk 3 miles home in 20 degree weather. I was furious.

Had car towed to my dealership and it turned out that the idiots at Jiffy Lube had replaced my standard measurement oil filter with a metric one. It had been jammed on but of course, was not 'flush'. All the oil slipped out after the filter jostled loose. The dealership even kept the oil filter for me to see and you could see how it had been jammed on. They found it literally hanging by one tiny piece.

I called Jiffy Lube - first the location where I had the work done, then the corporate number and was informed, 'tough dice'. They were utterly unconcerned that their lack of training had resulted in a brand new engine being ruined.

We went back and forth for a couple of weeks until I finally called my insurance agent and he in turn called a lawyer.

Jiffy Lube then paid for a new engine, but my car was never the same. Bastards.
          Just to cut off any helpful suggestions: This woman was not blind, nor disabled. She was just a bitch. - Boozy

Comment

Thanks for the explanation! I'm guessing my car wouldn't make it. I've got a consistent ABS/Traction light going on. Blargh.
            Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

I take my car to a Goodyear shop to have the oil changed. They've always done a good job.

I went to a nearby 10-minute oil change place a couple times, but stopped after I recognized one of the "mechanics" as being a flunky I knew in high school who was always in trouble for drugs, fights, disorderly conduct and other things.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                Well, not exactly. Here, if a cop sees you have a headlight out, he can cite you for it.
                Well, technically (s)he can issue a ticket, they can also issue a VDRS (Vehicle Defect Repair Scheme) which gives the person 7 days to get it fixed or they get a ticket or they can give words of advice.

A Prohibitation Notice is only given when the vehicle is not roadworthy (excessive window tint 'slick' bald tyres, that sort of thing).
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                X