This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• epic parenting fail(uber short)

some kid at the register behind me(I was turned around to get a big bag, so I saw it) has 2 of the tube type light bulbs in his hands banging them on the cart with the mother watching, and *shocker* one shatters. The mom seemed surprised that it broke *facepalm*

Lemme guess. She then pretended nothing happened and hid them on the shelf for someone to discover later. Or she acted as if they came that say and acted snottily when telling the cashier she didn't "want these"
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

This is where a "you break it, you bought it" rule would come in handy. I bet mommy would pay more attention and not let her child bang fragile items around like that.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

What's even worse is that technically those bulbs are toxic when broken (had a friend have an arm swell up to the size of a beach ball when a piece got stuck in his arm and he didn't notice it)

That there is a brilliant mother.

Comment

... let me guess, she let Junior watch "40 year old virgin"

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
            What's even worse is that technically those bulbs are toxic when broken (had a friend have an arm swell up to the size of a beach ball when a piece got stuck in his arm and he didn't notice it)

That there is a brilliant mother.
            That's because those bulbs contain mercury. If one of them shatters, you're supposed to call the EPA to clean it up, because of that. My parents have some, and refuse to buy more because they don't like the quality of the light they produce.
            Dealer hits... 21. Table loses.

This happens more often than most people want to believe.

Comment

That reminds me, I need to buy four of those light tubes. The ones in the kitchen have gone out.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Tuxian View Post
                That's because those bulbs contain mercury. If one of them shatters, you're supposed to call the EPA to clean it up, because of that. My parents have some, and refuse to buy more because they don't like the quality of the light they produce.
                I thought that was the case, but since I couldn't remember for sure I didn't want to post it.

Comment

Quoth Tuxian View Post
                  Sad thing is that the regular (incandescent) style are being phased out. What will we put in chicken incubators then?
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I think you'll still be able to buy traditional-style bulbs for special-purpose lamps.

For example, it's harder to make an oven-proof CFL or LED, so oven lights will still use tungsten bulbs. I think fridge lights will probably go over to LEDs though, because they turn on instantly, work even better in the cold than at room temperature, and last pretty much forever.

I imagine heat lamps will also continue to be tungsten, because the "waste" heat that makes incandescents inefficient for lighting actually becomes a feature. This is also true of the toy ovens, which use a light bulb for heat because it's safer than a proper heating element.

Comment

Quoth Tuxian View Post
                      My parents have some, and refuse to buy more because they don't like the quality of the light they produce.
                      They are quite harsh on the eyes when they're new aren't they?
                      They do soften up over time, though. And they last almost forever, so I'm a tube supporter.
                      "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I bet the parent will probably launch a lawsuit against the store for damages both mentally and physically upon the child.

Sorry, I've been in complete douchebag prediction mode lately.
                        Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Personally I like the way mine take a while to warm up. It's less hard on the eyes if you're coming in from the dark.

I'm talking about the active-ballast CFL bulbs, rather than passive-ballasted long tubes.

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                            And they last almost forever, so I'm a tube supporter.
                            so true... my mother bought her first CFL 6 years ago... she just finally had to replace it last month... and this is in a light that is used WAY too many hours a day (seriously, she'll leave it on any time she's not home at night as well as when she is home... she never wants it to look like there isn't anyone home).

and yes, I too am a tube supporter... the mercury in the bulb in small in comparison to the pollution that is generated to produce the extra power and extra bulbs needed to provide the same light with traditional incandescent bulbs.
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Fluorescents usually do last longer if they're kept on rather than switched frequently. A 6-year lifetime isn't at all surprising.

On the flip side, the bike shed here has a set of motion-controlled lights. They're pretty much worn out, since they turn on afresh whenever someone comes in.

Comment

Working...
                              X