Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk about not being the brightest bulbs of the bunch.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
      I think fridge lights will probably go over to LEDs though, because they turn on instantly, work even better in the cold than at room temperature, and last pretty much forever.
      But what about "planned obsolescence"? If something lasts too long, no money will be made off its replacement!

<Primer fwaps herself and goes to stand in the corner.>
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Fridges have moving parts: it's called the compressor. It usually lasts a long time, but it will wear out eventually. That's your "planned obsolescence".

Also, the door seals.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
          Sad thing is that the regular (incandescent) style are being phased out. What will we put in chicken incubators then?
          They're not being "phased out" in that they'll disappear from the earth. But they are probably going to become less common, less factories will be making them and the price will likely go up at some point. I also suspect that sooner or later many districts will throw some kind of silly "green tax" on them just because they can.

Personally I replaced all my bulbs years ago and use CFLs almost exclusively. But "old" bulbs are still great for a good many things... areas you want lit in a certain ways, high traffic (flick on, flick off) areas, areas where the heat is just as important as the light... just not my lamp next to me that's going to be on all evening.
          Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

What will we put in chicken incubators then?
            Microwave components?

O wait... you want to grow them, not cook them... um... maybe they'll still make some for pet cages?

Comment

I think I said earlier that heat lamps will still be allowed. ;-) When the "waste" heat produced is more important than the light, the old incandescent type is still perfectly appropriate.

Comment

oh my gosh... lol
                hopefully the mother paid for the broken bulbs.
                she would be a really sucky customer if she didn't lol

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                  What's even worse is that technically those bulbs are toxic when broken (had a friend have an arm swell up to the size of a beach ball when a piece got stuck in his arm and he didn't notice it)

That there is a brilliant mother.
                  that wasn't the mercury (a tiny amount, if you go on a smashing spree the exposure is going to be similar to having a tuna sandwich)

may have been a reaction to the powder inside the tube that converts UV to normal light, or just plain infection due to having powdery glass stuck in his arm.
                  DILLIGAF

Comment

Working...
                  X