Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really hope he just wasn't thinking...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really hope he just wasn't thinking...

Ok, perhaps I over reacted but it is what it is. To preface this story, I have been laid off since July and have not had much luck finding work. (Tourist area, small town etc etc, great fun) Finances have been tight to say the least and trying to get my kids a small Christmas has been challenging. My fiance and I went shopping tonight and we stopped at a rather well known toy store for some inexpensive stocking stuffers. I found a Hello Kitty tin of candy that would be great for my daughter as she is the type that will save the tin and re-use it over and over.

Anywho...so I make my way to the cashier with my $2.49 purchase and hand it over to be scanned. As he takes it from he, he chuckles and says...ooooh...biiiig spender, in a really condescending tone. He said a few other things along the same line, like he was so used to people spending way more and it was just cracking him up, my little purchase. By this point a haze of red had begun to cloud my vision and I opted to keep my mouth shut. Stress of no money had really hit me today and I was worried I'd say the wrong thing and cry, or something equally stupid. The transaction wraps up, he laughs and asks me if I want a bag and then starts to hand me two receipts and takes one back laughing, oh, you probably don't want the gift receipt.

Long story short (I know, too late!) the look on my face must have said it all when I exited the store, my fiance took one look at me and could see I was ready to disembowel someone. He ended up going in and speaking to management about it (very nicely) and an apology was given. The manager said she would speak to him but I was pretty embarrassed about being upset over something that normally, I probably would have laughed off or at least dealt with myself.

General consensus....am I whiny, or justified?

You were treated rudely. It'd be pretty strange if you weren't upset about it.

That said, is it at all possible that, due to your current situation, you were reading attitude into a conversation when it wasn't there? Hey, I wasn't present and if you say you were treated in a condescending way, I completely believe you. I just had to think this through because when I give it thought, I realize that some of the comments I make as a cashier may be misconstrued. For example, seeing someone buying beef ramen and my commenting that I love the stuff. Hey it's all well and good, unless the person is buying it because it's cheap, not because they have a choice. What I said could be considered insulting. Again, I fully believe you when you say you were treated rudely. Like I said, I had to give this one some thought since attitude/tone can be subjective.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I dunno

Generally when someone says "oooooh big spender" when you're buying a small item, they're normally doing the "Hey! I sound like I'm joking, but I'm really being a passive aggressive asshat!"
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Justified. No cashier should be mocking a small purchase, in jest or otherwise.
        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
          Justified. No cashier should be mocking a small purchase, in jest or otherwise.
          Unless you really know the person and they are known for making large purchases.

Even then I wouldn't do it.

Comment

A cashier should keep small talk to the minimum & even then be carefull of what they say cause you never know how someone is going to react.

Comment

Thank you. I felt like an idiot being upset over it and as I said, under normal circumstances I would normally have dealt with it right there and then but I just knew that if I did, I would have REALLY regretted what came out of my mouth.

Thanks! I feel much better now and am back in kick ass mode this morning.

(For the record, this wasn't a young high school kid, I had him pegged for mid 50's)

Comment

I think you're justified.

It's one thing for him to say "oh, big spender", if a customer comments on the purchase themselves, and then you have a chuckle and leave it at that.

It went way too far, and for how I've been treated at work lately, I probably would've been just as upset.

Comment

He was a jerk, for sure. I would have been ticked as well.

And Hello Kitty rules I had a HK tin w/ candy.....used the tins\ for a long time until it was finally dented beyond use.
                  "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                  "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

I agree and think you were justified in being upset. I applaud you, however, for allowing fiance to be the one to go talk to management because then it was done calmly and you didn't accidently become the sucky one by being upset.

Maybe the cashier meant it as a joke but with the way the job market and economy are right now, we all need to remember that people might be hurting more than we think they are. Just because someone is wearing nice clothes or driving a nice car (not saying you are, just an example) does not mean that they have the money to buy those things NOW. That could be left over from a time when things were good and they're just taking care of their things.

Everyone seems to be tightening the purse strings right now. Some cashiers might want to take stock of that and think about what they say before they say it. No cashier knows the customers situation and unless said customer is rude, there is no reason to be rude to them.
                    I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Not to mention that, unless they work on commission, it's really none of their damn business how much you spend.
                      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

You guys rock! Thank you for your input, I knew I could get a straight forward, honest response here. (Looooooong time lurker. hah)

And...to the person that used Ramen noodles as an example...WAY different. If that had been the situation it would have been completley different and my response would have been "And they're cheap! Double bonus!!" Laughs..everyone goes away happy. So, no worries there.

Comment

i freakin hate it when people comment over my purchase. cos usually when they do that it ends up being embarassing.

like the time i bought a couple of real truffles at the grocery store. the cashier just HAD to comment on the price tag? wtf? if not for the fact that i really wanted them, i'd ahve left them there.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                            Generally when someone says "oooooh big spender" when you're buying a small item, they're normally doing the "Hey! I sound like I'm joking, but I'm really being a passive aggressive asshat!"
                            Iradney, you hit the nail on the head.

Personally, I would have told him what the situation was in my *special* voice, that one that crystallizes the air around me and causes the recipient to freeze in shock. It's a great voice. Not a lot of info, but something like, "Well, since I lost my job, making a Christmas for my children is difficult, but I'm doing what I can. Maybe I should go apply for your job, because by the time I'm done talking to your manager about your behavior, I'm sure there'll be an open position here." But that's just me.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Who's to say that this Hello Kitty tin wasn't just the final touches to your daughter's wonderful Christmas? I'm sure she had a wonderful Christmas regardless of the amount of money you spent. The cashier had no right to make condesending comments to you about your purchases or anyone else's, whether they are large or small purchases. I've personally found that particular toy store rather expensive and haven't carried quite the variety you'd expect in that type of store.

I'm glad you got an apology. I just hope he doesn't make comments like that again to you or anyone else. That's just rude.

Comment

Working...
                              X