This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why I stick with table-top.
    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

mine is Ancient Anguish
      It does crash sometimes but not often. And they reboot every 2-3 days, but if you type in "time" it tells you when the next reboot is suppose to happen. Downtime for regular reboots is about 5 minutes... the only bad thing is that no physical items are saved... Your coin in the bank is untouched, and your stats stay the same, but not your items. (Although one guild I think has a storage area that stays intact through reboots, but I'm not sure.)

but for those big-name MMORPHGSWHSWHATEVERS....
      I don't know if WoW has an official chat room but I've seen games that do. Nothing sadder than seeing people sit in chat yelling at the staff, offering to give them "personal visits" to "straighten them out".

One guy I saw in chat after the fact... He (X) started telling another chatter to stop making threats. Apparently X had said something about visiting the main offices with a shotgun... and they took him seriously.

X: I had my court hearing *yesterday*. I'm lucky they let me keep my account.

I'm betting the WoW crowd gets just as crazy?
      Last edited by PepperElf; 12-25-2008, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
        This is why I stick with table-top.
        Table is down. Please contact your local Carpenter and try again...
        Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth Skeksin View Post
          Okay, whose got the phone book? *sticks it under the table leg that's short* Much better.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth wraiths_crono View Post
            Funny part, I still play the first online RPG I ever heard of: Nightmist

those were the days lol, I dont remember them ever having server down time tho....
            I still play StarMUD
            I only started in '03 or so, but it started in '95.
            "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

EVE Online goes down for an hour every day, for regular maintenance. Players frequently talk of 23/7 instead of 24/7. It does have the side benefit of getting compulsive gamers to do something else (such as sleep?) before they get ill. It's a single-world system, so everyone is in the same boat.

Of course, they have to extend the downtime on occasion - typically for major patches or expansions, or when something unforeseen goes wrong. Once or twice they've even had to bring the system down without notice in order to take care of cheaters. Of course the forums usually spawn a "threadnaught" or three when that happens.

Comment

if not the phone book...

then a free server transfer to the floor. just don't kick the snacks into the game.

come to think of it... my old group (the off-key centers) ... i don't recall us ever using a table... unless it was grilled-steak night)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  it was the same for EQ too.

only RPG i play now is Ancient Anguish but it's lot less than 100 people on it at any given time. not a lot of people want to play a text-based online game.
                  Still is for EQ, to the point the regulars predict the standard post threads.

SOE has gotten a bit better about notifiying people if it's going to take logner and stuff,but we still get the complaints about interrupted raid time/ "I had today off why are you patching" etc...

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                    EVE Online goes down for an hour every day, for regular maintenance. Players frequently talk of 23/7 instead of 24/7. It does have the side benefit of getting compulsive gamers to do something else (such as sleep?) before they get ill. It's a single-world system, so everyone is in the same boat.

Of course, they have to extend the downtime on occasion - typically for major patches or expansions, or when something unforeseen goes wrong. Once or twice they've even had to bring the system down without notice in order to take care of cheaters. Of course the forums usually spawn a "threadnaught" or three when that happens.

Oh? A fellow Eve Onliner? Right on!

I was going to say something about this until I saw your post..

The WoW addicts really need to stop whining if they saw what Eve does every day.. around 5-6am CST (sometimes longer if a new patch is released!) there's the daily downtime.

WoW goes down for one day out of 1-3 months for 8 hours vs. Eve's every day at 1+ hours? Oh, forgot to mention.. Eve's expansion packs/patches? Free!

To the WoW addicts, I quote Arnold Schwarzenagger -- "Stop whining!"

\ Sorry for the semi-threadjack.
                    \\ Has 3 Eve Accounts, 1 WoW account and is getting a kick out of these replies.
                    \\\ Fark style post edit FTW!
                    \\\\ Slashy mc-slashy slash
                    Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

"I had today off why are you patching" etc...
                      which is funny cos... they can't accommodate EVERYONE'S day off... or they'd never get to patch ever. but if anyone ever said that, then you were being evil and "probably working for them anyway" cos no player could ever have common sense about those things, right? heh.

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
                        Oh? A fellow Eve Onliner? Right on!
                        I beleive the correct term is "capsuleer".

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                          I beleive the correct term is "capsuleer".
                          I stand corrected.

Do you mine roids?
                          Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

My eldest daughter and her friends play WOW and she was telling me about everyone's constant whining on the various Guild message boards when the outage occurred. People were freaking out because they had been playing long hours trying to accumulate gold in the game before the new expansion happens. We laughed and pointed at the geeks.
                            "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

I stand corrected.

Do you mine roids?
                              Occasionally. I can fly a Retriever effectively, but I also keep a Procurer around for small jobs. My alt has a hauler speciality.

You're more likely to find me in my über-passive-shield-tanked Ishtar, though. That thing can absorb an amazing amount of punishment, and is effectively immune to Nosferati and neuts. That saved it when I misjudged something and got jumped by the faction Navy.

Comment

WoW goes down for one day out of 1-3 months for 8 hours vs. Eve's every day at 1+ hours?

Actually, it's roughly 6-8 hours once a week, if not longer, so it comes out to about the same amount of time (not including the major, not regularly scheduled downtimes).

Not arguing about "stop *whining* already!" - just sayin'.

Comment

Working...
                                X