This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth blas87 View Post
    I just don't answer when it's a number I don't know. And I'm glad I don't. Telemarketers have cell phone numbers now, too.

Back in October/November, usually two or three weekdays a week, I would get a call from a strange number between 9 and 10 am. I did not recognize the area code or anything.

So after a few weeks, I looked it up. It's a telemarketing company in CALIFORNIA. I dug a little deeper. I found a site where people file complaints against companies and such. Googling just the phone number brought me to that site....and it turns out, MANY of the complaints were from AT&T customers in Wisconsin, wanting to know why a company in California is calling them and trying to sell them insurance/car parts/etc etc. All kinds of things.

So glad I never answered. I wish they never would have gotten cell phone numbers. I thought I was safe.
    It's a scam. They were calling Florida as well. I got a few of those calls before I put myself on the DO NOT CALL registry and filed a complaint with the FCC.
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Mike Taylor View Post
      It's a scam. They were calling Florida as well. I got a few of those calls before I put myself on the DO NOT CALL registry and filed a complaint with the FCC.
      There are a lot of those kinds of scams going around now. There is another one with an automated message that says your cars warranty is about to expire, course I bought my car used and it was waaaay past the warranty when I was getting this call, another girl I worked with who had just bought her car brand new was getting this call too, she is a little more naive and when she talked to a representative the first thing they asked was her name & the make & model of her car, when she told them she already knew her warranty terms he hung up on her. Unfortunately because in this case it's a scam the DNC list does almost nothing, and trying to get any information to fork over to the FCC is tough.

Comment

I don't understand -- I thought the rule was, never give your real phone number to people you don't want calling you.

If someone insists on getting my number, like a credit card company, I give an old number that hasn't been my real number for over ten years.

If I have to call my credit card company, I always do it from a pay phone. So they can't capture the number and associate it with me. (Their systems will tell that it's a pay phone.)

Comment

Quoth Millahtyme1983 View Post
          There are a lot of those kinds of scams going around now. There is another one with an automated message that says your cars warranty is about to expire, course I bought my car used and it was waaaay past the warranty when I was getting this call
          My fiance was getting calls like this too. She does not own a car, and cannot obtain a license due to a history of epilepsy.

I've had telemarketers hang up on me when I ask them the name of the company they work for, so I can report them for violating the DNC list.

I've also came across the contest entries that require you to give them permission to call you. I tore one up in front of not only the guy manning the booth, but a dozen other people, stating that the chance to win wasn't worth the phone calls.

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post
            I don't understand -- I thought the rule was, never give your real phone number to people you don't want calling you.
            I don't, if I can help it. Back when I still dialup service and a second line just for that, I'd give out that number. Once I no longer had it, then I'd just politely refuse to give it. And if they still insist, I just give them the number for the voicemail system at my job.

Unfortunately, sometimes they truly do need a number, like if they're delivering something and need to call you if they get lost. Or if you place a special order and they need to call you when it comes in. And some of these companies can not be trusted not to sell your number or telemarket to you.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post

If someone insists on getting my number, like a credit card company, I give an old number that hasn't been my real number for over ten years.
              I'm sorry, but that's kind of rude. What about the people that have that number now?

You'd be better off giving the number from the "Rejection Hotline". http://www.rejectionhotline.com/default.asp

At least then you're not causing grief to people who just happen to have your old number.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                I'm sorry, but that's kind of rude. What about the people that have that number now?
                That's why I use the numbers that I mentioned. The second line, when I still had it? It was mine, but didn't have a phone attached to it, just a computer. They'd never reach a person. They'd either get a busy if I was online, or a no-answer if I wasn't. Once I gave up the second line, I stopped giving out that number.

The number for the voicemail system at my job? They won't get a person that way either, just an automated message telling them, "To access your mailbox, please press # now."

And yeah, the Rejection Hotline would be good as well, although someone did once suggest finding the number of another telemarketing company and giving that out.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Kinda off topic...

During the election "season" we kept getting calls from the DNC.

I got tired of it, so one day, I answered when they called, shouted "Republicans ONLY!!!" and hung up.

No more calls from the DNC.

I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

This thread reminds me of odd messages which I've been getting on my answering machine lately, and because the caller leaves a name which I do not recognize, doesn't say what they're calling in reference to, or they don't mention who the call is for, I have no way of knowing whether it's a telemarketer, bill collector (I do have two credit cards in collections, but have been making regular payments), or if it's a scam. (and no, I don't have caller ID, dont use my home phone enough to make that worth paying for)

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post

At least then you're not causing grief to people who just happen to have your old number.
                      Stop worrying. It's an old business number that's now out of service.

I generally know if a company needs to call me. Most companies I do business with never ever need to call. That includes credit card companies, brokerage houses, banks, and all the rest. If we need to talk by phone, it's because I initiated the call. And then i do it from a pay phone. Any serious business we do is done in writing with snail mail.

If there's no need for me to get a call from them, I don't give them a real number. They want my number to build a database that's going to be used to spam me with marketing calls. I'm not playing along.

Comment

I have the answer to all of your problems,

when you have to sign up for anything use 867 5309
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post

What number is that?

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                            What number is that?
                            *blink* *blinkblink*

I'm going to assume you're joking and that's dripping with sarcasm. Cause if you really don't know........................I feel old.
                            I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post

Jenny? So this is where you've been?!
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post

I have that stuck in my head now.

I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                                X