Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supermarket butcher that doesn't get it...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supermarket butcher that doesn't get it...

Ok, my thread from last night where I complained about a sucky employee, reminded me of this.

This happened about 7 years ago, to my dad (I was with him, but I stayed out of it).

So we go to the store to get some steaks (yum!) What we were looking for is one 18oz Steaks (for my dad), and two 16oz steaks (for me and my mom).
    (Note: They cook down to 16oz and 14oz steaks lol)

Well, we found the 18oz steak fine, but we couldn't find any 16oz'ers.

What we did find was a HUGE slab, (it was like 40oz of beef... BIG chunk of meat).

So my dad grabs it and rings the little bell to get the butcher's attention, guy comes out, and my dad ask nicely (and very specifically).

(Emphasis is mine)
    Dad: "Hi, could I get 32oz off this please? Either as one big chunk, or as two 16oz pieces, whichever is easier.

See that there? My dad told the guy EXACTLY how he needed it cut, and seeing as this guys job is to, cut meat, this shouldn't be a difficult task should it?
    (hell, I could do it... just give me the knife )

Of course he gets it wrong. He goes in the back, cuts the meat, and comes back with... a 22oz steak and a 10oz steak...

Dad: "Um that's not what I asked for."
    Butcher: "It's 32oz."
    Dad: "Yeah, but I asked for it as one chunk, or as two 16oz pieces... now, how am I suppose to make THAT into two 16oz steaks?"

At this point my dad handed back the other steak that he had picked up, and we went to another store, the butcher was just left there dumbfounded... I still don't think he understood how he had screwed up.
    <Insert clever signature here>

Probably cut a random sized bit off first and weighed it and went "Oh, 22oz, I need another 10oz for this customer cos he wanted 32".

Wow. Um, does your family know a "serving" of steak is 3oz? That's some mega steaks you have going on there.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
      Wow. Um, does your family know a "serving" of steak is 3oz? That's some mega steaks you have going on there.
      Those are normal steaks in my family. YMMV, though.

Also, 3 oz. of steak? That's TINY.
      Last edited by Ree; 12-31-2008, 01:16 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote
      Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
        Nobody ever eats a "serving", and if they do, they're either lucky or have OCD.
        "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Quoth Arcade Man D View Post
          Also, 3 oz. of steak? That's TINY.
          Hell the only restaurant I know of that serves a 3oz steak is a Hibachi Grill.

Kobe' Beef Steak: $9 an OUNCE, 2oz minimum.**
          (Yes, $18 for a 2oz Steak)

Everywhere else is 8oz, 10oz, 12oz, 14oz, and 16oz. Depending on the cut of beef. (Fillet tends to be 8oz, while Prime Rib can be 16oz+)

** The two ounces of steak is about an inch wide, and 3 inches long.
          Oh, and yes, it's DELICIOUS.
          Last edited by Lingering Grin; 12-31-2008, 12:19 AM.
          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

I regularly eat "family sized" lasagnas, and recently made a sweet-and-sour recipe for *four* persons that fit neatly on a plate, and ate it all at once.

One serving seems to be designed for people who eat three "full" meals a day with dessert. I'm too lazy for that - I eat one big meal per day, and "dessert" at the other end of the day. Whenever I eat a one-serving "meal", I end up hungry again straight afterwards.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
              Hell the only restaurant I know of that serves a 3oz steak is a Hibachi Grill.
              Yes, but restaurants are notorious for giving WAY too much food. There's a reason there's an obesity problem in the U.S. -- we have been "trained" to eat much MUCH more food than we really need.

But yeah, that first butcher? Very stupid of him. I don't see how he couldn't figure out what he did wrong! It's really not that hard!!
              I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                Probably cut a random sized bit off first and weighed it and went "Oh, 22oz, I need another 10oz for this customer cos he wanted 32".
                That's what I was thinking. He probably screwed up and cut too big or too small of a piece in the first swipe, and tried to pass it off as what he asked for.

Comment

Quoth Gawdzillers View Post
                  Nobody ever eats a "serving", and if they do, they're either lucky or have OCD.
                  I can still remember when a 12-oz can of soda supposedly contained 2 servings.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Reminds me of my Dad's friend. He was a butcher, but quit to make duck decoys full time (yes seriously). One day shopping he ran into a former customer.

The customer told him she wanted a 16 Oz Roast and asked for one to be cut. The new butcher went in the back and put a 13 oz and a 3 oz piece in the bag.

Which of course had she cooked it, the small piece would have ended up as nothing, and then she wouldn't have had enough meat to serve.

Butcher didn't see what the problem was. But my Dad's friend certainly did.

Comment

My 24oz soda lists its serving size as 8oz, 3 servings to the bottle. I don't know anyone who drinks one in three seperate goes. Serving size is often broken up to make the nutrition numbers look better, not to reflect what people actually consume.

Aside: A 3oz steak? The Porterhouse I grilled up as part of the last grillout of the season laughs at your puny meat.

Tasty too! Yum!
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        My 24oz soda lists its serving size as 8oz, 3 servings to the bottle.
                        Hi, my name is Persephone and I cannot and will not drink a full soda in one sitting. A can of cola is actually two "drinks" for me. A 20 oz is about three or four.

Maybe I've just trained myself to smaller servings in dealing with child sized meals for Daughter and Son.
                        I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                          I remember that, too.

Does that mean we're getting old?
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                            Not to be a pain or anything but I am given to understand that this was changed when people started "getting smart" about getting healthy and the 2 serving info was misleading because *most* people drink an entire can at one time...

Did that explanation make sense?
                            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                              Not to be a pain or anything but I am given to understand that this was changed when people started "getting smart" about getting healthy and the 2 serving info was misleading because *most* people drink an entire can at one time...

Did that explanation make sense?
                              Perfectly. And I wasn't trying to say otherwise, just that at one time they did label it as containing two servings.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X