Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supermarket butcher that doesn't get it...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I go quite by servings either, but 5-6oz would be more than plenty. When you get into double figures, IMHO, that's ... unnecessary.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
      I don't think I go quite by servings either, but 5-6oz would be more than plenty. When you get into double figures, IMHO, that's ... unnecessary.
      6oz of steak is TINY though.

The average fillet is 8oz, and THOSE are small ass steaks.

Unless you serve like 5 sides with it, 8oz ain't gonna be enough, and 5 or 6 oz would be a joke

EDIT:

Here we go:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/3...5facde.jpg?v=0

That's a 6oz steak... it's freaking tiny
      Last edited by Lingering Grin; 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM.
      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

K and I had a sirloin steak last night

because I eat so little meat we got a 9 oz steak and split it 30/70

K would have been hungry if he had less than what he did (although he was satisfied with the amount he had), but hes 200lbs and only 15% body fat so he needs to eat a lot of protien.

it is annoying when you ask for something speifically and people ignore it and do whatever the heck they want!
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Did you weigh that after cooking or something? That IS tiny!

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
            Did you weigh that after cooking or something? That IS tiny!
            How big do you expect a 6oz steak to be?

lol

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
              How big do you expect a 6oz steak to be?
              Looks perfect to me. Actually, I'm not sure I'd be able to eat the whole thing.

The thing with serving sizes is that you aren't expected to get most of the nutrients you need from meat. They expect you to eat more veggies and sides than the meat part.

Also, most people would be shocked by the amount of calories and food they *need*. Most of this country have been "trained" (by restaurants and movies, ect) to think that they need to eat a lot more than they really need. They see the food on their plate, assume they should finish it and ignore their body when it starts screaming "I'm done! I'm done!".
              Last edited by Broomjockey; 01-22-2009, 03:57 PM. Reason: removed fratching-able comment
              I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

Quoth persephone View Post
                Looks perfect to me. Actually, I'm not sure I'd be able to eat the whole thing.

The thing with serving sizes is that you aren't expected to get most of the nutrients you need from meat. They expect you to eat more veggies and sides than the meat part.

Also, most people would be shocked by the amount of calories and food they *need*. Most of this country have been "trained" (by restaurants and movies, ect) to think that they need to eat a lot more than they really need. They see the food on their plate, assume they should finish it and ignore their body when it starts screaming "I'm done! I'm done!".
                I listen to my body when it gets full, if I can finish something at a restaurant, I take it home.

I eat, when I get full, I stop, but I can still plow through a full rack of ribs before I get there. A 6oz steak and some rice isn't gonna fill me up....well it might, but I'll be hungry within an hour or two (Rice isn't that filling).

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                  I listen to my body when it gets full, if I can finish something at a restaurant, I take it home.

I eat, when I get full, I stop, but I can still plow through a full rack of ribs before I get there. A 6oz steak and some rice isn't gonna fill me up....well it might, but I'll be hungry within an hour or two (Rice isn't that filling).
                  I didn't say you specifically, I just said lots of people. I'll stop there, though, before I get into fratching-able comments again -- SORRY BROOMJOCKEY!!!!
                  I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

I've heard of a serving-size for meat that actually makes sense to me, because it varies depending on the person's own body.

For a person of 'normal' lifestyle: neither especially sedentary nor especially active, the appropriate amount of steak (or fish, or poultry) is one the same size as the palm of your hand. (If it has bones in it, have a larger portion to allow for the bones.)

Someone like a builder's labourer, doing highly physical work all day every day, needs significantly more. Someone whose job is entirely sitting-down and being basically still, who doesn't also get exercise, needs significantly less.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                    X