This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery store SC

OK, so maybe not an SC depending on how you look at it, but the cashier and I (I was in line behind her) didn't appreciate this at all. This happened last week.

It was mid-afternoon and I managed to find a lane where someone was finishing out their order, cashier and customer were making friendly suburbanite-like small talk and both women are in their 50s. When it came time to pay, the customer pulls out her Visa bank card from a local credit union for hospital employees (I recognized the card because I have an account at the same credit union) and does the transaction as credit. This doesn't work, she tries again, no dice, she then asks where the ATM is, I'm a bit irked at this point as there is a line forming and she is moving with no urgency whatsoever. ATM is about 25 yards away and around a corner, but it can be seen if you walk to the edge of the check stand.
    As soon as customer walks away the cashier apologizes and I politely smirked and told her she had no reason to apologize, 5 minutes go by and the rest of the customers have gone on to other lines, I didn't have much and it's my day off, so I stick around to see how this plays out. We get curious and walk to the bagging area to see where she went, she's not at the ATM or anywhere else we can see.
    Cashier is pissed, calls a manager to void the transaction, and vents to me a bit about how inconsiderate that was to just walk off like that. I contested that she was probably embarrassed, but that she still should have said something to let her know she was leaving. She thanked me for my patience and explained what happened to the manager who voided the transaction and took SCs items, which included cookies and air freshener, nothing essential.
    I've had this happen before and yes, it's embarrassing and is a bad time to find out you have less money than you thought, sometimes alot less, but I usually tell the cashier something along the lines of "I'm sorry, it looks like I need to straighten this out with my bank."
    "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Or the old "i have the money in my car." Just put it in backshop, they never come back.

Comment

I am very lucky in that when my customers say they left their wallet in the car, they come back within two minutes.

And the supervisors can always suspend or cancel the transaction, as needed.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
        Or the old "i have the money in my car." Just put it in backshop, they never come back.
        Bah, they never do.

Or, you wait, void the transaction, then they come in two seconds after the fact.

I make them wait.

Comment

This is why I like working at an amusement park. I can void things out on my own unless I've already put the payment through. So if they have to "get money from the car", I can cancel it out and go to the next customer with no problems.
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I have, once or twice, forgotten to take my wallet with me to the supermarket. (Not recently - this was when I lived a whole mile away from my preferred store.)

Of course I was in line before I realised this much. But on explaining it to the cashier, they were able to stick my trolley-full of stuff in a dark corner and wait for me to cycle home and back. They even offered to switch out the frozen food, which I declined because it truly doesn't take very long to get it all home and into the freezer.

Comment

I vote for definitely an SC, as that's a fucking rude thing to do.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                I had a guy come back yesterday saying that, so they do sometimes. but don't hold your breath, "I'll go call them" after their card is denied is another one, if they go out of eyesight they dont have money or it's stolen most likely

if they're coming back it'll be less than 10 minutes

Comment

still, something the cashier pointed out while we were waiting for her is that if the transaction is being declined at the register, then what makes them think an ATM is going to approve it? apparently this happens frequently and alot of people get cash from the ATM with the same card.

Oddly enough, this happened to me this morning at the same store on the way home from work; bank card was declined, but I magically turned some of my bar money into grocery money (my weekend started at 7:30 and I don't get paid til thursday )
                  "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

"I'll be right back"

I must have done something right- yesterday, out of 4 people who told me "oops, I left my wallet, I'll be right back"- THREE of them actually came back and paid for the stuff!

<cheer>

Comment

At the ATM, the customer is likely to get more information about *why* it isn't working than the card handler will give the retailer. Generally the bank will only tell the retailer "we can't do this", and occasionally "retain the card" and/or "call us".

Comment

geesh -- hope it wasn't my store! ;-)
                        ANNIE

Every day I work with you is two days of therapy!!!!!

Comment

it was the super saver on 144th, either way I wouldn't hold it against you

Comment

Plaidman can void or refund all!

MWA HA HA!

Plus I can do up to three different transcations at once.

Well thats the registar limit. I can do more.
                            Military Spouse Support.
                            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

WOOHOO!!!! Not my store!!!!
                              ANNIE

Every day I work with you is two days of therapy!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X