This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mostly amusing, but I thought was a little odd, too

My wife and I went out to our local Fuddrucker's for dinner last night. It was moderately busy, but there were still plenty of empty tables scattered here and there. We chose a table near one of the corner booths, and went about enjoying our dinner in peace.

There was a family of three sitting in the corner booth, and the only reason I noticed them at all was that their son was clowning around with a nearby motorcycle arcade game while they waited for their food. My wife and I found his antics amusing, so we were laughing to ourselves as we talked and waited for our own food.

When our food was ready, they faded to the background while we ate. In the meantime, an older couple had come in and sat at a nearby table to also fade into the background.

The family of three again caught my attention briefly when the kid returned to play at the motorcycle game. His parents were fussing at him to finish his dinner first. That's when I noticed for some reason that the old man at the other table was staring very intently at them. The woman had disappeared somewhere out of sight, presumably to the restroom or to the counter. It was one of those moments at which I just noticed it, but really didn't care. A couple more minutes passed, and the family of three decided to leave. They barely got a couple of steps away from the table when the old man proceeded to move their dirty dishes to a nearby empty table. The old lady returned with two beers in hand, and proceeded to help the old man finish clearing the family's dirty dishes from the corner booth. They then staked their claim to that corner booth.

My wife read that look of puzzlement on my face, and looked at me questioningly. I leaned over to her, in a hushed tone, "That was odd...." I told her what I witnessed, and how it just struck me strangely that the old couple was so quick to take over the corner booth before the family got more than a few steps away. I guess it only registered because I would have much preferred to claim a clean table since there were plenty of empty tables available. It also seemed somewhat rude, in my opinion, since that was likely why the old man was practically staring them down from the table he first claimed before they left. Like I said, it was of no consequence to me, it was just something strange I noticed as a casual observer of human behavior in public.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Ahh..the restaurant ninja.

I only let my inner ninja out when the place is packed and no where to sit. I wouldve just taken a regular table.

Comment

My father has confessed to snacking from people's plates after they leave. You know, to "sample" the fries/wings/etc. Your post is positively tame.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'm not familiar with the term "restaurant ninja."

As for snacking off other people's plates when they leave, sorry, but that's just disgusting. Then again, I'm very picky about my food. It's very rare that I leave anything worth sampling behind when I'm done. I take the best of the leftovers home for another munching later. Anything that's left was probably not agreeable to me, you know, like finding a hair in a milkshake one time.
        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I sometimes lick my plate if it was a particularly satisfying meal so snacking from my plate wouldn't be all that good of an idea. The average human mouth (even clean) being a playground of bacteria and all.
          Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Oh I was indeed very also and a nice dose of eeeewwww. Not much I can say though, he's my dad.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
            X