This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They did what?!!

This happened awhile ago when I was working 3rd shift on a busy weekend I remember the conversasion pretty well because it shocked me so much:

Lady:L
    sucky red roof employee:SRE

L: Do you except pets?

Me: Yes we do.

L: Oh thank god I thought we would have to sleep in the car. My husband is blind and he has a seeing eye dog.

Me: Well that will not be a problem at all.

L: We had a reservation at the Red Roof but they wouldn't let us check in because of the seeing eye dog.

Me: They can not do that that dog is allowed to go where ever your husband goes.

L: I know but we are not the type to make waves or sue or anything.

Me: Well I would.

I check them in and send them on their way but I called Red Roof hoping that her story was not true.

Me: Hey this is Hellzar from Nights Out

SRE: Hey.

Me: Did you not let a women check in because her husband has a seeing eye dog?

SRE: Yea we do not allow dogs, and that stupid old bitch tried to tell me that their dog was some kind of service dog not a pet but I told her

Me: Wow, you are so lucky that she does not want to sue you.

SRE: For what not taking a dog. WE. DO NOT. EXCEPT. PET

Me: You just refused some one a room because they were blind and needed a service dog. You discriminated against an elderly blind man.

SRE: No....but.....oh shit <click>

I just could not believe that that happened

Wow! That is crazy and the Red Roof people are extremely lucky they didn't complain or sue about it. Hopefully they learned their lesson, and won't make THAT mistake with future customers.

Comment

Red Roof better get educated fast ... it's not their decision, it's Federal law!

Comment

if i was the lady....ill sue "red roof" in a heartbeat for discrimination and have the company go under in a heart beat....NO questions asked!! time to hire an attorny !!

Comment

Quoth Hellzar View Post
          L: I know but we are not the type to make waves or sue or anything.
          I'm in the very strange position wherein I actually want her to be a little bit of an SC... I think I'd better fix myself a little Martini.
          "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Quoth MannersMakethMan View Post
            I'm in the very strange position wherein I actually want her to be a little bit of an SC... I think I'd better fix myself a little Martini.
            But see, as long as you do it correctly, her suing the establishment or at least pointing out the law to them would NOT be being an SC. How many other people have they done this to? It's not like she's trying to get them to take a pet -- it's a SEEING EYE DOG that her husband needs! They are incredibly well trained specifically to be able to function in society and it's federal law that they be accomodated. I don't think ANYONE would think her suing the hotel to reimburse her any rate difference, gas fees or any charges she incurred would be an SC. Asking for millions of dollars, maybe. But then again, who knows!
            I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

As I've mentioned before, my family stayed in a Red Roof Inn in Kansas City during a summer vacation. It was infested with roaches.

If the last hotel left on Earth was a Red Roof Inn, I'd sleep outside.

Quoth MannersMakethMan
              I'm in the very strange position wherein I actually want her to be a little bit of an SC
              To me, it isn't sucky to sue for something you are entitled to under Federal law. I would just wonder what damages would be.
              Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 01-10-2009, 08:58 PM.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

She should probably not start out with asking "Do you accept pets?"...it's not a pet. She should simply inform them that they will be accompanied by a seeing eye dog.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  She should probably not start out with asking "Do you accept pets?"...it's not a pet. She should simply inform them that they will be accompanied by a seeing eye dog.
                  I've met several people with service animals and they consider their animals to not only be work animals but pets. Hey, you grow an attachment to that service animal. And it's so much easier to say "Do you accept pets" rather then "Do you allow service animals?"

What the RRE (red roof employee) should have said was "We only accept service animals" since, they do only accept service animals.

(Pst... Hellzar.... it's "accept" not "except" )
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

(Pst... Hellzar.... it's "accept" not "except" )
                    Yes yes, I know I am the worst
                    Last edited by Broomjockey; 01-18-2009, 07:22 PM. Reason: fixing quote tag

Comment

You know, it probably really was a seeing eye dog, because if it really wasn't, she would have also been the type to make waves, if that makes sense.

I saw this woman once claim that her obvious "pet" was a service dog.

It was chihuahua. If I am lying, I am dying. It was one of those "accessory" decorative type pets.

She had it at an SCA event, which are frequently restricted to "no animals except service animals." She was in a motorized chair and carried the thing around, telling everyone that it was "service" dog over and over. How she got the thing past the gate is beyond me.

I just walked away.

So the motel may have been burned a few times. However, in the OP's story, I dont' think that's the case. I think the guy's dog really was a service dog.

Comment

"WE. DO NOT. EXCEPT. PET"
                        It was infested with roaches.
                        at the ironcy

Comment

There are also other types of service dogs. Some are detect if someone is going to have an Epileptic seizure. (I miss my dog)
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I read an article where someone had a small lap dog type dog for anxiety.

If I was able to get a service dog for my daughter, it'd have to be a larger one (they don't train small dogs to be Autism service dogs).

Comment

There's a lady who catches my bus on a regular basis and has a service dog-for hearing. Most service dogs with the exception of seeing-eye dogs are usually required to be identified as such in some way i.e. blanket, card etc.
                              And I don't know if this is breed specific or not, but from what I've seen, most guide dogs are labradors, the hearing dog I've seen is a little poodle (it has a blanket identifying itself as a Lions club dog) and any stories of seizure dogs usually involve labradors.

EDIT: By the way, people, please remember I'm Australian, not from the US, so laws are a little different. All I know is that usually people are required to carry documentation.
                              Last edited by fireheart; 01-14-2009, 02:06 AM.
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                              X