Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, Federal law recognizes service pets for people with anxiety disorders too. My gf has a chihuahua service animal to ease her anxiety disorder, and has documentation for him too.
    DJ Particle

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      And it's so much easier to say "Do you accept pets" rather then "Do you allow service animals?"
      you don't have to ask if it's ok to use a service animal.

also it is illegal in the US to demand any sort of proof or make a judgement on an animal really being a service animal.

OTOH any animal, service animal or not, which is disruptive may be prohibited.
      DILLIGAF

Comment

Quoth Lehk View Post
        also it is illegal in the US to demand any sort of proof or make a judgement on an animal really being a service animal.
        I'm sorry, but you're incorrect. If you have a service animal and take it into a hotel or restaurant, you have to have documentation. These papers are to insure the safety of the animal and will, in some cases, keep you from getting ticketed and fined. In many instances, you are not required to have documentation but it is always a good idea to have it.

I checked with my General Manager about this case just yesterday (at our monthly front desk Staff Meeting). Since the documents you need for Proof of Service are the same papers you have to update yearly, people with Disabilities generally carry this documentation in their wallets. It's similar to having an ID card.

Quoth U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division Disability Rights Section

Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.
        While it's generally not required, many institutions do require it. It is not illegal to ask for proof. There is a difference between State and Federal certification.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

they also have service monkeys

one of the gals at my old church... her best friend had one (can't remember if the woman was a paraplegic or quadriplegic but the monkey would assist her in picking up stuff, etc.

Comment

I'm going to have to disagree with you EQ. I'm going to assume you are form the US. There is no Federal program for certification of a service animal. If you get your dog from an organisation like Guide Dogs then you will have their certification. People can and do train their own service animals to fit their particular needs, and they are still service animals as far as legalities are concerned. Any busniess refusing that self trained service animal can be sued for discrimination, and win.
            (Remeber I have a blind friend who trained her first guide dog and sued when her apartment complex kicked her out for having it. I learned all kinds of things about service animal laws.)

Comment

I had no idea a chihuahua or any other kind of lap dog might actually really be a service dog. Didn't know they had dogs for anxiety.

Interesting. The stuff you learn hanging out on forums.

Comment

hmmm ...
                leads to all other interesting ideas of service animals

service tiger!

Comment

These dogs have proudly served in the US Army! You have to let them in.

And actually the services do, or at least did, use dogs in war for a variety of reasons.
                  Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.
                    Interesting enough of a conversation that I actually googled it...

http://www.njcounciloftheblind.org/l...de_dog_law.htm

while the webpage is a state of NJ page, it is of the US ADA laws.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      I had no idea a chihuahua or any other kind of lap dog might actually really be a service dog. Didn't know they had dogs for anxiety.

Interesting. The stuff you learn hanging out on forums.
                      Yup! I was watching Animal Planet recently and a girl's little Chihuahua would flip out every time she was contaminated with Gluten (she suffers from something that starts with a C....can't digest gluten but I can't remember what it was called) so she'd know right before she started having her reaction and would have the time to get to a hospital.

I'm gonna see if I can train my pup to respond to my glucose levels (my ketones are out of whack again).
                      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Sounds like Coeliac disease. Something to do with the digestive tract not working properly, I think.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                          Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.
                          If I'm reading this right, when a customer says "It's THE LAW that you have to take my word about poochiekins being a service animal", it's true?

Looks like that section of the law was tailor-made for sucky customers.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                          X