Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The rules are posted telepathically! (A bit long and ranty)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rules are posted telepathically! (A bit long and ranty)

So I found one of those little internet cafes. On the surface, seems like a nice place. You can go in, get a cup of joe, and sit back at one of the many computers they have there.

However, what I didn't know was that they had a 20 minute time limit to your computer time.

This is not posted anywhere.

Nobody tells you this when you purchase your drinks or get on the computer.

In fact, there's NOTHING ANYWHERE that tells you there's a time limit. As far as anyone can tell, you can be there all day if you felt like it.

So I go in there, and a guy had just sat down at one of the computers. I got a cup of coffee and sat down at another one. I was on there for about half an hour when one of the cafe's managers came up to both of us (we weren't that far apart), and told us to get off the computers; there's a time limit, and we're hogging up the computers for other patrons. (Note that all the other computers were open.)

The guy on the other computer beat me to the question: How were we supposed to know there was a time limit, if they didn't tell us? We were told that the regulars know the rules, had we been regulars, we would've known about the limit. (WTF kind of logic is that? ) Guy tells the manager that he would've gotten off earlier had someone told him that rule, which I agreed with him on, and the manager told us that they can't tell us that rule "for security purposes". (Again: )

At this point, I'm logging off to leave...The staff is staring at us with that "I'm better than you and I have power over you" smirk that I usually see in customers. I'm humiliated and pissed off...A combination which, if I opened my mouth again, would've resulted in multiple F-bombs being dropped. The guy made a few more arguments that they need to state the rules if they want to enforce them, gets nowhere, and started to leave, just ahead of me.

As we're leaving, I hear one of the staff members utter "What a couple of dumbasses!", followed by several other employees giggling. It was all I could do to not turn around and drop the afore-mentioned F-bombs.

I can't help but wonder if they treat all of their guests like that, or just the ones that aren't the so-called "regulars". I never did see any of them, actually, unless you count the two people with laptops, who had been there long before us, and were still there as we left. Apparently, you can only be a regular and know the rules about the public computers if you have your own to use.

They'll get theirs, though. If they do treat everyone that way, they'll lose business fast, especially through word-of-mouth. Karma can be a bitch.
    "Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding."
    -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

Well, all the other computers were open. Now you know why.

Comment

Security reasons? What? The owner/people think it takes 21 minutes to hack a computer or something?

And what's really surprising is.... if they can't tell you the rule for security purposes, but then he just told you the rule, should he be fired for violating the security rules?

Comment

I agree, there was a reason all the computers were empty

I wouldnt go there again, ever. Voting with your feet is the best way to send a message.
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

They don't seem to want to stay in business. Almost sounds like a front.

Comment

Ah, so this particular cafe/coffee shop/whatever is pretentious asshole owned, and pretentious asshole operated.

There's a place like that in town. Was there once with some friends. Have never returned. But then again I'm not the coffeeshop type to begin with. Unless it's Gloria Jeans.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

This should be sent to the Consumerist. I'd also send a written complaint to the owner of the shop. Consumerist usually has good tips on effective complaint letters.

Comment

Quoth Record Store Tough Guy View Post
                This should be sent to the Consumerist. I'd also send a written complaint to the owner of the shop. Consumerist usually has good tips on effective complaint letters.
                Not just the Consumerist, but if you have a local weekly paper, I'd send a letter to them, too. Word of mouth gets around.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This thread gets both a "Holy biscuit!!!" and a -a-thon reaction out of me.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglĂłid

Comment

I had a similar encounter with telepathic rules about 10 years ago at Best Buy. I was buying my first DVD player, and I decided to go to BB because they had a deal that said you would get 5 free DVDs with any (emphasis mine) DVD player purchased. I found a great deal on a floor model/display DVD playerand went to check out.

When I asked how to claim my 5 free DVDs, the cashier stated that that offer was not good on display models. I asked where that was written, and the cashier couldn't answer that question, but refused to budge.

I ended up escalating to a manager, and proceeded to get into a half hour argument about why I was not getting my free DVDs. I kept pointing out that nowhere in the store did it say the free DVDs were not included with display models, but all he kept saying was that that was their policy.

Finally, probably just to get rid of me, he said that I could get 3 free DVDs, and, since I was just about argued out, I accepted. I never did follow up with corporate, which I should have, but I had a feeling they would pull the same thing that the manager did.

Comment

Quoth hecubus View Post
                      When I asked how to claim my 5 free DVDs, the cashier stated that that offer was not good on display models. I asked where that was written, and the cashier couldn't answer that question, but refused to budge.
                      Having worked at WM in electronics I may have an explanation. We once had a similar sale and the five DVDs were factory packaged into the box with the player. What this meant was that the Display model was older and not from the sale shipment so it would not have had the DVDs with it.
                      If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

And how difficult would it have been for the manager to say that?
                        "Sorry, sir, but the DVD offer is a set list that's included with the DVD player, so is not available with display models'...
                        The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Or print up a sign and post it?
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

keep in mind... if they get their jollies from the "we're better than you" attitude it means a few things..

1 no one likes them
                            2 they will soon be out of business
                            3 it's ok to drop the f bomb on them.

Comment

What if they are a front? Maybe the coffee shop launders money for their software piracy operation, and the fewer customers they have poking around, the better.

Comment

Working...
                              X