This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SC-Watchers Guide - Gamer SCs

I've found that game stores have the most outraged or entitlement SCs.

I've never worked in one but I am an avid gamer.

Table of Gaming Leves for Referance
    • Casual - Buys few games, mostly college-type kids that buy sports/party games and maybe one or two big-name bestsellers
    • Moderate - Knows a bit about games, buys games that have gotten critcal acclaim or from a series/genre they like
    • Avid - Plays alot of games, gaming is biggest hobby, knows about many different genres/series, has life outside of games
    • Hardcore - Gaming is life, plays and owns many games and game systems, has extreme opinions about certain genres/series, social circle consists of other avid/hardcore gamers

I've been to many a GameStop, GameCrazy, and mom 'n pop game stores and seen /heard of quite a lot of suck.

First is the casual gamer SC, this would be the regular SC who will scream "FALSE ADVERTISING", entitle themselves, or just be regular <insert favorite swear>.

The moderate gamer SC encompasses the regular SC as well as some other sucks, mainly - the Know-it-all. The kind of person who will ask about a Mario game for the Sony PlayStation system (or similar). Most people know Mario is Nintendo's all-star, so when someone try's to correct him, he will rant about how he heard about it on a big gaming site and how he's right and will never be wrong.

Avid gamers SCs, Mostly know-it-all type, but also come in Fanboys. Fanboys are gamers who have a general liking of one series/genre/console over others. SC Fanboys will scoff at people looking or asking about games not to their liking, and will "correct" the innocent bystander with opinion-based truths.

Hardcore gamer SCs, Know-it-all Fanboys who want everyone to know their opinions, gamer-cred, and/or every aspect about their life. These people will b**** about certain games they don't like, tell you what games they like and how awesome they are and how good they are at them, and blather on and on and on and on about things you don't care about.

-------------------------------------

I hate to think that because of these type of people gamers are portrayed as antisocial, uneducated, and dangerous. I'm a fine productive member of society (with a hint of cynicism), but because I wear my red "Nintendo" beanie everywhere, people assume I'm some kind of loner just looking for the nearest GameStop. It irks me.

On the subject of GameStop, I've found a long (about an hour and a half) rant from a former employee of GameStop who brings many of the glaring problems of the company to light. This rant includes: poor management, annoying corporate, co-irkers, stupid policies, sucky costomers and more! But, it also includes a lot of swearing, ranty yelling, and insinuating people getting things shoved up their <part of the lower bowels/ nasal cavity>. So, I'm not sure if it's safe.

Anyways, I've got a couple SCs as a McSlave that I'll post soon. Until then, see ya's.
    Words to live by:

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    Never miss a good chance to shut up.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

GameStop was probably the worst job I have ever worked. The people were NASTY (during Wii season especially), cooperate was completely unreasonable, and just the entire way the shop worked was backwards. I worked there because it was a paycheck. I can't stand the operations of these types of gaming stores. I'd perfer a nice mom and pop place, or even shopping online.

I know the feeling though, I have a Nintendo hoody thats been well-loved and worn for atleast a year now. Everyone gives me that cave-dwelling loser look, and the icing on the cake, those two thing pushing my hoody out means I'm a girl. I get the cave-dwelling-god-she-must-be-so-fat-and-ugly look. It sucks being lumped in with the rest of the cave-dwellers. *hands a cookie shaped like a mario star*
    You seem to harbor barbaric tendencies. I suggest you visit a physician at your earliest convenience.

Comment

I was once going to apply to Gamestop, but decided that my sanity was worth more to me. Yes, I traded in a couple games before I got wise to things. Now I use Amazon to sell my gaming shtuff.

marcpork, would you mind PM'ing me with that rant link? I'm curious.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

It's a zero puncuation-esque rant from a former gamestop employee. It's called "zero-originality" (Warning: very NSFW language and dialogue). It will make you seriously never wanna walk into one nor work there ever. No disrespect to anyone who currently works at a gamestop and/or enjoys them.

Comment

Quoth Jackofalltrades View Post
          It's a zero puncuation-esque rant from a former gamestop employee. It's called "zero-originality" (Warning: very NSFW language and dialogue). It will make you seriously never wanna walk into one nor work there ever. No disrespect to anyone who currently works at a gamestop and/or enjoys them.
          Indeed. It's VERY telling when the manager of the store warns you away from working for the company, as it was in my case.
          "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I think the same delineations can be applied to any of the more geeky fandoms...had a friend once tell me that I had no idea what I was talking about while editing a comic he was writing for the simple fact that I don't read comics to the extent he or my boyfriend do. I figured being an avid reader of all kinds of literature would at least let me know a crap opening when I saw one...

But what's fun is watching two die hard Fanboys argue over some topic.
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

the gamestop by me seems to be run fariy well, but i dont hang out there enough to know the ins and outs.

the employees are always helpful. even when i stop by daily asking of they have a wii fit lol, man they musta had to answer that question like a hundred times a day.

Comment

Oh yes, that can be comedy gold. Used to overhear such at the game store all the time (one of the very few perks of working down in the Dungeon--I got to witness all kinds of stuff to break up the boredom).
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Jackofalltrades View Post
                  Ooo! Zero Punctuation-esque! Can I get a link, too? I've worked for the GameStop...
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I've got all the episodes bookmarked. I'll put it up in Sucky Customers, cause that's the main of the site and it deals with a lot more than just a$$hat customers.

EDIT: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?p=485860
                    There ya go.
                    Last edited by marcpork; 01-17-2009, 06:22 AM. Reason: Updating post
                    Words to live by:

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
                    Never miss a good chance to shut up.
                    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                    X