This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• actually a funny one!

Yay, I finally saw a funny sighting on UTA... and by funny I really do mean haha funny

background, UTA has switched (mostly) from paper passes to electronic passes (some twats still insist on using paper). These passes use a magnetic code where all you have to do is tap the card to the reader... well not long after the release some people realized the cards were strong enough you could leave them in your wallet and just tap your wallet.
    Well, this guy was showboating for some of his friends and decided to take it up a notch. He asked the driver if the he though that it would work staying in his pocket... the driver said he didn't think it would... so Mr. Showboat did a very dramatic butt bump up against the podium with the card scanner... and it actually worked
    yup, just by bumping his butt with the card in his wallet in his pocket made it work

I so need to try that one of these days
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

My dorm has card readers just like that. Most people (including myself) just leave our cards in our wallets to scam them. With some nice maneuvering, I sometimes even leave it in my pants or coat pocket.
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

my coat has a pocket at the correct height for our card reader at work, all i do it walk next to a door and it opens
      Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
      pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

The passes are probably RFID tags, so unless you're wearing your aluminium trousers the scanner can read them from a couple of centimetres away
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

The dorms where I implemented the same thing this year, and until the novelty wore off several people I knew would use their butts to open doors. Hey, it beat having to fumble for a key when your hands were full or gloved.

Comment

Quoth SnarkyPie View Post
            The dorms where I implemented the same thing this year, and until the novelty wore off several people I knew would use their butts to open doors. Hey, it beat having to fumble for a key when your hands were full or gloved.
            My boyfriend's dorm has that. He wears a kilt, always, and he keeps threatening to get a sporran.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
              My boyfriend's dorm has that. He wears a kilt, always, and he keeps threatening to get a sporran.
              Is it a utility Kilt?

One of my friends has one of those. Black leather/Pleather. He wears his black leather fannie pack in the front and we've called it his Utility Sporran!

Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

That's awesome. I bet that made the drivers day!

Comment

The passes are probably RFID tags, so unless you're wearing your aluminium trousers the scanner can read them from a couple of centimetres away
                  And if you have a scanner strong enough you can read them from ... much farther away.

For that reason I gave mom my Japanese business card holder for her rfid credit card - the card holder is made out of metal.

And that's also why I refuse to get an RFID credit card.

But for train cards... well i still have my japanese train cards. Mostly cos those never had more than 2000 ¥ on them at a time, so not so lucritive to hack since there's no real personal info on it. not like a credit card has

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    And if you have a scanner strong enough you can read them from ... much farther away.

For that reason I gave mom my Japanese business card holder for her rfid credit card - the card holder is made out of metal.

And that's also why I refuse to get an RFID credit card.
                    Do as I plan to, modify your wallet with a few layers of aluminum foil.
                    Otaku

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      background, UTA has switched (mostly) from paper passes to electronic passes (some twats still insist on using paper).
                      Hey, hey, there's a reason I still use paper here on ACTransit. I had two of those cards, but a major glitch screwed up a download and they never worked properly thereafter. The card company, TransLink, was completely unhelpful, and I finally had to do a chargeback through my bank to get my money back (which TransLink fought, and I won). Several people use them, but they actually take as long or longer than the regular tickets to be read. Now, ACTransit is going to have a hearing about discontinuing the paper tickets and I've already written in twice. Calling starts next. I wish I could attend the meeting, but they're holding it during the day, probably to avoid all the commuters who would be screaming over the change.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

wagegoth, the difference between you and the twats, is that UTA's system, and I can't believe I'm saying this about anything UTA, works. The paper system, if it's a unlimited pass takes the same amount of time, but if it's a 10 ride punch card it is literally a punch card... nothing sucks more than sitting there waiting for a driver to fumble with a hole punch, punch on the right slot, then issue a paper transfer. Much easier to just tap the card and have it deduct the trip... and the beautiful thing about it... sense UTA doesn't really have a "one way fare" so to speak (you pay for two hours, you can do whatever travel you want in 2 hours, if you can do your return trip by then all the more power to you, if you aren't finished with your first trip though gotta pony up) all they have to do is not deduct any fares off the card for 2 hours after the first tap.

Comment

Our paper tickets have a magnetic strip that you feed into a reader. The driver looks at a display to see if it is good. That's it.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

yeah, those work quite well... Reno uses those... when I say UTA uses paper I meant they use the REALLY old style punch cards... the ones with the magnetic stripe though are much quicker and faster... I'd hang on to those too.

Comment

This is what we currently use for tickets - TTC transfer, Mississauga tickets and transfer, GO Bus and Train tickets.
                              Attached Files
                              Otaku

Comment

Working...
                              X