Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Classic Example of Selective Reading.

There have been many posts here about how people will see what they want to see in signs. This happened some years ago and sounds like an Urban Legend but, I can assure you, it really happened.

(Caution: Readers might want to make use of Rule 1. I will not be responsible for any damage to monitors or keyboards)

I think we're all familiar with the vertical banners that Museums hang between pillars on their facades to advertise exhibitions or other services the institution offers to the public. This post concerns a set of three.

As you face the Museum, the one on the left read:

"Spring film series FREE with Museum admission"

The one in the center advertised a one-man show. It read:

"William Kelley MARSHALL"

The one on the right was a generic squib to the institution. It read:

"The X Museum of ART"

On the banners, the words in caps were larger than the rest of the script and printed in red. They did stand out but nobody knew what would happen.

There are several High Schools in the immediate area. They share a Subway station with the Museum. When you come out of the Subway, you will be looking the Museum smack in the face.

Within a week after the banners appeared, the information desk reported that they had fielded at least a dozen groups of teens who wanted more information about the "Free Martial Arts Classes". Some even said that their parents had seen the signs and sent them over to ask.

Now, that is really creative, selective reading!
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Words.

Fail.

Well, okay, there's one word for this.

FAIL!
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I'd have told them it wasn't martial art, it was marshall art - where you all sit in a circle and draw horses.

Comment

What I want to know is why William Kelley Marshall needs to be free? Is he in prison? What crime did he commit?!!! Tell me now!!! I need to know!!! The banners said we should free him!!!!

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

OOOOH!
            It makes me so mad when these fuzzy-headed "art" types use our public funds to support these radicals who probably did something perverted or anti-American and now are crying because true patriots and law-abiding citizens caught them and stopped their terroristic, depraved agenda from succeeding.

I am calling that museum and my congressman to complain! This type of thing has GOT to be stopped!

Never mind that I have no idea who this Marshall Art guy is or whether the museum gets any public funding or whether I actually ever bothered to read the whole sign or go to a museum and/or learn about art. Facts are irrelevant to my preconceived, misguided and confused opinion. And how dare you try to correct me! What is your name? I demand to speak to someone in charge here!
            Last edited by South Texan; 01-22-2009, 01:34 PM.
            "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Free Brian!
              Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                What I want to know is why William Kelley Marshall needs to be free? Is he in prison? What crime did he commit?!!! Tell me now!!! I need to know!!! The banners said we should free him!!!!

Nonononoooo . . . that was Earl Hickey, who went to jail for something his dingbat ex-wife did. That's who the banners and the benefit video were for.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Skeksin View Post
                  Free Brian!
                  FREE WINONA!
                  "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Free Hat! .
                    Last edited by Jack7957; 01-25-2009, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Oookay, thanks everyone.

William Kelley Marshall is a good man and not very controversial artist. So far as I know, his run-ins with the law have been only for possible parking violations. The problem here is that the kids saw what they wanted to see in spades.

We all know that shoppers only see "Free", "Sale" or "Half-off". That's bad enough. Reading the word "Free", the word "Marshall", and the word "Art" and turning it into "Free Martial Arts" defies interpretation.
                      Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
                        I'm glad you posted that. Otherwise, I would have had to do it.

Someone should print some "Feel FREE to bite your genitalia OFF" coupons...
                        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
                        X