This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky parenting decision

The other day, I was in my local fabric store. While walking around looking for my needed items, I heard a little girl crying, well more like a constant whining. Her mom told her she could pick something out from the dollar bin area. That was met with crying. This crying/whining carried on for the next ten minutes, non stop. Mom finally made her way to the check out line and decided to go look at something else. Finally, she got back in line and 5 minutes later was out the door. (And this whining could be heard through out the whole store)

I understand needing to run errands with kids, I have three of my own, but I also know their limits and know when not to go out. (Or to cut and run while we are out.)

The kicker of the whole deal, there was another adult with them, her grandmother I think. She didn't seem to be purchasing anything so why didn't one of them take the little girl out to the car??

That irks me to no end.

I am more tolerant when it's someplace necessary like the grocery store. My youngest kid (now 18) was a hellion when he was little, and I only took him when running NECESSARY errands...not something like a fabric store.

My kid would have (and has) gotten his ass busted and marched out the door for less.
    Last edited by Peppergirl; 01-25-2009, 07:46 PM. Reason: Because spelling is my friend
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

As a single parent, I took my kids everywhere with me. They learned at a very young age what was allowed and what was not. I also knew them well enough to know when it was time to stop and take them home. To this day, I can not stand the sound of a child who is whining or crying because a parent doesn't care enough to listen to their child.

Comment

This happened to me, today: A child is playing around on the shelves of fabric and knocks one down and all of the fabric goes with it. His mom tells him he has to clean it up. He doesn't want to, but she makes him do it anyway. It was awesome.

I understand that you can't watch your kid all of the time, but if she had been watching it wouldn't have happened. Although, she turned out alright by making him clean up after himself.
        Check out my cosplay social group!
        http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I'm the mean mommy. I make my daughter clean up her "messes" when we're out and she knocks something off the shelf. She'll start kicking and screaming and crying and I have to bend over and whisper in her ear to pick it up. When that happens she sniffles, cries and continues to misbehave, but she put the stuff away.

As for the dollar stuff? My daughter would be all over it. The Dollar Tree near our house is now her favorite shopping place! (Next to Wal-Mart of course).

Comment

When I was little, and went with my Mom to fabric stores, I amused myself by searching for pins on the floor. At the end of the shopping trip (between 30 minutes to an hour) I would happily hand over a handful of pins to the cashiers. They loved me
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I only had to remove my daughter from the store once. After that, she knew I meant business!

As for cleaning up after herself, she actually cleans up after other people, too. "Mommy, that doesn't go there!" as she moves items that have been put in the wrong place back to their proper spots. Too bad that doesn't yet extend too home, though.
              "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Megg View Post
                As for cleaning up after herself, she actually cleans up after other people, too. "Mommy, that doesn't go there!" as she moves items that have been put in the wrong place back to their proper spots. Too bad that doesn't yet extend too home, though.

If you're close to my neck-of-the-woods, feel free to send her to my house. We can 'pretend' that we're at the grocery and straighten things up.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Megg View Post
                  I only had to remove my daughter from the store once. After that, she knew I meant business!
                  Same here. I walked away from a half full cart at Long's Drug. I apologized to the cashier on the way out when I left the cart. Thankfully, I've been shopping there for years without incident, so they didn't hold it against me. After that, the threat of "We can go home NOW" has worked beautifully.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                  X