This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivious Lady

I was on a train on my way to my parents house, when this lady came along. She was on her phone on the train, and my GOD, she was LOUD. I don't know who the hell she was talking to, but the conversation went on for over 30 minutes. Here are some segments of her conversation:

Lady: YES...WE HAD TO PUT THE CAT TO SLEEP YESTERDAY...YES, VERY VERY SAD, I CRIED A LOT....I GOT HOME AND POOR OLIVIA WAS ASKING WHERE SHE WAS...SHE'S ONLY FOUR SO I HAVE NEVER EXPLAINED DEATH TO HER BEFORE...YES...YES...SO I JUST TOLD HER THAT SCRATCH HAD GONE TO LIVE WITH HER GRANMOTHER FAR AWAY...YES...

Lady: YES...YES THAT SOUNDS GREAT...YES WE SHOULD DO THAT, I LOVE GOING TO THAT PLACE...YES, ME AND MARK DON'T GET OUT VERY MUCH BECAUSE IT'S HARD TO GET A SITTER FOR OLIVIA...BLESS HER.

I looked around the train. It was full of very annoyed looking people who were trying to read and all they could hear was her. One woman looked as though she was going to get up and strike her.

Lady: YES...WELL I WAS AT WORK THE OTHER DAY...YES...YES I HATE HER TOO...

People are getting more and more annoyed...

Lady: OH MY GOD...MY PHONE'S BEEPING, THAT MEANS THE BATTERY IS DYING...DON'T WORRY, I'VE GOT MY SPARE...I'LL CALL YOU IF THE BATTERY GOES...

A passenger met eyes with me, we both shook her heads.

Lady: ACTUALLY...MY STOP IS COMING UP...YEAH...YEAH...YEAH...I'LL CALL YOU WHEN I GET BACK TO THE HOUSE...YES...OK...SEE YOU LATER...BYE...BYE...BYE!!

She hung up.

A couple of minutes later, a really cool passengers phone rang.

RCP: Hi there...yes...can I call you back in about twenty minutes...yes I know but I DON'T WANT TO SHARE MY CONVERSATION WITH THE REST OF THE TRAIN!

The train errupted with applause. The lady went VERY red and hid her face with a magazine.

Seriously, I learned so much about that lady, I could steal her identity.

Cheers to that passenger! Oh, man...I hate the people who give out credit card numbers on the bus. I've taken up staring at them, then taking out a piece of paper and "writing down the number*" to see if they notice.

*I either write Hi in binary or I write down 4511 2569 8743.
    If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

The lie about the cat reminds me of a point/counterpoint I saw in The Onion.

First, there was the mother telling her son that she sent the family dog away to live with a nice farm family.

And then the counterpoint from the dog letting the son know that mom had him put to sleep at the vet.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't shout my conversation on the train or give out sensitive info in such a public location. If I can't hear the other end well enough to keep a low-key conversation going, then I'll ask to call them back.

Moot point, though, because every train I've been on has been a subway, with no signal for my phone, or (once) the train to NYC, where I was with Hubby and thus wouldn't have carried on such a long conversation with someone else. I save my long phone conversations for weekends at home when I can talk to my family without spending extra minutes.

Quoth Balgram View Post
        or I write down 4511 2569 8743.
        I don't get it.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

That was kinda cruel, but I'm a firm believer that people only learn things the hard way, so I approve. It may just keep her from doing something stupid (like making credit card orders via phone) in the future.

Comment

Usually when some airhead (it ALWAYS seems to be middle-aged women) does this next to me in the store and I'm with my wife I'll start commenting loudly about her conversation with generic replies like "Oh I know. Tell me about it!" "Oh yeah I hate that too" "Yeah me too!" My wife gets really annoyed and embarrased when I do that.

Comment

At least lady #1 had the good grace to be aware that the comment was aimed at her, it may even teach her a lesson in manners!

Well, I can hope can't I?
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post

Seriously, I learned so much about that lady, I could steal her identity.
                Someone might have been taking notes planning to do just that.

I bet if the person next to her whipped out a notepad and started writing what she was saying, she might have got the hint.
                I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Quoth Balgram View Post
                  or I write down 4511 2569 8743.
                  Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                  I don't get it.
                  I didn't either. So I googled it. Guess what the first hit is?
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I was listening to some guy on BART talking to a ticketing agent. OMG! He wasn't talking quietly at all, and he mentioned his credit card number and his ticket number and his full name.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

One of the gals from Optical told me that last night she had some woman in the waiting area, blabbering loudly on her cell phone about "how fucking shitfaced" she got sometime in the recent past, and how the person on the other end "should've seen all the shit that happened."

And there were children in the waiting area to listen in on the proceedings.

She asked the woman to get off her cell phone or at least be more quiet, and of course got the cat-butt face.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        She asked the woman to get off her cell phone or at least be more quiet, and of course got the cat-butt face.
                        That reminds me of my friend! She's an RN and had a patient on his cell cussing every other word. She marched into this rooms and said "Sir, this is a hospital and we don't need to hear every word you're saying on the phone, especially if you're going to talk like that"

She then heard him say "hey I should go, I just got yelled at by a nurse for cussing"

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          I didn't either. So I googled it. Guess what the first hit is?
                          I did the same thing, and got a link to "Number Names". So, what's the joke?
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            I did the same thing, and got a link to "Number Names". So, what's the joke?
                            Well, at the time when I googled it, this thread came up as the first hit. Doesn't now.
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I googled it right after Pagan mentioned that and also got this thread. So I still don't get it.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X