Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sure they are now talking about how sucky I am.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give my telephone number out as CApitol 7-2007, which technically is correct*, seeing as we still use the old exchanges in this city. Using the old exchange confuses anybody who's asking long enough for me to make my escape.

You know, you can buy telephone directories organized by number rather than name, with which you can look up someone's address by their telephone number. Or you could just use Google.

*Not really my telephone number.
    You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

I always handed out 770 5519; write it down, hold it up to the light the other way round, and guess what it says? I was a very disturbed teenager.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Around here, you ususally get bugged for zip codes-- they're doing marketing. I have no problems with you doing marketing... but I really hate any intrusive marketing.

I just lie. I figure, if marketing info is off enough, they might stop doing it.

Yeah, where's that "pigs flying" smileycon?

Comment

Give em 867 5309.

Cookies to whoever gets the reference.

Comment

Make sure you say your name is Jenny.

Comment

Quoth HappyCthulhu View Post
              I always use (my area code) 555-1212
              That's the # for toll free info.
              Good luck to any telemarketer that calls me there.
              Um?
              555 is a made up prefix, or so I thought...? Used in movies, and nothing else...
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Actually, 555-1212 is a real number that's like 411. Just directory info.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                  Around here, you ususally get bugged for zip codes-- they're doing marketing. I have no problems with you doing marketing... but I really hate any intrusive marketing.
                  I don't see a zip code as intrusive, given that there are thousands of people in my zip code.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I give em the number of a dead celphone I have...might be evil for whom ever has that # now...but no way am I giving my # unless I have to
                    I love my customers to death, the problem is they aren't dying quick enough.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      I always handed out 770 5519
                      Took me a minute to figure this one out.

VERY clever

I like using the name "Anna Nymous" and a nonsense address for websites
                      that insist on having my information when they don't really need it.

Comment

Quoth Raerlynn View Post
                        Give em 867 5309.

Cookies to whoever gets the reference.
                        Chicago song, IIRC.

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        I don't see a zip code as intrusive, given that there are thousands of people in my zip code.
                        It's not that I'm ticked about giving out personal infomation. It's that I'm ticked about being asked for any information.

It's pretty simple. I want to get in. I want to be able to find stuff relatively easily. I want to be able to check out relatively quickly. I don't mind them asking me if I have a frequent shopper card (no, I refuse to clutter up my wallet, thanks). But I do mind them asking for any information not needed for the transaction. ANY information. I'm usually thinking about the day, or what I'm going to do next, or how to solve a problem... I don't want to be distracted. Period.

Comment

Quoth Raerlynn View Post
                          Give em 867 5309.
                          Somebody did that to me. He gave me the correct area code, and then 867-5309 with a totally straight face.

And of course, I didn't think to call him Jenny until two minutes after he walked out of the store.

Comment

I was going to respond, but Gurndigarn said pretty much ver batum what I was going to say.

Remember the last time you were in a store that did this with a line ahead of you. Now imagine how much faster you'd be out of there if they would just cut the crap and ring you up.

I'm not there to participate in a poll. I'm there to give someone some money, take my goods, and go. I don't mind a little chit chat while the transaction is taking place. But let's not add to the transaction time by asking irrelevant questions.

Comment

I don't mind the zip code or phone number thing too much- mainly because the places I shop at, I don't mind getting coupons from! I do find that places will skip it no problem if you decline giving the information...I know my BF never gives any personal info- even his zipcode- and the cashiers we've dealt with just punched in the zip for the store.

Waldenbooks has a great frequent shopper card. It is free and all they need from you is a phone number with NO area code, so they can't call, but they can still find you if you forget your card. I think they ask for an email address to; I don't remember if that was optional or not, but if you want coupons thats how you get them. I thought that was a great way to get people to have a card, without making them feel like they were being rounded up for future marketers to find.
                              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth opscaddy View Post
                                Okay, so I've never posted before, but I felt like I could add to this discussion in a semi-productive manner.
                                Hey, don't worry about it! I thought that it was a mighty fine first post. And don't worry about productivity-I haven't been productive in years!

Anyways, I've been asked for my phone number before, and that's OK-I was never bothered with telemarketers of any sort. I have asked for people's addresses, but that was when I was returning something-and we do that do ensure that people aren't scamming us by returning over # of times or over # of dollars.
                                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
                                X