This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
    Note: I don't mean the two year olds, or babies; the kids I have seen behaving like this are all at least three years old and some are even older.
    And even then, my two-year-old is far better behaved than that. The only loud noises she makes in the supermarket are giggles, and that's usually because I'm tickling her. (She tilts her head back, I tickle her lightly under the chin, and she giggles and tucks her chin in to get me to stop. Apologies if that's annoying.) Any whining or screaming-threats she makes are quickly met with a warning that such behavior won't be tolerated and we'll have to put back/not get whatever treat she was going to get that shopping trip.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I don't mind giggles, or baby noises; they don't give me a headache like a high pitched screech does. X_x I half expect to see the windows crack.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Ooh, I know the screeches you talk about. ::wince:: Daughter tried that once. My solution was to blow in her face. Caught her off guard, and she didn't try again, especially after a very firm, "We don't do that."
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I have to agree with the above comments about autism. 1 in 150 seems like the human race is screwed. (Though I'll point out, this was an American study, which was only done in the States.)

I'm wondering when someone will study whether there's a correllation between television and ADD/ADHD or certain types of Autism. Almost every kid I've ever cared for (or known) that has been diagnosed as autistic was raised with the boob tube as a babysitter. (I do say "almost", mind.)

As for screaming kids, I advocate a not-so-hard pop to the behind and no dessert after dinner. Fixed me right up, the one time I did it.
          Last edited by protege; 04-01-2009, 03:53 PM. Reason: Cleaned things up a bit :)
          "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

I think that it's becoming more widespread, simply because we understand it a little better now. There are more ways to diagnose and help treat the disorder. Granted, there are always some idiots who will try to use that as an *excuse* for bad behavior.

With that said, my father had his own approach to misbehaving...it usually involved picking up the child by the shirt, and saying something like "look you little..." Crude, but very effective. Needless to say, I turned out fine
            Last edited by protege; 04-01-2009, 03:54 PM. Reason: Protege is an idiot today...
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              You could scream back. Of course, the kid would probably shut up and stare at you in awe, but the parents would go berserk on you for freaking out their little precious.
              lol that just made me think of that ep of family guy where brians in the denny's and screaming back @ the little kid who's crying.

to parents: 'YOU JUST TUNE THAT OUT DONT YOU?? WELL TUNE THIS OUT WAHHHH!'
              Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

They might be enjoying the echo. My mother has a massive kitchen; one day my Auntie brought over my little Cousin to babysit, and the kid, aged one and a half, sat under a tea cart in the kitchen for about an hour going "Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah". Mom said it was because he liked the way his voice sounded in the big kitchen. Holler like that in the parking lot, it just disappears into space; holler like that in a warehouse-sized enclosure, it all doubles back.

Love, Who?

Comment

Quoth TOLady View Post

I find my DH both handsome and handy - gentle nudge works better than the collar .
                  I was beginning to be afraid that I was going to go through four pages and not see a woman bright enough to realize that men are simple creatures that are EASILY swayed with many types of positive reinforcement.
                  Last edited by sms001; 09-08-2009, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                    I'm not so sure about the portable kind...but I'm definetly working on the kind of shock collar that will fit around any man's neck or penis.

OW!! Just, friggin OW! Blas! You cruel woman you.

Marry me! nuptials will inlclude a banning of the shocking tho!
                    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

I was going to mention that electrical shocks cause muscle rigidity, and what the result of that might be in the male crotchal region, but you beat me to it.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                        And even then, my two-year-old is far better behaved than that. The only loud noises she makes in the supermarket are giggles, and that's usually because I'm tickling her. (She tilts her head back, I tickle her lightly under the chin, and she giggles and tucks her chin in to get me to stop. Apologies if that's annoying.)
                        Not annoying, but rather adorable.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          Not annoying, but rather adorable.
                          Agreed. Giggles, babbling and ordinary talking are fine. Banshee screeching, not so much.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            I was going to mention that electrical shocks cause muscle rigidity, and what the result of that might be in the male crotchal region, but you beat me to it.
                            Sorry, dude. There's only really one muscle in the region as far as I understand it, and that's for a sphicter. Don't really want to mess with that. The rest is hydraulics and it won't be affected that way.

Penis defibrillator - won't work. Saw an amusing leasticoulddo.com strip about the concept some time back, though.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              Sorry, dude. There's only really one muscle in the region as far as I understand it, and that's for a sphicter. Don't really want to mess with that. The rest is hydraulics and it won't be affected that way.

Penis defibrillator - won't work. Saw an amusing leasticoulddo.com strip about the concept some time back, though.

Rapscallion
                              Just say NO!

(nitric oxide: required to get "it" up)
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X