Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad is *sorta* similar, but only with tips that I leave. See, I grew up in a household that did. not. tip. ever. We were low-income and my family still struggles financially. Fortunately I'm a little better off, so when I visit, I will buy my Dad lunch/dinner and tip accordingly. But I have to do it when he isn't looking, or he will take all but *maybe* a dollar and give it back to me. He feels that a dollar is overly generous, too bad there isn't a quarter around. I love my Dad, but sheesh
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Whenever I am paying in cash (or tipping in cash as alot of places have the 'add tip' section for debit) I always try to hand the tip directly too my server in order to prevent some asshole from stealing it from the table.
      Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

yeah, when paying cash, if the server is taking the cash I'll try to either put exactly the tip amount over (or close enough to what I intended to tip) or I'll tell the server to take however much out of the change for tip, otherwise I try to give it to the waiter(ress) directly... I really don't like leaving credit card tips thoug because I've heard too many horror stories about companies shorting tips... granted not as many as I've heard about tipmongers, so I may just start using the CC a bit more often.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I was talking to one of the servers at our favorite breakfast restaurant the other day. She said that they've noticed lately that tips are being stolen more often.

Or, people are leaving really craptastic tips. (saw someone yesterday leave a 2 dollar tip for a dinner for 3 people...bill had to be over $35, CC signature slip had a scribble thru the tip line. Jerks!)

My mom has started to get a kick out of handing the tip to the servers now.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            yeah, when paying cash, if the server is taking the cash I'll try to either put exactly the tip amount over (or close enough to what I intended to tip)
            That's what I do. I generally round up, too, so unless all I have will result in a really crazy overtip (say, the bill is 10-something and all I have is a $20), I'll just tell them to keep the change. If that works out to a few percentage points more, so be it.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

"Monger" means maker; "ironmonger" is another name for a blacksmith. So I don't think "tipmonger" is a good term. Try "tipgrabber" instead.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                "Monger" means maker; "ironmonger" is another name for a blacksmith. So I don't think "tipmonger" is a good term. Try "tipgrabber" instead.
                It works in the sense the OP was meaning it to as well.

mon⋅ger  /ˈmʌŋgər, ˈmɒŋ-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [muhng-ger, mong-] Show IPA

–noun 1. a person who is involved with something in a petty or contemptible way (usually used in combination): a gossipmonger.
                2. Chiefly British. a dealer in or trader of a commodity (usually used in combination): fishmonger.

–verb (used with object) 3. to sell; hawk.
                Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Huh, I never thought about my tip being stolen before! I'll try to remember this stuff.

Although I remember when my niece was little and we had all gone to a restaurant and were ready to leave, she came up to us with our tip and said 'Mommy, you left your money!' My sister explained that was for the waitress. My niece then pulled-out ALL this other money from her coat pocket and said 'And all those other people left their money too!' Gah!
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                    Huh, I never thought about my tip being stolen before! I'll try to remember this stuff.
                    I hardly ever worry about the tip being stolen. It's the cash payment for the check that I worry about, especially when it's for a group and is a large sum. I always make sure the wait staff have it firmly in hand before I leave.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

well I may not be a inside server but I DO get those who literally steal my tips at the door when I deliver thier cheezy goodness. the person to whom I refer is a child under the age of 11 that parents send to the door to pay for their delivery pizza order. now some parents think this is SOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!. little do they know their own child has been trained in the arts of SCism and stealing

first off I will say that some parents send their small kids to the door just to not have to face me when I am going to get like 30 cents for tip (ya know the big serial stiffers).

most kids however are just cute and hand you the money or take the CC slip for the parent to sign. I hand them the pizza, being sure to remind them to be careful with the pizzas

then there are the kids who are nothing but lying stealing little turds.

for example the most common scene.
                      I hustle up to the door with said order. small child answers the door with a fist full of money. I ask them for the money and everything is nice until:
                      the little snot asks the total.

then looks at the money in his hand then at me then at the money. he then counts out money to just above the order total and then

and pockets the rest of the money ie. MY TIP

then hands me the remaining money and wants the food. in this situation there is NOTHING I CAN DO. I just lost like a $4TIP to some [removed by mods] reject.

I would really like to call the parents and tell them striaght up their so called child just pocketed a bunch of moeny and is a thief in training but I can not

well I did one time and I know said small male child did get into trouble. but in general I have to loose money to these thieves
                      Last edited by Dips; 09-18-2009, 08:26 PM. Reason: removed vile name for child
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Funny, today one of my regulars took 3 cents out of our tip jar to pay for her coffee - and she never has tipped before that I have seen. I let it slide this time but I will politely tell her not to do that if she does it again. Some people might think they are take-a-penny-leave-a-penny jars, which are common in variety stores and drugstores around here.

Comment

When I was a waitress a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...I mean a long time ago, we did have a bus boy who stole the tips off our tables. I always thought he was joking about it, till I saw him do it. I warned the other wait staff, so they could hurry over to their tables to get their tips before Mr. Sticky Fingers got there.

My husband and I never leave the tip on the table, because we don't know if someone is going to swipe it before our waitperson gets it. We either hand it to them or put the tip on our credit card.
                          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

cheese, never let that crap slide; once they do it, they'll spout the old argument, "but i was allowed to last time," every time they try. best to nip that behavior in the bud and bonus points if you embarrass the crap out of them for being a scum sucking thief.
                            look! it's ghengis khan!
                            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                              cheese, never let that crap slide; once they do it, they'll spout the old argument, "but i was allowed to last time," every time they try. best to nip that behavior in the bud and bonus points if you embarrass the crap out of them for being a scum sucking thief.
                              Well now that I no longer work there I might as well say this was at Starbucks. I checked with a manager there about this and they said the customer can do that if they want.

Comment

Quoth Can I have a cheeseburger View Post
                                Well now that I no longer work there I might as well say this was at Starbucks. I checked with a manager there about this and they said the customer can do that if they want.
                                Which is totally in character for Starbucks, a company that believes "The Customer Is Always Right" past the point of insanity.

I suspect they're thinking they have to be obsessive on customer service so people will keep paying for that overpriced swill they call coffee, instead of getting it from McDonalds. But haven't they always been like that?
                                Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 11-25-2009, 02:34 AM.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X