This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ha! They had no idea.

Ok so my mom just told me this story. She was in a Dunkin' Donuts (NOT MINE) and she was with my aunt and they sat down and these two other ladies wanted to know if they could sit next to them since there was no more room left. My aunt said sure. The ladies thought my mom and my aunt didn't want them to sit next to them so they started to badmouth them in Spanish. Little did they know my mom and aunt understand and speak Spanish fluently, even though we're Italian. My aunt turned to them and started speaking Spanish to them and they froze up. I bet that would've been hilarious to see if I was there. That's why I tell my mother to not badmouth anyone in Italian because you never know who can understand it.

See, this is why when my coworker friends and I talk crap about others, we use special nicknames and made up words. That way they have no idea what we're talking about.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Amen!! I don't speak Spanish very well but I understand it very well. I worked in a restaurant and many of the hispanic guys would try to trash talk the fact that my hubby is a white guy and I am mexican(why it mattered to them is a mystery) but I knew exactly what they said. Finally annoyed, when the trash talkers started to scatter at the end of their break a fellow worker came in and asked me what's up. I told her basically what the talkers said about me and the hubby. they learned to keep quiet.
      "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Maybe they were jealous.

Comment

Coulda been but they would have been unhappy with me.I like to be in a 50/50 relationship. That usually isn't the case with mexican men. It's not that I'm not proud of my heritage. I love mi Mexican familia. I have dated latin men and I just happened to prefer this white boy. Plus I just wasn't treated very well by them either.
          "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

A lot of people speak spanish where I live. I'm tempted to take a course just so I know what people are yelling at me! (Never mind I had it for 4-years in high-school and just barely know how to ask where the bathroom is)
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              A lot of people speak spanish where I live. I'm tempted to take a course just so I know what people are yelling at me! (Never mind I had it for 4-years in high-school and just barely know how to ask where the bathroom is)
              I took 3 years of it in high school, I can understand it pretty well (except when they talk really fast) but I'm a little rusty in writing and speaking Spanish since I didn't practice as much as I should've. If I'm gonna bad mouth anyone, I say it as softly as possible so they won't hear it or use names/words they won't understand.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                I'm borrowing as many Rosetta Stone kits as the library will let me, and cramming as many languages as my brain will hold.
                Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
                  I'm borrowing as many Rosetta Stone kits as the library will let me, and cramming as many languages as my brain will hold.
                  Currently: 3
                  Increasing by one: Sometime next year.

http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                  Melody Gardot

Comment

Quoth Panigg View Post
                    Currently: 3
                    Increasing by one: Sometime next year.

Is Rosetta Stone reliable enough? I want to learn Italian and my mother recommended I use that, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Comment

Quoth tinamarble88 View Post
                      Is Rosetta Stone reliable enough? I want to learn Italian and my mother recommended I use that, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.
                      I dunno about the Rosetta Stone (never tried it but heard some good reviews), but one good way to learn another language is watch a show/movie in that language with English subtitles. A good friend of the family can speak fluent Japanese after all the anime he's watched over the years.
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                        I dunno about the Rosetta Stone (never tried it but heard some good reviews), but one good way to learn another language is watch a show/movie in that language with English subtitles. A good friend of the family can speak fluent Japanese after all the anime he's watched over the years.
                        I plan on using that method for practicing the written language, mostly by importing games I'm already familiar with, or switching their language options.
                        Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                          If I'm gonna bad mouth anyone, I say it as softly as possible so they won't hear it or use names/words they won't understand.
                          My personal favorite is to learn the fingerspelling alphabet (the American one, British doesn't work as well) and just fingerspell rude words with my hands either behind my back or in my pocket. Very therapeutic.

When we went to Spain years ago, some guys on the subway were talking about us, nothing really bad but just commenting on our presence. I responded to part of it and they got that 'oh crap they understand me' look. I love that look
                          NPCing: the ancient art of acting out your multiple personality disorder in a setting where someone else might think there's nothing wrong with you.

Comment

I recommend Pimsleur over Rosetta Stone. I used it to quickly learn basic Italian when I move to Naples.

As for the badmouthing in another language...Had that happen to me. A lot. One more recent incident, I went to a grocery store here and two teenagers thought it'd be funny to badmouth me in Italian (I don't wear a parka in 75 degree weather, unlike most of the Italian women here, and I paint my nails blue. Go figure, that's enough to joke about.)

I knew their mother.
                            "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

heh, happened to my sister's sister-in-law
                              she's at a mechanic in russia getting her car worked on and the mechanics start talking to each other in a local dialect about how they're going to take her for a ride w/ extra charges etc...

she proceeds to tell them exactly what she wants done to the car - using the same dialect.

Comment

Working...
                              X