This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not the socks, it's your feet

This is still haunting me, mainly because the heels of my socks keep wearing-out. I am on my feet a lot and do a lot of walking for work, and in my hobbies.

This last holiday there was a sock stand where I work. They looked like nice socks, I picked the Nolyn (some new blend, keeps your feet dry) all the same size, and bought about 4-packs of 3. These were $18 a pack.

Well, I broke-open a pack and started wearing them (note: I wash stuff on cold and dry low-heat). After no less than 3-wearings, every pair of socks wore holes through the heels. NEVER have my socks worn through so fast. I've had socks from the dollar store for over a year with no wear. This happened when I was wearing one pair of boots. So I switched to another pair, with a new pair of socks. Socks got holes again.

I found the stand in another location and spoke to them, hoping for replacements. Their response: I must have narrow heels and the friction is causing the holes. Funny, because I have wide feet. Oh no, I'm told that you can have wide feet but narrow heels, and that there must be too much movement in my shoes. I don't buy that, but what am I going to do? They don't seem ready to stand-up for their '100% satisfaction gauranteed' policy. And the sellers were the owners, so no luck there.

Holes in 3-days on $18 socks, when year-old cheap socks are still perfectly good. But the problem is OBVIOUSLY with my feet. Hmmmmm.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

The next step I would take is to complain to the company directly. See if they have a web presence and a contact point.

If that doesn't work out, I would put up polite negative reviews on every review site you can find and never buy them again. Not a lot you can do past that.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I have wide feet and narrow heels so I get holes in the same place. Best thing I have found is wearing men's socks with the extra althletic padding for the heels and toes.

Other then that I like Geek King's post.

Comment

I've gotten to the point in my life that I feel I deserve really good socks. Ive become a fan of the SmartWool brand or anything on sale in the REI Hiking Socks

Comment

I bought some socks once that started pilling on the bottom when I wore them. I exchanged them and had the same thing happen. Then I realised it was the label on the insole of my shoe. I removed the label and had no more problems. Why the label didn't affect the socks I had earlier, I don't know. (I googled "fabric pilling" and found out man-made fabrics are more subject to pilling than natural fabrics.)
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I agree with Geek King's post, but a good pair of (the athletic kind) cotton socks always work.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I have wide feet (or square feet as my mom says) and narrow heels. My socks don't wear at the heels, but I wear holes in my athletic shoes from the inside out.
              "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks...One can never have enough socks
                Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Complaining Without Being Sucky

I learned to knit socks. It takes some doing, but it can be worthwhile. To make a tougher heel, you knit the heel on needles one size smaller than you knit the rest of the sock.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I usually do wear cotton socks, but when they get damp they tend to wrinkle under my arch. That's why I really liked those new socks, cause they pulled the moisture away from my feet.

I guess I can go back to cotton and just keep a spare to change into half-way through the day.

Thanks for the advice!
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I'd suggest going to an athletic company like Nike or Underarmour and buying socks from them. They're coming out with moisture control socks now so the feets, they are all happy.
                      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

my favorite long lasting socks... those hiking socks, or 511 brand socks

Comment

Working...
                        X